1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama forgets about the Sunlight

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by matt wade, Feb 14, 2009.

1. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

President Obama has a policy called "Sunlight Before Signing" (http://www.barackobama.com/issues/ethics/#earmarks) which is part of his "ethics" policy. In this policy he says that he "will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days."

He's already broken this promise on the "Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act" and then he broke is again with the signing of the State Children's Health Insurance Program Legislation.

Now that the Stimulus Plan has been approved by Senate (on 2/13/2009), he plans to sign it on 2/16/2009.

Is it ethical to break promises?

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The stimulus is considered an emergency (at least to most of us it is).

He signed Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act on 1/29 which was 9 days into his presidency. He told us in the campaign he would sign so I say the clock started on 1/20 on both of those bills he signed.

3. matt wade

We must classify an emergency differently. Do you honestly (really, be honest) believe that an additional 3 days is going to make a difference on this stimulus plan?

The Lilly Act passed House on the 27th. He signed it on the 29th. He said that he would give the public 5 days to view the bill. There was only 2 days between the House passing and his signing. You can't excuse that away. The form the bill was in during his campaign is not the same as the form of the bill before he signs it. Both the Senate and the House modified it.

As for the SCHIP Bill, he signed it in the same day it passed through Congress.

Neither of these was even close to an emergency. Neither bills go into effect for months.

LeBuick, if you have read my posting at all you know that I call people out on both sides of the aisle. Be fair and admit that this is a broken promise.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Say it ain't so!

A politician breaking a promise!!!

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Well Roger, you know they only seem to count it if it's a Democrat doing it... I stand by my conviction that they are ALL corrupt and should be replaced.

6. matt wade

I'm with you. I can only think of one politician that I trust (and I think you are one of the ones that trust him as well).

7. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Hmm, maybe the King of kings :) :thumbsup:

8. matt wade

Obviously I trust Him...but I don't call him a politician ;).

9. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I admit it appears to be... We'll have to see how things go once he settles in. He hasn't had a full month in office yet.

10. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Yea, I think we're talking about the same man. Dr. Ron Paul.

Even him though, I don't necessarily trust him, I just respect him and believe he is above the frey somewhat.

I honestly believe that many people come to Washington with good intentions.. Many people I see on a Local level that do well, do good things for the community, then they get to State level and it slips a bit... then they get to the National level and things go off the deep end.

I generally believe that the "people" in Washington aren't bad in so much as the process they are trapped in.

The only way I see them fixing the process is to remove them all and start over again. Let's hold an election where no incumbent can run, no one that has ever been "close" to Washington can run and where if your family is "in politics" you can't run... Then let's see who find that is worth while and start new!

Sadly that will never happen. :(