1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old-Time Religion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Agnus_Dei, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

There’s a Independent fundamental Baptist church in our community that advertises: “…----‘s home of the Old-Time Religion”

“Old-Time Religion”

So what’s considered “Old-Time” in regard to Religion?
    How can one protestant denomination claim that their brand of religion is “Old-Time”?

Blessings
    -Tommy

2. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

I can only speak for our IFB, which also refers to “Old-Time Religion” and how we describe it refers to: Use of KJV; plan of salvation presented at every service; gospel music. You'll hear southern gospel and Fanny Crosby along with familiar hymns.

At least two nearby congregations have changed their name, (removing the word Baptist) their message (good news only, don't mention negatives), their music (Christian rock and contemporary.)

Our goals are share the salvation message, worship our Lord and share Christian fellowship -- not to increase attendance figures or build a mega-church.

Would that fit the congregation you mentioned?

3. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

That certainly fits the congregation, with the exception of gospel music, but is that what you listed: KJV, plan of salvation and gospel music really the typical trademark of "Old-Time Religion?"

In the grand scheme of things the KJV with its earliest arrival of 1611 is not even 400 years old and the most widely used KJV is the 1769 edition, which is barely 230 years young. In the light of 2,000 years of Church history that would hardly qualify as “Old-Time.”

Is the “Old-Time” phrase more in light of US history and not Church history?

Blessings

4. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Can't speak for others, but for myself, that's how I interpret it. More like the song, "Give me that old-time religion!"

However, beyond that particular reference, Baptists do believe they are not Protestant, but are New Testament churches, but that's another thread.

#4 Not_hard_to_find, Oct 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2006