1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Oil and Virgins

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Hope of Glory, Jul 12, 2006.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Please show me where Scripture says this man's riches were a sin? Jesus didn't say that. Jesus said go sell it and give it to the poor.

His riches didn't become a sin until he was unable to obey what Jesus had said, because he chose his master and it wasn't the Master.

But obedience to a work has nothing to do with eternal salvation.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Amen! But, we're talking about the Kingdom and not just salvation. John 3:5 specifically says "Kingdom", and "enter" is in the middle voice, which means he causes the action to happen to himself.

I'm glad that you finally see what I've been pointing out to you that our works don't affect our everlasting salvation in any way whatsoever, wheter to get it, keep it, or prove it.

3. His Blood Spoke My Name

I do not have to work by the sweat of my brow to receive eternal life, nor do I have to work by the sweat of my brow to enter the kingdom of heaven, nor to be included in the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.

The Bride is clothed in Christ's righteousness and none other. Christ's Bride is clothed in a garment unspotted, unblemished. If we put on our own works over that garment, we are putting filthy rags over clean clothes. Christ is not looking for a Bride who is spotted by worldly works.

Working by the sweat of our brow is for natural food, not spiritual. Spiritual is in sharp contrast to natural.

We are to study to show ourselves approved unto God, a workman, yes; but that work is not natural, it is diligence in the Word.

Jesus said at one point, 'Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.'

Other than that, I find no other verses that tell us to work in order to gain entrance to the kingdom of heaven, or to be part of the Bride of Christ.

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Who Lives In Heaven?
    (1) The living God (Heb 12:22). He is called the "God of heaven" 22 times (Ps 136:26) and the "Lord of heaven" four times (Ac 17:24).
    (2) Angels innumerable (Heb 12:22).
    (3) The spirits of redeemed men (Heb 12:23).
    (4) Jesus Christ(H eb 12:24). Jesus came down from heaven (Joh 6:38) and was received back up into heaven (Mr 16:19) and will return from heaven (Ac 1:11). Jesus is the "Lord from heaven" (1Co 15:47).

What should be the Christian's attitude toward Heaven?
    (1) We should set our minds on Heaven (Col 3:1-3).
    (2) We should live holy lives fit for Heaven (Col 3:5; Eph 5:8; 1Pe 2:11).
    (3) We should lay up treasures in Heaven (Mt 6:20; 1Ti 6:19).
    (4) We should act like citizens of Heaven and pilgrims on earth (Heb 11:13-16; Php 3:20).
    (5) We should be certain of Heaven (1Jo 5:11-13).
    (6) We should be aware of Heaven in our daily lives (Heb 12:1-2).

Way of Life Encyclopedia

You need to read more about heaven, J. Jump. Your view of heaven is pretty much skewed--IMO.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well let's just see if the Bible says our eternal home is in "heaven," as you suggest.

Revelation 21 - Then I saw a [SIZE=-1]R1034[/SIZE] new heaven and a new earth; for the [SIZE=-1]R1035[/SIZE] first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea.

And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, "Behold, the [SIZE=-1]R1040[/SIZE] tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell [SIZE=-1]R1041[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]F239[/SIZE] among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them

And he [SIZE=-1]R1062[/SIZE] carried me away in [SIZE=-1]R1063[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]F245[/SIZE] the Spirit to a great and high mountain, and showed me the [SIZE=-1]R1064[/SIZE] holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, I saw no [SIZE=-1]R1087[/SIZE] temple [SIZE=-1]F254[/SIZE] in it, for the Lord [SIZE=-1]R1088[/SIZE] God the Almighty and the Lamb [SIZE=-1]R1089[/SIZE] are its temple.

Now if God is going to dwell amongst His people on earth then how can we spend eternity in heaven?

Israel was promised a physical kingdom and to be the head of the nations. Do you think God was lying about that? Going to be hard to have a physical nation and physical kingdom in heaven.

It has been God's purpose for man to rule over the earth and He has not changed His mind.

Now will your change your mind and form to Scripture or are you going to continue to deny Scripture to hold on to your tradition?

6. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

The things above are spiritual, not earthly or physical. We aren't really supposed to keep our minds on the dwelling place of God. The things are above. Heaven is just the location of the things we are to be seeking and thinking of.

Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.

That doesn't say anything about heaven.

for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light

That doesn't say anything about heaven.

Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul.

That says we are aliens, but it doesn't say our home is in heaven.

"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;

Ah we finally get to a verse that have heaven as at least part of the subject. The treasures are to be stored up there, but says nothing of them remaining there. The treasures are the crowns. And these crowns will be worn when we rule not from heaven, but from the heavens.

All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth. For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return.

Again we are to be strangers, but it doesn't save heaven is our final resting place.

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ;

And so now we come to this verse where this must mean that we will live in heaven forever. However heaven in our current citizenship because that is where our Savior is. He will not remain there and therefore neither will we.

These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

This doesn't make heaven a certainty, because eternal salvation is not even the context. Eternal salvation comes in believing the death and shed blood of Christ, not believing in the name of the Son of God.

Again this is speaking of aionios life or age-lasting life.

fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.

This doesn't say be aware of heaven in our daily lives, but to fix our eyes on Jesus!

