1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nuff Said

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Roy Kling, May 25, 2024.

1. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Add two A's and arrange the letters and you have America... Maybe that's what the person was trying to convey... That's what this Vietnam Marine veteran, has to say!... Brother Glen:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it. Several countries in western Europe have programs where families after WWII adopted an American grave to tend. Many of these are passed down through the generations. They're very proud and take it as an honor to tend the graves. I believe the flag and hand written, ''Merci'' is a genuine thanks, possibly from one who was under the nazi heel for a time.

BTW, that cemetery is in Normandy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My bad... Looking further at the cross the date is 1944... And merci is French... Brother Glen:oops:

5. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No worries, brother. Few of us here in the states are aware of honors bestowed by some European families. They do this not only as thanks, but because they know the families of the dead can't always visit the graves of their loved ones.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we, in America, remember the fallen from our families, whether at Tippecanoe or the Battle of the Bulge, we also remember those from other families from 1776 to the present day. Here is "Nuff Said" by a hero of mine:

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth, on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln

November 19, 1863. ​

• Like Like x 1
  7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife’s uncle is buried there… the people in the community attend to his grave… we send money for that.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the day, mothers sent all their male adult kids into WW2 to fight… that’s what they did and sometimes none of them came back. Luckily my wife’s grandmother’s sons all came back save one… he died in Market Gardens flying a rickety glider in an attempt to surprise the NAZI. My wife laid it all out for me in pictures on the interned this morning. And surprise surprise, when I went out to hang up my American flag I noticed not one person in my neighborhood had one hanging out there in support. Very sad state we live in! Shameful actually.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sad indeed. Even sadder is what the young consider a hero these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To quote my wife, “Jesus is my hero.”

• Winner Winner x 2