1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama In Trouble

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Feb 20, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those are some of the wonkier things he's done. (There are others: introducing legislation to make it illegal for tax preparers to sell personal information, for instance, and legislation on chemical plant security and lead paint.) He has done other things that are more high-profile, including:

* His "health care for hybrids" bill

* An Energy Security Bill

* Various bills on relief for Hurricane Katrina, including aid for kids and a ban on no-bid contracts by FEMA

* A public database of all federal spending and contracts

* Trying to raise CAFE standards

* Veterans' health care

* Making certain kinds of voter intimidation illegal

* A lobbying reform bill (with Tom Coburn), which would do all sorts of good things, notably including one of my perennial favorites, requiring that bills be made available to members of Congress at least 72 hours before they have to vote on them.

* And a proposal to revamp ethics oversight, replacing the present ethics Committee with a bipartisan commission of retired judges and members of Congress, and allowing any citizen to report ethics violations. This would have fixed one of the huge problems with the present system, namely: that the members have to police themselves.

- www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x2983845

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    People who don't want to see improvement in the welfare of the average man and woman in these United States, who care more about the wealthy than they do about the vast majority of people in these United States. People who want to see the continuation of the Bush-McCain policy of foreign adventurism.

3. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I couldn't have said it better.

I wonder just how many dozens of idiotic attacks like this will be posted here before January 10, 2009, when Obama is sworn in as 44th President of the United States of America.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==I don't know why you supported Ron Paul if you truly believe that one of the federal government's jobs is to solve people's problems. That is not the job of the federal government.

5. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many of the things you listed in your string of quotes from Democratic websites were accomplishments and how many were just part of the day to day job of a senator. There is a big difference between a legislative accomplishment and doing his job. I don't doubt that Obama did his job (though He, McCain, and Hillary are not doing their jobs now yet they are still getting paid).

Btw, the man who started all of this is a liberal democrat (ie...Chris Matthews of MSNBC).

6. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

That's why it makes sense.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The same reasons why I support Senator Obama - the protection of civil liberties and a pro-America foreign policy.

#27 KenH, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  8. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==How does Barak Obama's big governmenet policies protect civil liberties? Remember that everytime you give government power you are subtracting from our freedoms. Small, limited government is the way to go.

As for foreign policy, my position has not changed. I respectfully disagree with John McCain's view of Iraq. However I believe McCain has the experience and maturity to handle Iraq in an acceptable manner. Barak Obama is not going to pull our troops out of Iraq. He can stand there and say he will all day and all night, but I don't believe it. If he gets into the White House he will get hammered with all the problems and complications of pulling out. Mark my word, if he gets into office his position on Iraq will soften.

#28 Martin, Feb 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2008
  9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess we'll see come January 20, 2009. :)

Regardless, I think I will like Senator Obama's policy in Iraq better than that of Senator McCain.

10. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, I'm not sure Obama is pro-American (that would make eveyone else anti-American in their foreign policy). :laugh:

I know you are enamored with Obama's rhetoric on Foreign Policy, but wouldn't you be more comfy with him as Sec of State? :thumbs:

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I want Senator Joe Biden as Secretary of State.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

That's a good idea. After all, Joe thinks that Obama is "articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy,". He's a shoo-in!

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Biden is one of the few democrats - certainly compared to who's left - that's honest about Iraq. He knows we cannot possibly have everyone out of Iraq immediately. It will take time or else a massive destabilization will occur. I give him credit. And he has a great admiration for Helms and Thurmond, whom he worked with (and spoke at Thurmond's funeral). I appreciate someone willing to be bipartisan for the good of our country.