I just wanted to answer these Scripture posts, so that I can't be accused of not dealing with Scripture. See we can fall into some false notions when we just list a Scripture without going and seeing for ourselves what it says.

7. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Now you can quote all that in KJV---you are using a different version--not sure which one you are using--I think it is the NASB--which is very different than KJV. Whatever version it is, what you quoted is different.

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Well you obviously didn't read my response very well. I didn't say you would have to work by the sweat of your brow to receive eternal life. You are making that up.

The book of James said that this comes by faith and works, so if you don't think you have to work to enter the kingdom then you will have faith that is dead, just as James said, because faith alone does not save when it comes to the kingdom.

Not exactly correct. Read Rev. 19:8. The bride is clothed in the righteous acts of the saints.

I can agree with that.

Not so, because now you are combining two different messages.

AMEN!

I would disagree with that. Otherwise everyone would understand the deep things of Scripture. If everything was on the surface then everything would be milk and not meat.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for proving my point for me. It's work to dig into the Word and go beyond scratching the surface!

Well if Jesus said it once, then we really don't need anymore verses do we? Although there are far more verses of Scripture than that. Just look at the parables in Matthew 25 for one place. Read the entire book of James.

Read I John. Basically read the entire NT.

9. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

You're kidding right? Man you KJVO people crack me up :laugh:

Well let's just take a look at the first one to see if we need to go any further. Here is Col. 3: 1-3 in KJV:

If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

And here is the passage that I quoted in the NASB:

1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.

Boy just a ton a difference there huh? I don't think we need to go any further. I think my posts stands.

See this is the problem with modern day Christians. They take what their pastors and Sunday School teachers and websites and radio programs and this, that and the other and they take it as gospel without having ever studied the matter out themselves.

Linda did you look up those verses of Scripture before you cut and pasted from the website to make sure they website knew what it was talking about?

Because the website didn't really know what they were talking about, as shown by actually quoting the Scriptures.

10. standingfirminChrist

Lessee now... Let's look at a few versions, shall we?
    GNV

WYC
    KJV
    NAS
    NIV
    RSV
    "

NLT
    CSB

And the following one is just too funny.

The Message
    I know, I know. The Message is just a paraphrase.

Yes, I stand for the KJV. It lines up most accurately with the versions before it.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

It may line up most accurately with the versions before it, but what about when it doesn't line up with Scripture? Are you going to accept it then, particularly in the face of considerable evidence that it's incorrect?

BTW, that verse in Zechariah is literally "between your hands".

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

What are you calling Scripture? Do you have a copy of it?

13. StraightAndNarrow

Where is heaven? Isn't it where God rules? Where is God now? If He choses to change the physical location of His kingdom does it really make any difference to Him since He is omnipresent? Does it make any difference to us if we're with Him?

14. standingfirminChrist

If the wise took extra oil, why did the verse not say, 'but the prudent token oile in her vessels and the laumpis?

It is quite evident that the word 'and' was used in that time, for the following verse show thus:

The word 'with' is a far cry from the word 'and' if you read the context. Which further proves the foolish carried no oil whatsoever.

When the foolish made this statement, they were not saying their oil had gone out, but that their lamps had been quenched. As pointed out before, a lamp can be lit without oil, but will quickly die out without the oil to burn. The lamp flame would be quenched because there would be nothing to burn.

15. standingfirminChrist

Yes, I would like to see a copy of this Scripture too. It is funny that the version I quoted from shows the wise virgins took on extra oil as the modern versions would have one think. And would have been used in the 4th verse back in the 14th century when the Wyclyffe Bible was penned.

And through careful research, one will see that the first English version Bible was penned between 1380 and 1384 by Wyclyffe. Wyclyffe produced 57 works during this period of time.

#75 standingfirminChrist, Jul 15, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  16. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yes it is a location. It is in the farthest parts of the north. He doesn't change the physical location of His kingdom, because the entire universe is His kingdom. He's not moving the entire universe to someplace different. He's moving His residing place to someplace different.

Now if you want to call the new earth heaven, becuase that is where God will spend eternity I don't have a problem with that, but when someone speaks of heaven, odds are really stacked in favor of people talking about living eternally where God is now, not where He will be.

Just ask people. Are you going to live on earth for eternity or in heaven. They will say heaven, because that's what they have been taught. But in reality eternity will be spent on the new earth.

17. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Matthew 25:4: αἱ δὲ φρόνιμοι ἔλαβον ἔλαιον ἐν τοῖς ἀγγείοις μετὰ τῶν λαμπάδων ἑαυτῶν.

That would be what I call Scripture. We don't have the originals, as almost everyone knows, but this is much closer to the source than one that was coped and translated and interpreted 1000 years or more later.

18. standingfirminChrist

<snip>
    <snip>

#78 standingfirminChrist, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  19. StraightAndNarrow

But we're talking about the "New Earth." Who's to say that that isn't heaven?

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That's my whole point. Eternity is on the new earth. God is the One and only One that is to say. And to date He has not called the new earth "heaven," but called it the new earth.

So unless He changes it sometime in the future we would be better served sharing the Truth with folks instead of all this feel good nonsense that is going on.