1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Endorses Mosque Project Near Ground Zero Site

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jedi Knight, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would? Now don"t say that. This is being done to aggregative & anyone who doesn't know it is not thinking with their heads.

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If you read my entire post you would see that I do understand.

That however does not mean that I would not die to defend freedom of religion for all Americans. If it is taken from one group no one's right would be safe.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ken, here is a link from CNN that shows a map of the surrounding areas that were affected by the terrorist act of 9-11.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.center/damage.map.html

As you can see, there was structural damage to buildings far from ground-zero. If you were to ask the people who own these buildings or who were at work in those buildings that day if their building is/was where "it happened", you might not get a whole-hearted "yes", but you aren't going to get a whole-hearted "no" either.

The mosque in question is only two and a half blocks away from ground zero. It's definitely in the circle of surrounding areas that also received damage. And it's absolutely in the circle of surrounding areas that all Amercans perceive as where "it happened".

Yes, everyone here at the Baptist Board knows that there is nothing that we or anyone can do to stop this from happening. Don't think us to be idiots. We know that there will be a Muslim community center and mosque built exactly where they want it to be built.

You are all about supporting these people's property rights.

Well, do not deny the people here the right to oppose the selection of the site because we feel that it is improper, insensitive, carelessly thought out, and for propaganda's sake only.

To keep silent, wring our hands, and to just gutlessly take it where it hurts because we know that we can't infringe on anyone's "property rights" is absurd.

Making this issue about property rights is like making rape victim's case about the predator's sexual needs. It's like taking the Titanic tragedy and making all about the free speech rights of the young man who neglected to wire for help quickly enough.

For the Muslims in the American and all around the world who supported what happened on 9-11, they will be having victory celebrations and you know it. This is purely for propaganda only.

And I will not step down from my opinion about this merely because those Muslims have "property rights".

Yes, they have property rights. But do you REALLY believe that those property right supercede the bigger picture here?

#43 Scarlett O., Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Thank you Scarlet.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Home run.

And I'll keep complaining...even though it makes me appear less "enlightened." I can't use the force of the state to stop it (and wouldn't if I could)...but I can point out that these goons aren't the least bit interested in "dialogue" or "tolerance" or whatever the feel-good buzzword of the day is. Those who believe them are gullible--and that's being very kind.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saudi Arabia.

HankD

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You dont need a PhD in meteorology to know that a storm of violence is brewing over this and that is exactly the desired outcome.

HankD

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would invite you down to the City since you are in NY State to see the unavailing of this abomination. You would be there to stop me from being the 1st to urinate on the side of the building. Im sure there will be lines out to Jersey & LI for that act of civil disobedience.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Google Eire to see where I am.

These people have every right in the world to build this. Freedom of religion means freedom. While I think this is a shameful act, I would hate to see America start robbing religious freedom because the majority doesn't like it. Once that precedent is set no one's rights are safe.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

BTW I am sure your Christ honouring response to this building will do much to draw men to the Saviour.

11. targus

targus New Member

How is expressing one's freedom of speech against this community/prayer center robbing anyone of their religious freedom?

I would hate to see America start robbing someone of their freedom of speech because the minority doesn't like it.

Once that precedent is set no one's rights are safe.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

We must be on two different planets. If you read my posts you will see that I have clearly expressed my disapproval.

I would hate to see them legally prevented or restricted from doing so.

13. targus

targus New Member

If they were prevented by legal means - what would be the problem?

14. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Okay. Poorly worded on my part. Pardon my ignorance.

I would never support seeing their constitutional freedom of religion restricted, even by any means no matter how I feel personally about the matter.

15. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Remember, whatever means used here to stop this may one day be used against your church.

16. targus

targus New Member

There are already restrictions on churches.

Many communities restrict the building of churches to areas other than residential areas.

Many communities require a certain number of handicap parking spaces for a church of a particular size.

Many communities have height restrictions on buildings.

Are you proposing that there be no restrictions on churches such as the above just because they are churches.

How about door to door evangelizing at 3 in the morning?

Would you be against restrictions limiting that?

If those sort of restrictions would apply to this mosque - shouldn't the local community have the right to see that the mosque is not built in violation of their existing regulations.

Do they have to just roll over because in this case it is a muslim building?

17. FR7 Baptist

FR7 Baptist Active Member

First and Fourteenth Amendments to the Constitution.

18. targus

targus New Member

If they violate the Consititution - then they would not be legal would they?

Is every single activity protected by the 1st and 14th amendments?

How about child sacrifice?

That would be a restriction on someone's religion no doubt.

Does the 1st and 14th amendment protect that too under the name of religious freedom?

Some issues require thought and not just some reflexive response.

#58 targus, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2010
  19. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Why do the Muslims what to build a mosque at this particular location?

Do they own the land on which it would be built?

Are there any deed restrictions or zoning ordinances prohibiting it?

Why should the President of the United States actively endorse it?

20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Agreed! We are too quick to hang an argument on one article of the Constitution just as we are to hang it on one verse of scripture.