1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Needs to Take a Stand

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Aug 31, 2008.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are largely correct, but he's soing more than that.

He's trying to pass himself off as someone who would unify the races. His history tells us nothing could be further from the truth.

2. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

He sure was not silent about it in the quotes I provided with sources above.:tonofbricks:

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You shouldn't and you are correct in selecting the candidate that best represents you.

The problem is all that ended 143 years ago is slavery. By that I mean the word slavery. If this wasn't so we wouldn't have needed the civil rights bills. When I see the fire hoses that were turned on black Americans and the tension just for wanting to sit at a lunch counter one must see things through their eyes to understand. I know you are part black but I think you said your skin doesn't show it. You might have a slightly different perspective if you were the victim of being pre judged because of how you look.

4. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Yes, but the difference is I did not introduce the slave issue here in an attempt to drive the thread off topic becuase I can't answer a few honest questions. I simply responded to an issue you raised and now you don't want to talk about because it upsets your agenda. So now that we have established your movites please feel free to return to the subject of the OP.:applause:

We can do that by talking about the race quotes by BHO and sources I provided earlier.

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

How so, you don't think he can unify the races? Let's remove him from the discussion and let me say this, a black president (doesn't have to be Obama) would sure go a long way to make blacks feel every bit American as their white brothers. In fact it wouldn't have to be a black president, I think anything but white would make a difference to all non whites.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Yes, but look at how he did it. He kept saying a "young preacher". He never once said Martin's name. That's how delicate and thin of a line he has to walk. If he slips one way or the other the waiting sharks will get him.

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a chance.

His entire political career has been based on advancing the agenda of one race at the expense of another.

That's racism, pure and simple.

Not unity.

8. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Yeah, you wouldnt knnow I was part black by looking at me, thats true.

The biggest way that being part black has affected my life is the way I was brought up. For generations my family has been taught all of the things that they cant do. My Dad's generation was the first to go to school past grade school, and my sister was the first to ever graduate college. Still, today there are lingering effects of that mentality, and even I was taught to stay in my place in society, get me a job after high school and save up to buy myself a used trailer to live in.

I have family still living in "shotgun" houses with plumbing only in the bathroom, which used to be the back porch until water was run to the house like 100 years ago. I have uncles that have lived in the same shotgun house since i was born, and I have no clue what they ever did for a living. (Except for making corn whiskey, but they havent done that for over 30 years now)

My grandfather shot himself in the head with a shotgun basically in front of my dad when he was only 14 years old. I am convinced that the pressure of his race was at least part of his problem that caused him to commit suicide. My dad was bitter until the day he died, and he took his bitterness out on me and my siblings.

What I am saying is that even with white skin, the oppression of my ancestors has been passed down, and is still something that I struggle with today.

Biblical curse? I dont know.

AJ

9. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Again, did you bother to read the quotes I provided here or the souce articles? The quotes I provided say nothing about MLK or a young preacher. They are quotes of BHO refering to himself as black and claiming that the opposition is going to try to scare people by pointing out that fact.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not true.

11. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

As this applies to the thread, I resent the notion that people of african-american heritage automatically back obama cause he is part black. I do think that most Blacks will support him, but it is because he is a democrat, not because of race.

AJ

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't think some on the anti-Obama side have done that and will do that over the next two months?

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I appreciate you sharing brother, hang in there... :thumbs: :godisgood:

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I have not heard any conservative bring up BHO's race. I have heard them respond to the issue when BHO has brought it up.

BHO uses it whenever he sees fit. He used it against the Clintons of all people in the Dem primaries.

Then at the end of July when no one else was talkng about it he made those speeches in MO. So you tell me...

15. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I saw that but didn't think that's what you meant. In a sense it's true... Wasn't it you who posted in the other thread that some won't vote for him because he's black? He knows it and we know it too...

I have no problem with anyone speaking the truth.

16. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

Thank you Lebuick, actually its easier to vent to you guys on here than it is to let anyone that I know in person who I really am and where I came from. People still look down on me and consider me a "heinz 57 mutt" when they find out.

thanks for listening

AJ

17. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Obviously there are some shallow people who will only vote for him because of his race. Heck, there is another set of shallow people who WON'T vote for him because of his race. I like to think the rest of America are good people who has learned to get past the race issue and can judge people "by the content of their character" or can choose a candidate purely because of their platform.

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

No that was not me. How could you think I was speaking about some other speech when I provided the direct quotes of the material I was talking about where BHO was referring to himself? Your reply here makes no sense. Maybe it's time to :sleeping_2:

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not something they are liable to say outloud in polite company.

If you don't think there are people in this country(of all political stripes) who have a racial prejudice problem in voting for a black person, then you are badly mistaken.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Not publicly I agree, but be honest, not even around the drinking fountain? At the barbershop? How about the late night poker game after they've had a few?