1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nursing baby doll

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a new baby doll on the market. - The child puts on a halter and then she can "nurse" her doll.

I found some links for it, but I would rather not post - (you can Google)

What if a young boy wants one of these dolls?

Thoughts?

2. targus

targus New Member

My first thought is that there are a whole lot of other more important things that little girls (and boys) need to learn about being a parent.

BTW - since when did mothers need a halter to nurse?

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The doll does not actually nurse on a child or anyone else. The child places a sensor on their shirt and the doll makes nursing sounds when it's head is close to the sensor.

I think it's stupid.

Here's why.

If this representative for the toy actually believes that our culture is remiss in not fostering breast-feeding, then he and his company need to provide some education training, information packets, and guest speakers for ADULTS who actually have babies.

These children who play with these dolls will no more make a connection to the wonders and benefits of breast-feeding when they are adults as a child who plays with a Spirograph will years later make a connection with engineering feats.

It's a dumb idea and a weak, weak argument supporting the doll.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

LOL, I think a child that can't figure out how to pretend to breast feed her baby doll hasn't watched a real mother actually breast feed a real baby.

I don't think this particular doll is gross or an abomination or anything. Just an unnecessary and expensive piece of plastic.

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Didn't read it, but like the idea. So many mom's don't nurse and kids need an example.
    I remember practically falling on the floor busted up laughing watching my kids play when they were little...I nursed and they tried to repeat the behavior with stuffed animals and such.

Dolls and toys can be used as teaching tools. This is one.

A boy with this kind of doll? I'm not against boys having dolls, but it would be dumb to buy a boy this doll as males don't nurse children. Unless someone is looking to help a therapist earn his wages later on, why would anyone buy this for a boy? It's illogical.

But I think I like the idea of it for girls. Many have never even seen a baby nurse and grow up thinking it's weird or gross. When it's not impossible for a baby to be nursed, it's best to do the most natural thing and go ahead and nurse. And good for kids to learn that. And if they see it they don't need the doll but if they want it, who cares? Just teach them where it's appropriate to play with the doll or just start 'em early on learning how to use a nursing blanket/shield cover in public places.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it's a bad thing. I remember my oldest trying to nurse her stuffed animals while I nursed her little sister. It was no different than her playing with her mini vacuum cleaner when I swept the floor, or her having a play vanity set to do her hair and make-up. Little girls naturally want to imitate their mommies. Nothing wrong with that.

We have dolls that eat, cry, and pee their pants. Having a doll that breast feeds seems to go along with that. That said, I don't think non-nursing moms would buy this for their children, so the toy company really isn't going to change anybody's mind about breast feeding, if that's what they are trying to do. I also wouldn't think a little boy would want to be caught dead with a toy like this!