1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OH cult leader execution

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Gina B, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Again, I'm not sure where to find this on the net, but an Ohio man named Jeff Lundgren who had alleged ties with the LDS church and was found guilty (along with others who participated) in the Kirtland Massacre of an entire family has had his execution date set. I believe it's this October, but I could be wrong.
    The story of this is in the Crime Library online, for those who don't remember it or never heard of it.

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gina

Did ya' find a link yet?

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks like it's time to get his own "vinyard pruned".:thumbs:

5. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks DJ.
    I personally do not think that the news story is completely accurate in its portrayal of how it happened and why. (a possibility in my mind, and this is just an idea of my own, is that perhaps it was more along the lines of blood atonement than revenge)

BTW the barn is almost visible from the Temple and Joseph Smith's old house. Just thought I'd throw that in, as the LDS church allegedly doesn't acknowledge that Jeff still had any relationship with them at the time this happened.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This happened only miles from my home. The execution is set for the end of October.

7. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Beings he was RLDS and they were members of his own church. It was almost certenly blood atonment. But how do you explain that in a news paper artical. It is easer just to say revenge. Otherwise the artical becomes a lengthy explanation about blood atonment and the LDS religion of old.

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

An interesting note on blood atonment. Often when they dig a sight for a building here in SLC. They run across the remains of blood atonement victims. If it makes the paper at all it is always on the back pages. Not alot of people like to talk about blood atonment around here.

9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Really? So was I.
    Used to love getting Daquiri Ice from that little place beside the temple. :D

I'm still kicking myself for not getting pictures of the arberatum before I moved!

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

First, what is 'blood atonement' in relation to revenge?

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Blood atonement is done in order to save the person after they have commited a major sin. (breaking of a covenant usually) It was said that the person's own blood must atone for that sin. So...the person who sheds the wrong-doer's blood is doing the person a favor. These teachings are found in the ...thingies. AGH I forget their name. It's a volume of texts that records the prophets words and such. Journal of Discourses, that's where I read it. They're not always in print from Deseret, but the seminary had copies of them so I was able to read them in their library there.

Revenge...well, that's just revenge!

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

That's why the mob did Smitty a favor for killing him after he shot them and commited adultery . . .

And I tho't they were doing us a favor.

;)

Thanks!

PS - which seminary?

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yeah, the Holden Arboratem is beautiful...especially in the fall. Speaking of Kirtland, I remember trying to find the "mellon heads" in High School :laugh:

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Not exactly the scariest story people could come up with...

"they're gonna stand there and LOOK at you!" LOLOL

It was cool to live that close to SeaWorld though...while it lasted.

Ok, BREAKFAST time! A little late...but so much fun to play online! You guys have a good day.

16. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Execution delayed...so he can be part of a law suit about the method of execution! (lethal injection) Or it could be that he's going for a review of mental illness at the time. Ohio's great for confusing the truth...maybe it's both?

I wonder if it will ever happen. I'm thinking it probably won't happen at the hand of the state.

Interesting legalities with the whole case.