1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Old dead theologians

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 27, 2015.

1. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but for some odd reason I have an overwhelming aversion to typing "Hilary." :D :D

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Seriously? I have never seen a poster quote Spurgeon as the same kind of authority as Ellen G. White. Could you kindly point to a single post where a member admired him, or any other ODT, to excess? I admire Spurgeon and Ryle and Wesley and several others, but they certainly are not my idols and I don't count their words on the level of scripture.

#42 NaasPreacher (C4K), Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah....ha. There's the "gotcha", right? Because I don't troll around copying quotes into files to use later, but simply take mental note of excess, there's no truth to my observation, right?

Like a blackjack player can simply take mental note that there seems to have been an awful lot of face cards come, but it can't be true without video replay.

I don't believe I charged you with anything other than being funny and ironic

I haven't leveled a charge against anyone specifically, just a general tone

I think you're missing the key element------> to excess.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    first, there's a difference between idolizing and idolatry. Have you ever seen the show "American Idol" ??

Where I live, in Kansas City, the entire place is in a frenzy over the Royals winning the World Series. To the point that every school district I know of will be closed tomorrow so everybody can go to a parade. Everyone here seems to be idolizing the Royals. It's excessive adoration to the point that it wouldn't surprise me if someone faints because a Royals player gives a high five.

it might be good if you read the whole thread again. I never mentioned anyone specifically, and have gone out of my way to note that specifically.

but I'd be willing to bet there are some here who would get star struck and faint if they were to meet the likes of Calvin, Spurgeon, and a few others

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You should just abandon the use of ANY form of the word, because you use it in a careless manner; which is completely unwarranted.
    Since no one here has displayed "excessive adoration" you should just be mature enough to drop any form of the word altogether in this thread.

7. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right now I am enjoying the writings of A. W. Pink... I just like his style of writing and how he brings Gospel Truths to light... I agree he's not as old as some but he is still dead... Brother Glen

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ole' Walkington is one of my favorites. Ian Murray puts him in the same category as Matthew Henry. Everyone needs a bit of AWP as a theological tonic.
    Aw, at 129 he qualifies. As he himself said, he was a Puritan born out of season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or you could simply mature your vocabulary a little?

I think the way people have replied so far, it might help to revisit the word "old" as well. Old dead theologians....Tertullian, Origen, Clement, et al

Spurgeon is still a relatively new kid on the block.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Downloaded this at your recommendation. Enjoying it greatly so far. Thanks.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take my post #47 to heart.
    Old and dead to me means someone born before the 20th century. Men such as:
    Abraham Kuyper (1837-1920)
    Herman Bavinck (1854-1921)
    B.B. Warfield (1851-1921)
    John Gresham Machen (1881-1937)
    Herman Hoeksema (1886-1965)

They need not be dead and gone for a millennium.