1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama Regulation Czar Advocated Removing People’s Organs Without Explicit Consent

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cass Sunstein, President Barack Obama’s nominee to head the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA), has advocated a policy under which the government would “presume” someone has consented to having his or her organs removed for transplantation into someone else when they die unless that person has explicitly indicated that his or her organs should not be taken.

Under such a policy, hospitals would harvest organs from people who never gave permission for this to be done.

More Here

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I find this amusing only because physicians for decades would automatically circumcise newborn infant boys without parental consent. Parents who demanded that they consent were called "liberals" at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I believe organ donation should not be done without consent. I simply find it amusing that the tables on consent attitudes have turned somewhat. On that note, however, I can't imagine why anyone would not give consent to organ donation. It's not like you're going to need them.

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

What's the problem? Does the dead person still need the organ?

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if the deceased was muslim?

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not sure what that has to do with the OP topic. My brother in law was a Muslim, and he consented to organ donation. Unfortunately, he passed away from cancer, so his organs were not hervestable.

If you favor implied consent (presumed consent unless otherwise notified), or express consent (no consent unless notified), the person's religion would make no difference.

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What it has to do with the topic shpould be obvious.

Muslims hold to neither. Their consent is required.

There are also issues about keeping the body "alive" to harvest "fresh " organs. Even with consent, Jews and muslims require the person be dead. On life support is not dead.

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Then, if the standard policy is to imply consent, a Muslim would make a notification that s/he does not want his/her organs donated. It's no different than parents in the 1950's having to notify the pediatrician that they did not want their child circumcised.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do they do that if unconscious?

You are saying you would harvest the organs regardless. I believe this is immoral and wrong.

A persons body belongs to them. The state does not own it, dead or alive.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Really are you actually laughing or is that an exaggerated statement? Circumcising and organ donation are two different things completely. However, neither should be done without consent and the failure to get consent by anyone has no bearing on this.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I totally agree. Circumcision is done while you're alive... Okay seriosly, my point was only to note the nature of implied vs express medical consent.
    I agree. I favor the requirement of express consent on both counts.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct.

The real reason they want to harvest organs is not because the donor no longer needs them. The true motivator is the almighty dollar, as usual. How much money can be made and who gets it? If the harvesting is done without consent, I'll bet the deceased's family doesn't see a dime. It's sickening what people will do for money.

Why should this surprise us? It's already known that abortion clinics sell parts of aborted babies for profit.

12. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That's a nonsequitor. The government does not get money from organ donations.
    Right now, if a person consents to organ donation, the family doesn't get a dime.
    That's an urban myth. Procedure varies state-by-state thing, but aborted fetuses are either buried or cremated.

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The medical industry profits by the surgeries, etc. needed from organ transplants. They aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, free of charge.

As far as your last statement, Focus on the Family disagrees. Several years ago I read an actual price list put out for the various parts of fetus'. If you google, I'm sure you can find it. I do not know how to post links, or I'd do it for you.

14. matt wade

Here's a suggestion that maybe all sides can agree upon. How about we make it something you have to opt-in or opt-out of when you turn 18 (sort of like guys being required to register for the draft). Prior to 18, it would be up to the parents or guardian.

15. Johnv

Johnv New Member

They can of course, charge for their services, but not the organs.

I acknowlege that there's a black market for such things, but it's not legal, and it's not standard operating procedure. FOTF, which I financially support, doesn't always have things accurately. If they're claiming that selling of fetuses is the norm and standard operating procedure, they're in error.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

Prehaps it should go on our drivers license if we do not want our organs stolen illegally.

17. matt wade

Somehow I don't think the organ theives are going to pay attention to what's on your driver's license when they are up to their illegal activity.

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

As opposed to something saying "I want my organs to be stolen illegally"? Is that like talking in front of someone's back instead of behind their back?

:wavey:

19. donnA

donnA Active Member

it was a statement of sarcasm.
    can't family do something if this were to happened, like sue or press charges?

20. RAdam

RAdam New Member

How about leaving it like it is now, where a person can request to have their organs donated, otherwise it's a no-go? Now we are talking about an opt-in opt-out system and all of this. What's wrong with what we have?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.