1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Old United Baptist in Indiana

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Sis. Sarah, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Does anyone know of any Old United Baptist churches in Indiana? I am still trying to help my family find one to go to. It has to be a church without musical instruments, "special" singings, Sunday schools, secret society membership, buying and selling in the name of the church or on the grounds, and no "missionary" works. Does anyone know of any Old United Baptist churches at all in Indiana? Please IM me or post it on here. I work all the time it seems and have not been able to get on the board much for the past few months or to research this. Some of my friends are trying to help me but I just thought I would put this out here. God bless,

2. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You almost sound like you're describing a number of Primitive Baptist churches.
    Have you tried googling ?

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

What is secret society membership?

No missions? Why?

4. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

My friend from the church is emailing me a list of Primitive Baptist churches, Pinoy. I think this is what we are looking for since we have not found anything close to us here in Indiana. Thanks for the comment.

Amy, a secret society means those like the Masons. We do not fellowship with churches that have masons among their members though we believe some may not know what they are taking part in.

God bless,

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Gotcha. :thumbs:

6. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Freemasons and the like.

In the early 1800's most Baptists were Calvinists, believed that the "Great Commission" was given to the Apostles and not the church, and frowned on missionary societies and boards because of the way these institutions controlled missionaries and their finances. Then some Baptists introduced the doctrine that the "Great Commission" was indeed given to the church, and this caused a big division among Baptists.

From this split came those groups of Baptists referred to as the Missionary Baptists.

I guess you can find out some more by studying the history of missionism in the US among Baptists.

Here's one link: The Black Rock Address. (Although this one is about Primitive Baptists).

I am not speaking in behalf of the Old United Baptists.

Here's one more link in missionism in America, from a non-Primitive Baptist.

Articles on baptist history
    by gary long

Although, honestly, I wouldn't want you bothering about this issue at this point of your studies on the Doctrine of Grace, a.k.a. Reformed Theology.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Thank you, Pinoy.

8. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're welcome.

Be careful though, and observe first, because there are Primitive Baptists nowadays involved in liberalism. Check out the list first.

I did a google of Old Line Primitive Baptists but didn't find any listed in the Indiana area, but the list may actually be incomplete.

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Is that the denomination that believes in marriage without a state license?

If so, I have a friend who attends one in Indiana. I don't know the name of it or where, in Indiana, it is located - but I could find out.

We have agreed to disagree on several issues... :praying:

10. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

I'm sorry I didn't see your second question, Amy. But Pinoy answered it better than I could have anyway.

Pinoy, I know it is hard to find a church here. I was in the wrong kind of ogranization for so many years. I thank God I found the Old Regular Baptists. It is true that if you ask, He will provide. It wasn't until I got serious with the Lord that He started to answer. I was a sheep amidst the wolves until the day I finally realized, if it is not His voice, why am I still hanging around and trying to make myself follow after these peoples' gods? You know, there are still as many false gods out there as the nations in the Old Testament had who were not a part of Israel. It wasn't until God had to show me I was Jewish (from a natural lineage of the Jewish people) that really started dealing with my heart to lead me out of what I was in from my rebirth. I always new something was just not right and now He shows me day-by-day what all those "not rights" were. Praise God. Sis. Sarah

11. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Blessed, I don't know how the Primitive Baptists practice God's marriage laws because I am divorced and have no desire to ever marry again.

12. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by "that the denomination" you mean the Primitive Baptists, that is news to me.

13. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Marriage "License"

Pinoy, do you (or anyone on here who wants to chime in) know if anywhere in the US the church actually has authority to marry people? I mean politically or "legally" by state law? I never heard of this either.

14. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Marriage "License"

Now that Blessed brought it up, ha! ha!, sorry Blessed, does anyone know the particulars of history regarding when the church actually gave its authority to marry over to the state? And since it is done by the state, is this really marriage then? I often thought about this when I was younger. I always wondered why marriage was looked at as just another ceremony within the building and the laws of marriage were never really preached on or taught in the places where I went. Of course now, through the hard times God has brought me through, it is something I would like to be able to talk about to a child, young person, if they ever asked although the thought of union with a person for me is far away until someone brings it up, which they always seem to do. It (the thought) is sometimes more of a bother than anything. Oh well, just wondering about some history on the natural church and state.

15. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Pinoy: I was speaking of Old United Baptist.

Sarah: I don't know much about the church my friend attends in Indiana except that they do not get a state license to marry. They have a church ceremony.

I was just wondering if that was the kind of church you were looking for because I could get you the name from my friend. The way you described it in the OP, it sounded very similar to the one he attends.

16. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Church

Blessed, go ahead and get that info. I am not sure if it is a place I would visit, but this thing about not marrying by the state, it make me think I wouldn't go. Isn't that a common law marriage? I know God wants even sinners to marry legally. The thing you've got me to thinking about is the difference between the law and grace as marriage pertains to the relationship between God and His Bride, The Church. It seems that there are as meany ways of interpreting this as there are people, though we know God's way is the right way! He is so much greater than I am!

17. pinoybaptist

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I don't know of any church here in the US.
    But, I do know of one in my old country, the Philippines.

(deleted rest of post so as not to derail this thread).

#17 pinoybaptist, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007
  18. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Sarah,

My brother and I have been working on pinpointing where United Baptist churches are located in IN. I will try to check with him and others about churches in that area of IN that meet that criteria.

David

19. Sis. Sarah

Sis. Sarah New Member

Weird!

Pinoy, I was getting ready to shut it down and go to read when I read what you wrote. You may not understand what I am about to write, and you will probably not understand how it has helped me either...but seeing it there where you wrote and imagining it as something that has taken place iin some "far away country," well, it really put it all into some perspective for me. What I'm trying to say is just the sort of nonesense you just wrote about (what happened there) is about the same thing I have grown up in around here. I can't tell you how common it was for us children to sit and listen to men who we all knew were (bedwise) Ha! ha! I like that term, here and yonder on there wives or without then, yet we still listened to them in the pulpits! Praise God He brought me out of that bondage and even though I may now be still in wilderness of my journey down here, I am still to this counting on Him to bring me through! God Bless!

20. Bethelassoc

Bethelassoc Member

Blessed, I would like to know also. I am United Baptist and I've been working on researching the United Baptists all around. Whether we be in agreement or not, I try to list the information that they have for historical value.

David

Also, the marriage deal is news to me, too. I've performed 2 marriages with state licenses...

#20 Bethelassoc, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2007