1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Attended Hate America Sermon by Wright

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by leesw, Mar 17, 2008.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess you could argue that point, but I would still like to be able to hear the entire sermon

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I find it quite hypocritical that "Black America" finds comfort in their roots in Africa that has always and still takes part in slavery but wants to condemn the United States for its past. The truth is that this victimization mentality is a political tool to gain power and advance an agenda. It lacks sincerity and integrity.

3. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's getting quite a bit of attention here in WV. Our talk radio has been buzzing with callers about this issue. Also, Hillary Clinton is visiting WV tomorrow and I'm sure even more will be asked/said about the subject then.

4. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Actually, Just to the north of where I am there is a historical site that was a Southern Plantation owned and ran by Black slave owners.

Kingsley Plantation

5. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Stop thinking with your guilt and think of what it takes to help a man and his culture get out of the quagmire it is in. Make him face up to his own responsibilities.
    People's problems regardless of color is that they are failing to take charge of their own responsibilities. Get over the past and stop trying to lay the guilt of their world on the doorstep of every hard working American.

6. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

You know, I have about had it up to here about this "white man's fault" attitude. It must end and end now. I and my direct blood line had never owned a slave. Why even my last name Hall has slavery all over it. Unlike the noble names Hall refers to the servant that worked in the halls of the Nobleman. At some point in history an ancestor of mine was a dirt poor slave. In my life I've been refused jobs because of quotas, I've been turned down loans because I did not fit a certain income. I've been unable to get job promotions because of quotas and that is aside the point. I took responsibility and got own with my life. It is time others did the same.
    So why, tell me, why must I bear the guilt for what has happened?

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

West Virginia has a population of just under 2 million people. The city I live in has around 4 million.

So, even if everyone in WV was talking about this story, it is only a drop in the bucket when compared to the rest of the United States.

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

It's big news in our "little" city of 8 million plus! I hear lots of people talking about it over lunch today. It's big news all over the Internet! It's big news because a whole lot of America doesn't like what was said in Obama's church and the potential connection with such thinking that his membership there implies. Even his explanation speech today opens up more questions and concerns. It'll probably be big news for at least a little while longer.

9. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

The race pimps have to keep fanning the "white man's attitude" in order to continue to have influence over those that buy that garbage. It's much more difficult to actually do something positive to improve one's self, one's family, one's relatives, etc. than it is to blame all the problems on others.

10. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Yes, indeed! We need to understand that the world was engaged in overt slavery for generations and it is America, in large measure, that corrected this wrong over the course of its history. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to take note that, with some possible minor exceptions, the nations of Africa lag far behind us in the treatment of their own citizens even to this day. The "committment to Africa" should probably be one that inspires them to be more like us!

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This is strange! My "history book" notes a progression of abolishing slavery, slave trading, etc. by England that culminated in the slavery abolition law of 1833 but, even then, with some exceptions. My "history book" also notes that this was a long time after America became America! In fact, come to think of it, one of the reasons we desired freedom was because we didn't like being "slaves" of the King of England. Further, I'm not aware of America ever having a colonial empire extending around the world to milk for their resources of both land and people. America remains the greatest nation ever! It will pale by Heaven, it may decline, but it has made a positive mark on man's history of self-governance and maximum liberty for its citizens and residents including the descendants of slaves brought here during the time such was permitted.

#52 Dragoon68, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This is absolutely correct!

13. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you want political power and undeserved money.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

This story doesn't matter at all for me, but thats me.

Do you think this story will have the same coverage all the way until November?

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    England outlawed slavery in 1807, there where other acts passed later to close some loopholes and deal with the slaves already in the country. So it was a progression as is every law of that kind of magnitude that is passed. You are right, I was thinking of the groups formed in 1773 for the abolishment of slavery

Since I am a person of color and would have been felt the stings of such things as separate but equal, denied opportunities and perhaps even violence just because of where my mother was born. I don't have any "white guilt".

I am not advocating for the elimination of individual responsibility, I am a Baptist, I love individual freedom and responsibility. People must work and strive regardless of their color if they hope to achieve anything in this society. But we must be careful to understand that in many cases, the playing field is not level, even today, for people of color. In many cases the playing field is not level because of systemic problems rooted in our history that must be dealt with before we can "just get over it".

I will give you one example...How many of the 120 NCAA Division 1 college football players are black? Roughly about 60-70%

How many head coaches are black? 6

There are a lot of reasons and explanations that could be made for such a low number, but whatever they are, only 6 head coaches reveals a systemic problem with the hiring practices of head coaches in this country. In fact the NFL had to implement the Rooney Rule to insure minorities where given a fair chance to interview for head coaching jobs.

We can't change the past or even make up for it all we can effect is the here and now, but we can't intelligently do that if we will not deal with the issues that stained our past.

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Dunno if you meant it this way or not, but this post gives a very arrogant impression.

17. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Personal attack snipped

#58 Magnetic Poles, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  18. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You sure have a lot to say about something that "doesn't matter" to you!

Who knows how long it will last? I don't! All kinds of things can happen between now and November! All it takes is a word or two.

19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Neither do I and I don't plan to start!

This is an old argument! Who knows for certain the answer? I sure don't! Maybe there just happens to be more black college students that are interested in playing football and are really good at it. Maybe there just happens to be more white educators that are interested in coaching football and are really good at it. I don't think, in either case, it's because one is black or one is white. Further, I don't care!

I do know you can take various demographics - warriors, inmates, executives, drug dealers, lawyers, engineers, doctors, policemen, low-income, high-income, etc. - and come up with all kinds of implications.

The fact is no one really forces anyone to be anything except what they choice to be and pray hard and work hard to get. Any person of any race can excel at just about anything in this great country or they can wallow in resentment and entitlement. That includes all races! Are there challenges and disappointments? Yes! But no where else is there such opportunity for achievement.

We really need to stop complaining and stop trying to "right an injustice" that no longer exists.

I think the biggest hindrance to success is lack of motivation - not opportunity - to do what it takes.

#60 Dragoon68, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008