1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Old dead theologians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 27, 2015.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I have read a lot of his work as well. I was blessed by Practical Religion.

I found a hard copy of The Bishop, the Pastor, and the Preacher which I think only had one printing. I found it on Google Books, PDFed it, and formatted it for Kindle. (Did we talk about this before :) ?) If not and you are interested message me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Such a person cannot enter into any form of solid theology. They have fed on the husks of false teaching for so long ,and have no appetite for sheep food.
    These kind of persons will accuse you and others of being Pharisees , or immature, or any other name because they have an aversion to true doctrine.
    They consider it a dirty word.
    Thanks for posting that solid quote which must have been like a silver bullet to that ornery poster.
    Good theology, good quotes based solidly on biblical principles are light to dispel the error and darkness that many have been infected with.

• Like Like x 1
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JamesL,

I would agree. In another thread on WWII, the theology taught for hundreds of years was wrongly racist and allowed for the endorsement of the Nazi thinking.

When one reads "dead theologians" one must always remember to hold the Scriptures as supreme, and sift everything through the Scriptures. I enjoy the careful choice of terms used by men such as Jonathan Edwards - no doubt. Most are certainly a challenge to the intellect, and why (imo) some would not engage in reading them.

I was alarmed when I found that some renown members of the BB have never read the only writing ( a short letter to the Philippians) of one of the greatest theologians that ever lived - Polycarp.

Dead theologians are not to be ignored, but neither should they be held unaccountable to the truth of Scriptures.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes....I could re-read some Ryle soon. I had Mrs clast refer to his writing on the gospel of John the other day.

• Like Like x 1
  5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

This is not an either/or situation. We all hold to the absolute authority and truth of the word of God. It needs nothing but the Holy Spirit.

Every ODT was a fallible sinner - they knew it, and that is part of what encourages me. As fellow saved sinners they have lived things I have not lived. God blessed many of them with great teaching ability and we can benefit from that teaching.

No one is saying that these men verify the word of God, but that doesn't mean we cannot learn from them.

#25 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 30, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    True, but it takes a bit of study to figure out what is warped and what isn't. Otherwise to use yet another cliche, you're throwing the baby out with the bath water.
    That's different than assuming because the wheel is over ten years old, it's warped.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But I'm curious, how many people here spend time studying old dead Roman Catholic theologians, old dead Orthodox theologians, old dead Pentecostal theologians, etc

8. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've read as many 1st-2nd century Christians as I know to be available, and couldn't agree more. For most, reading an old dead theologian means reading the most popular guys from a particular theological camp.

that's why I asked how many here have read RCC, Orthodox and Pentecostal theologians.

I would venture to say that most who are idolizing the dead guys, probably view those from a different perspective as completely irrelevant.

I wonder how many have ever been amazed at how much the Catechism of the Catholic Church speaks of grace. More so than any 500y.o. Protestant writings, imo.

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

I think 'idolizing' is a pretty harsh assessment. I can't recall any idolatry of any ODT.

The only Catholic ODT I have read extensively is G.K. Chesteron and am blessed by what I find. Could you suggest some Orthodox or Pentecostal ODTs that I might find of interest or edifying in their teaching? I am always willing to expand my reading.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Choose your verbs carefully. These are more suitable: respect,admire,appreciate and value.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why in the world would that in particular "alarm" you? I find that a strange statement.

I would be alarmed if someone had not read the book of Habakkuk, for instance.

Why would you consider Polycarp "one of the greatest theologians " who ever lived? Aren't there a host of others who far exceeded him in that regard? There are only 63 verses from which to base his theological knowledge.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There are only THREE "doctors of the Church" in Eastern Orthodoxy.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The faith of the reformers was not only bible based but reflected the teachings of the Patristics from the first 3 or 4 centuries AD.

We can find all the so-called "reformed" doctrines in the wrings of the Patristics.

Ignatius, Polycarp, Justin Martyr, Irenaeus, Clement of Alexandria, Tertullian, Cyprian,
    Athanasius, and even Jerome, and, of course, Augustine.

Had it not been for the writings of these Patristics there would have been no reformation.

14. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You may disagree, but look what you are disagreeing with!

Jude 3 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's downright funny......

16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Could you kindly give an example of where a poster here as loving or admiring one of the ODTs to excess please? If I am guilty of being perceived that way I would like to apologise. I certainly don't mean to idolise any man, living or dead.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    C4K,
    not at all you, and maybe no specific examples

But most certainly a general tone. I can't count the number of times I've been reading a thread, and in a perfect spot to expect to see "scripture says..." instead I'll see what Spurgeon said.

and it's not just here and there, it reaches epidemic proportions. So much so, that if I never see another Spurgeon quote for the rest of my life I will have still seen too many for one lifetime. And it's not just Spurgeon, but he's probably the most idolized.

for real, it's on par with Seventh Day Adventists quoting Ellen White, Jehovah's Witnesses quoting the Watchtower, etc

plus, I just thought it was funny and ironic that Rippon suggested idolize is wrong, admire is better, but "admire to excess" is a listed definition of idolize...and perfectly sums it up

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe I can be charged with having a poor sense of humor, but I fail to see anything funny with what you cited. I can't rightly be accused with loving or admiring deceased brothers in the Lord to excess. And in this thread I acknowledged that it has been a while since I have delved into J.C. Ryle's works. But it is certainly a truth that he was raised up by the Lord. Bishop Ryle was a godly man used as a valuable instrument for his age and beyond --like so many others I could mention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah ha!
    Permit me to be blunt : you are very wrong to charge me with that.
    The common uderstanding of the words admire, respect, and value are understood by most people. You are the exception.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You can add Hilary of Potiers (300-368), and John Chrysostom (347-407).

I would place Jerome, but especially Augustine, as 5th century men primarily. The last third of their lives were the most significant.
    I agree.

• Like Like x 1