1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

OK... I still have these nagging questions:

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by skypair, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I'm only revealing the fact that the Greek word behind "destroy" is different than the one used in Matt 10, since you are intent on using Matt 10 to help you will 1 Cor 3.

2. See DHK's #95 post for a good discussion of this word in context.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. How does it help your camp?

2. And which nuance are you willing to take over the others? And how do you determine your choice?

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

And by revealing this you have shed no light on the discussion.
    I found it to be full of conjecture. But I'll address it in a reply to come.

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I suggest we let the world of Paul inform our interpretation of 1 Cor 3:13-15.

a. In v. 13, fire was used to burn away the dross and leave the precious metal.

b. V.15 pictures a man fleeting as his possessions are going up in flames.

2. Let's now look behind the imageries to get the nuggets of truth.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

And if what we do now defiles the temple that we are to be building?
    Where do you find this in scripture? It seems doesn't carry as much weight as thus sayeth the Lord.
    Or it lends credence to the view that there is a type of destruction that a saved person can experience at the judgment seat of Christ that doesn't involve losing eternal salvation.
    If any man among you... wouldn't that be saved folks in the church? The whole reasoning is circular, as AV1611Jim I believe pointed out earlier. 'There can't be destruction because they are saved. They can't be saved because they are destroyed.'

6. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Why can't we just get the whole truth and be done with it? Why are we always grasping for nuggets?

7. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Right back atcha bro!

Running to 'Greek-land' is pointless. That is my point.

You can run to 'Greek-land' all the live long day yet you would still solve nothing here. Stick to the English since God has given US that particular language to communicate with each other and in His wisdom has seen fit to cause Scripture to be translated into our mother tongue so we can know what He said. K?

Now, back to our program.........:1_grouphug:

8. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. As have been ably pointed out, at the JSOC, what we have contributed in the building of his structure, will be revealed for what it really is.

2. The fire is figurative as it stands for what reveals the true nature of our contribution at the JSOC.

9. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Then your wrestling with the meaning of aionios and such like, is pointless by virtue of your pronouncement.

10. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't think the fire is as figurative as you think it is. I think God has a fire that can try your works. But thats aside the point. The destruction is not figurative.

11. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

:wavey: :wavey:

What does the man lose? And what does he receive? To find out you must look elsewhere.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Then if the fire is not figurative in this context, neither are the gold, silver, precious stones or the wood, hay, straw, are figurative.

2. I'm willing to respect the figurative language of Paul.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Paul says if the work remains he will receive a reward (v.14).

2. And if his work is burned up, he will suffer loss of not getting his intended reward. The contrast in there.

3. We don't have to go anywhere. Paul gives us all the info we need.

#113 TCGreek, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2007
  14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Frankly my friend, I DON'T wrestle with that word or any other Greek words. I ain't GREEK!:BangHead:

You see, it is like this. I am an American who speaks English. I trust my God to have given me His words in my own language that I might KNOW Him and the FELLOWSHIP of His sufferings. Therefore, I do not need to run to "Greek-land" since God did it already for me.:thumbs:

Another really neat thing God has done for me is He has provided His Holy Spirit to enlighten my understanding only so far as I am willing to yield myself to His guidance. As I yield MYSELF, He it is Who teaches me what His words mean. He makes it very simple, too! I don't even have to 'rassle' with meanings and such like things. He even provides understanding as I fear Him and seek after wisdom as one seeketh after gold.

Of course, I trust you recognized all the Scripture references in that last paragraph so that I need not give you the 'street addresses', right? If I am right in this assessment then why is it so hard for you guys to recognize such similar references when we speak of these other things? Could it be because you are UNWILLING to look? One will only recieve such light as he is willing to respond to the light he has already been given.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Well, do a search into these discussions and you will see Hope of Glory working with the Greek aionios and other related terms.

2. Then your post #100 is pointless by your reckoning.

16. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Very good then. We are on a roll here. Now stay with me please. :thumbs:

1. WHAT is the reward?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

But Jim, are you not one of those who has used the term " aionios life'?

18. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

According to your #111 post, it seems to me that Paul didn't answer those questions? Are you saying that he answered them?

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

If not, what shall I tell those nations that I go to that don't speak English. If you look in my profile you will see I am a missionary, and I do go to some countries that don't speak English.
    Do I need to teach them Shakespearean English before they can get saved?

20. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am familiar with Hope of Glory and his work in that area, having read most of his posts on this subject. I assume then when you used the word "you" that it was not a personal reference even though it was directed to me?

Secondly, my post #100 had a point which evidently you missed. How about you take you own advice, brother, and go back to the context of that post and see what was going on when I posted? K?

This carnival ride is making me dizzy!:wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.