1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama needs an understanding of "law-abiding person".....

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Scarlett O., May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Have you ever broken a law?

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

To abide by something is to ahere to it. To adhere means to hold to something consistently. A law abiding person is one who holds to the laws of the land consistently. It doesn't mean they've never done anything wrong, because then there would be no law abiding people in this world. The law abiding person tried to keep the laws of the land. Someone that is here illegally is in constant violation of the laws of the land. That person did not go through the legal channels. This isn't a one time offense, it is a constant offense, a constant state of law breaking. Such a person is not a law abiding person.

3. targus

targus New Member

Get back to me when you have something... :sleep:

4. rbell

rbell Active Member

Crabby, do you stretch good before bending over backwards to justify everything Obama says?

Why is it so hard for you to admit that he's wrong on something?

Frankly, it gets funny watching you steadfastly refuse to admit--ever--that perhaps Obama's on the wrong side of an issue.

Just put on the big boy pants and say, "yep, he's wrong." We promise not to laugh.

Much.

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually I was responding to those who seem to have the I am so much holier-than-them attitude.

6. targus

targus New Member

That is your standard operating procedure after all - take the thread off topic and never ever answer a direct question.

When Obama said, "...no law abiding person -- be they an American citizen, illegal immigrant..." was he correct ?

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    CTB, I don't want to fight with you and I wasn't going to say anything to you until you brought up the "holier-than-thou" attitude.

That wasn't why I posted this thread. And if you knew me, you'd know that there ain't no way on THIS earth, that I could ever make that claim.

You quoted me and asked me some questions. I will answer them.

They can't. At least I can't. And you know what? The five times that I've driven significantly over the speed limit over the last 30 years, I have been pulled over by the State Police and been given severe tickets. The last one cost me over $250. You see, I had to pay a consequence for my illegal behavior.

I've never done this.

I've definitely never done this. But for the people who DO this and get caught and audited in this country, there are HEFTY fines to pay, back taxes to pay, and jail time. There are consequences to these actions that are enforced.

Yes, I consider myself one. I abide by the law in that I try to obey it and when I do not, I pay the consequence and don't gripe about it. When I have received a speeding ticket, I thank the officer for doing his job and I PAY THE FINE. That's law-abiding. Obey the law and pay the consequences for disobedience.

These people who are living here illegally and NOT paying a consequence for doing so are not law-abiding. Part of abiding by the law is to pay the penalty for when you break it.

I don't want to be intentionally mean or cruel to any Mexican who tries to come here illegally. I have taught several children whose parents came here illegally from Mexico and from Guatemala. But once they entered illegally, they took the necessary steps to acquire legal status. And today, they are citizens.

There are Arizona citizens who have been endangered and even killed by illegals crossing the border.

There has GOT to be an enforcement of the law.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Good responses, Scarlett. That guarantees that CTB will exit the thread.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

>An illegal alien is not law abiding - no matter how you wish to spin it.

But "True Believer" Christians have no interest in enforcing all the laws but only the laws thay they think they will never violate. This goes for civil law and God's law. Driving over the speed limit is not law abiding - no matter how you wish to spin it.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

>They can't. At least I can't. And you know what? The five times that I've driven significantly over the speed limit over the last 30 years, I have been pulled over by the State Police and been given severe tickets. The last one cost me over $250. You see, I had to pay a consequence for my illegal behavior.

What does "significantly" have to do with anything" Is adultary and theft OK if we don't do it significantly?

You have only driven significantly over the speed limit 5 times in the last 30 years and got caught EVERY time? Anyone else believe that statement? The odds of that being true are about the same as the odds of abiogenesis happening a 2nd time.

11. targus

targus New Member

Making stuff up isn't the same as making an argument.

On what basis do you assume that everyone goes over the speed limit?

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Law abiding does not mean that you never break a law or never sin. I don't know where people are getting that from.

Only Jesus was capable of that. Man is not.

Part of abiding by the law is accepting and paying the consequences for breaking the law.

The law doesn't say, "Drive the correct speed limit."

The law says, "Drive the correct speed limit and if you don't, you may pay a fine or receive jail time or have to take a driving course or have your license suspended."

The law many times INCLUDES the penalty for breaking it. The penalties are for KEEPING people from breaking it. There are penalties all in Leviticus and other parts of the Bible.

The Bible doesn't just say, "don't do this and DO this". It gives you the reasons why and what will happen if you violate God's will.

Human beings ARE going to break the law - in both minute and severe ways. Those who are law-abiding will accept their punishment. Those who are NOT law-abiding will hide, lie, cheat, or use whatever means necessary to escape the portion of the law called the penalty.

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Evidently Pres. Obama sees laws in terms of "significant" and "insignificant" since he considers violation of the immigration laws to be an insignificant offense. By his own definition those people are law-abiding, so why can't I be law-abiding if I've only broken the speed limit?

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your belief or unbelief of anything that I say doesn't negate what I say. And your asking others here to join your band wagon of "let's all call Scarlett O. a liar" doesn't negate anything that I say.

Just doesn't work that way. Sorry.

15. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe it.!:thumbs:

16. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Is it just me or does anyone else have a hard time trying to find the point to what CTB is saying? I mean I read the post and try to find his point and relate it to the subject at hand but for the life of me I just can't make the connection! Yes most if not all of us have broken the speed limit so do we just throw out speed laws? in your opinion CTB what should be our "good immigration laws"? If they are here illegally then they should be deported. If they want to go through the nationalization process and become citizens then great, other wise they need to be deported. No other country would allow what the U.S. allows in regard to illegal aliens. Please don't trot out the tired and usually false excuse that illegal aliens do not take jobs from American citizens because they are doing the jobs that Americans won't do. Where I live, I know dozens of people that would love to have a job of any kind but cannot find one, while one of the biggest businesses in the area regularly recuits from Latin American countries in order to pay less of a wage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.