1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Obama's Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TomVols, Feb 27, 2008.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Obama's attempt to forcably define Patriotic companies

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120407121574294919.html?mod=opinion_main_review_and_outlooks

"Mr. Obama's proposal would designate certain companies as "patriot employers" and favor them over other, presumably not so patriotic, businesses.
    The legislation takes four pages to define "patriotic" companies as those that: "pay at least 60 percent of each employee's health care premiums"; have a position of "neutrality in employee [union] organizing drives"; "maintain or increase the number of full-time workers in the United States relative to the number of full-time workers outside of the United States"; pay a salary to each employee "not less than an amount equal to the federal poverty level"; and provide a pension plan."

Very federalist :tear:

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds good to me. We should reward corporations that keep jobs in these United States instead of offshoring them.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drop the unnecessary and heavy handed regulations as well as taxes and they will stay in country.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

How do you figure?

5. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This legislation will produce a mountain of paperwork and higher prices for the public to bear and little else.

It addresses the wrong problem or it addresses the real problem in the wrong way. Either way , he is simply wrong.

Businesses don't outsource to avoid paying taxes, they outsource over the cost of labor, something the government has little or no control over.

Keep their manufacturing here, the public will soon be buying the same product produced by a foreign country for less money and the company that stays here will be bankrupt with all their employees out of work.

We'll heavily tax the imports, you say. History has shown that protectionist policies only hurt our economy worse.

Obama needs basic lessons in economics and should stop letting unions and other trade protectionists set his agenda.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I agree! Government will not improve anything by such a program. It will cost more than the value received. They will skim some off the top. They will make it into a political opportunity to buy votes by favoring one group over another. They will take from one to give to another less the handling costs. Government is not the answer to things best handled by the free market.

Also, it's an illusion when we think an employer pays our benefits - or even the other half of social secuirty tax - because it's the worker that pays for it all by thier service to their employer. The cost of an employee to an employer is whatever they have to pay in salary, wages, benefits, and taxes. The benefits are just part of the compensation we earn or don't earn if you don't have them. Workers - pay for every bit of it by our work. The only advantage to the employee is the collective purchasing power of buying benefits such as medical insurance and even then I wonder if we could do just as well in some other collective group on our own exclusive of our employers.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Govt rewards for business are constitutional how?

And you have no problem with Obama requiring defined benefit plans, mandatory wages, manipulation of company thoughts regarding unions, etc.?

Ken, I thought you said you were liberterian?

8. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I'm not KenH, but I don't have any problems with these things being enacted.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm just not comfortable with government controlling what people in a company think or believe. This is not China, Cuba, etc. We are not Iran.

Few financial experts prefer defined benefit plans over defined contribution plans. Yet this would be mandated by President Obama. Why shouldn't people decide for themselves?

Why should the government have this much control over the thoughts and actions of its people?

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's about time that more than a few companies started treating their employees like human beings instead of merely pieces on a checker board.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nonsequitur.

So do you not have a problem with govt mandate of thought, action, wages, etc.?

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not for companies that refuse to be good corporate citizens.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I want companies to be good citizens too, but I believe in freedom, free markets, and loathe government fiat mandating every thought and action of business by using such legislation as SarbOx, Obama's proposal here, etc. I just value liberty and freedom too much. I suppose we'll just disagree here.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's the liberal way of looking at things.

You're too stupid to take care of, or decide for yourself. Big brother is your friend and will decide for you.

Business is the enemy and only wants to abuse and use you. Big brother will keep a close rein on those exploiters and crooks.

Business folds because of government over-regulation? No problem. Big brother will pay benefits at about 20% of your normal pay.

Life on the dole is grand. Can't breathe unless Big brother says too, but who needs air?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me know when you get politicians to do the same.:tonofbricks: