1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured On Lust and Marriage

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Aaron, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An acquaintance of mine "came out" recently. He wanted to tell me about his decision to do so. So we met at a local bar and grill, and over chips and salsa and buffalo wings he told me about his struggle with same gender attraction. He said he just admitted he rolled a certain way and no longer felt any guilt.

He said the New Testament has done away with Leviticus, and doesn't say anything about committed relationships with the same gender. He said what was condemned was prostitution.

Then he asked me what I thought.

I was straightforward. I said lust is lust, and your salvation is not determined by your lust. Salvation is Christ's work. When He resisted the temptation to give in to the lusts of the flesh, the temptation was to turn stones into bread, not to pursue goats.

So lust is lust, whether it be the consumation of food or other strong desire. "You have friends that I know," I said, "whose assurance of salvation rests solely on the fact that they have an opposite gender attraction, and they feel that they are by nature more righteous. But that is not the case. They simply don't struggle against their own lusts like you are being expected to do."

But whether or not he thinks Christ or any New Testament writer spoke of his "identity" issue, Christ did speak of marriage, and defined it as the union of a man and a woman. "Say what you will about Leviticus, and whether or not certain terms appear anywhere in the Scriptures. If prostitution is the issue, then you've asserted that certain behaviors are for the marriage bed, and you can't say that Christ and the New Testament is silent about that."

So what of the lust? There is a remedy and a help for those who cannot contain. He needs to marry a woman.

Though lust is neither the sole nor the primary reason for its creation, marriage is a help for all kinds of lust when entered into advisedly and with the proper gravity. And there is only one kind of marriage—that between a man and a woman.

The great lie is thinking that one's appetites is the basis of his identity, and that because of that assumed identity he can't qualify for marriage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, his need is not to marry a woman and direct his lust through her. His need is to get saved.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll be in prayer for your friend.

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He doesn't need to marry someone to address this issue. It's quite unfair to a potential wife.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aaron, he is probably under conviction due possibly to his knowledge of the Book of Leviticus and its condemnation of certain behaviors. Of course he will want to find relief and rest from the New Testament and of course there is no rest except in the person of Christ.

HankD

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He is saved. Just like the Corinthian who had his father's wife. Just needs to understand that having some same gender attractions and having to forego them is really no different than the married man having to forego the 19-year-old hottie that looks his way.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Have him read through Matt Moore's blog. moorematt.org EXCELLENT stuff he's got in there.

8. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No he is not saved. Read 1st Cor 6

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think my post is being read carefully. He's not a friend, but he thinks highly enough of me (for what reasons I don't know) to have wanted to have this discussion. He's an acquaintance.

The title of this thread starts out, "On Lust . . ." The main point that is being missed is that Salvation is not dependent on one's lusts. Don't forget that one of Sodom's sins was a "fullness of bread" Eze. 16:49. In other words, they were overeating, and in refusing to turn stones to bread to satisfy the strong desires of the flesh, Christ resisted all the sins of Sodom.

His lusts are not something super bad, as if the glutton with his bucket of chicken and the one who keeps bags of candy in her nightstand are overtaken by a lust that is less bad.

Now, whether or not my acquaintance needs to be excommunicated will be determined by his persistence in his denial of the Scriptures, and or whether or not he engages in fornication.

Then you may cast aspersions upon the testimony of his faith.

The second part of the title is ". . . and Marriage." The mere presence of same gender attraction does not mean anything, and it does not disqualify one from marriage any more than the skirt chaser's lusts do, and the same helps and benefits are just as efficacious.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do agree with this statement, yet would have to add the caveat that one should express this struggle to a future spouse. How many marriages are suffering because the husband or the wife did not give full disclosure of sexual struggles before the "I do".

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judith, I don't know if this man is saved or not. And I can't tell by the OP.

All I do know is that Christians - both new and seasoned - can and do struggle with this. Some days the struggle is so acute that the Christian succumbs in defeat to whatever issues they are fighting against and call themselves finished.

Other days, victory over the struggle prevails.

I suggest that you read Matt Moore, the blogger that annsni suggested to the OP for his friend. He's a powerful writer.

Matt is a Christian who acknowledges that this is a grievous sin. He is now celibate. Yet he STILL struggles with this daily. He is quite the encourager - not just to people who fight this issue, but to many Christians - no matter their walk or their fight.

It's folly to teach and believe that because one is saved that he or she will no longer fight any battles, occasionally and like a dog, return to his own vomit, or experience spiritual fatigue. I'm DEFINITELY not excusing any one nor am I saying that it's all just too hard - give up - you can't help it. I don't believe that.

But I do believe that many days it IS hard and sadly, even Christians can give up some days. They shouldn't, but they do.

So, I can't say whether this man is saved or not. All I can say for certain is that he appears to be in the depths of defeat and he needs our prayer, not our condemnation. We don't have that authority to judge his spiritual status based on second hand information.

12. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand and agree. However being saved there is an obligation on his part:

Romans 8
    11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
    12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
    13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
    14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

If we are saved yet persist in and follow after the flesh then the Romans 8 scripture indicates physical death.
    Correct, the manifestation of that lust as to kind, does not matter.

But, if we see this lust welling up in our heart and resist it then we are not subject to death.
    Acknowledgement as well is needed

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

To overcome our slavery to sin is what God wants us to do through the power of His son Jesus Christ.

Revelation 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Would we give up this promise in exchange for the temporary pleasure of sin?

HankD

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin

Bible Thumpin n Gun Totin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suffer similar afflictions. For some reason everyone has a different "major" Sin it seems. For some it's gossip, for others it's greed, anger, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, laziness, lust, or your friend's kind of lust. Once you're Saved, these will not all magically "go away". Some things will certainly change instantaneously. Others may be a constant battle throughout our lives. He will probably battle that specific lust for his whole life. My issue with lust is not of his type, but rather the more natural kind on a more intense scale.

1. Is it Sin to simply have the thought of attraction?
    I don't believe so. Jesus was in the desert when he was tempted by the devil. By tempting Him the devil put thoughts into Christ's head, and Christ soundly, and rightly so, rejected those thoughts through Scripture. We are told Christ is Sinless in the Bible, therefore the thoughts, so long as they are responded to correctly, are not sin in and of themselves.

2. We are to take every thought captive to the will of Christ.
    As such when he does have these thoughts he ought to immediately reject them as wrong and ungodly as Christ did in the desert.

3. What happens if he slips up as you mention and "returns to his own vomit"?
    Well, if a Christian has anger issues and flies off the handle occasionally. Is he not Saved?
    If a Christian has issues with greed, and he makes a bad decision with his finances, is he now not Saved?
    I believe, and the Bible teaches, that we will all slip up in a wide range of sin from greed to lust. The difference is whether that Sin has become a lifestyle. If he does it daily, does not repent, and sees no problem in it. Then he is in trouble. If he slips up once in a blue moon, and does something stupid, and honestly repents, then I believe it's just like any other sin people suffer with.

4. Should he marry?
    I'm not married myself, and I'm only 22, so take this with a grain of salt...

I agree that lust is lust, and that he needs to be married. He would also need to be upfront with his future wife about it. All lust, when given enough leash over time, will take any person exactly where your friend is. As such, as the leash of lust is shortened through repentance and continual regeneration, and through his wife, I expect for it to get better and return to its natural state. But will it ever go away fully? I don't think so. It's sort of like an Alcoholic. They can stop drinking for years, but if they get a whiff of Alcohol they can be tempted to fall back into the old way of thinking. Same thing with lust of all kinds. He would just need to steer clear of any "whiffs" of lust.

Mods: I tried to tip toe around the subject as it's not supposed to be discussed. Feel free to edit parts if you think I went too close to the subject. If the whole post needs to be removed let me know through PM please and I'll not do that part again.

14. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We only know that the Corinthian was saved because he repented.(2 Corinthians 2:3-10).
    If one of Christ's sheep goes astray, the Good Shepherd will seek him out and bring him back into the narrow way. If that does not happen, it means that the sheep in question does not belong to Christ.

To tell this man that he is saved is the unkindest think that you could say to him. It will confirm him in his sin. What part of 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 is so hard to understand? And if he thinks he has been washed (v.11), why is he still rolling in the mire (2 Peter 2:22)?

Members of my family are in the thrall of this particular sin, so I don't say these things lightly. :Frown

#14 Martin Marprelate, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  15. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I could see the argument for marriage, if the person could be open about his feelings before marriage to his future partner.

That being said, if he is not really attracted to women, marriage won't help a thing. To use an analogy, it would be like having a straight man marry a woman for whom he has no attraction. That's a recipe for disaster, unfair to the woman, and ultimately may exacerbate the problem. Marriage won't fix the desires. It's not just a lust problem. It's qualitatively different when you are talking about different genders.

16. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a number of friends who either struggle with same sex attraction or have decided to engage in a same-sex relationship. One friend is even in a same-sex marriage with an adopted daughter.

I have found that the most effective scriptures to discuss are found in Romans 1 where Paul lays out how the world is not what God has intended it to be. Deviation from God's intent is simply sin. What Paul has written can't be dismissed as prostitution or pederasty or anything else.

That being said, the issues here are extremely deep. Your friend needs to decide if he wants to willingly engage in a life of sin, or if he wants to be faithful to God. Getting married to a woman is not the answer but only a complication unless he finds women sexually attractive. But the real issue is sexual control. One should be able to abstain from sexual relations when they are not appropriate. As someone who spent much of my adult life as a single man, I am quite familiar with the struggle. The way to overcome desire is to decide at the beginning what kind of person you are going to be, then avoid situations where you are going to have that commitment challenged. If one asks God for assistance, you will receive enormous assistance.

The big misunderstanding in this area today is the idea that sexual desires MUST be fulfilled. They do not need to be fulfilled at all. In fact, pursuing sexual satisfaction leads to only short-term fulfillment (if even that) and only intensifies the sexual longing, since sexual relations are designed to draw people to each other.

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to think that way. I don't any more. The reason it seems complicated and "deep" is because of the century of psychobabble on the issue. It's about as deep as adultery is.

What does one do for a glutton? Gluttony, as described in the Scriptures, is not so much over indulging. That's drunkness, and that term is used for excess of food and wine. Gluttony can and often does include overeating, but is characterized more by inordinate tastes.

What one does for a glutton is to cut his portions, and observe some dietary rules, then gets him off his butt so his mind isn't on food all the time. Very soon, the sweetness of fruits and vegetables is incredibly satisfying and enjoyable, and the richness of pies and cakes, cheese-stuffed pizza crusts he will find sickening.

I said marriage is a help, but not for the reasons that appear to be getting all the focus. I said marriage entered into advisedly and with the proper gravity will be a tremendous help. And regardless of his appetites, he still knows a good-looking woman when he sees one, so the issue of attraction is moot.

"Forsaking all others" is the lynch-pin. No one is compelled anymore by same-gender attractions to be unfaithful to a marriage than one is by opposite-gender attactions. The issue is lust, not the object of one's lust.

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if he can recognize a good looking woman, that's not the same. A straight person can recognize a good looking person of the same sex without having any kind of attraction to him/her. Now, if you mean he's actually attracted to both sexes, then that's a bit easier (but still not truly easy).

And I am always trying to see things from the prospective spouse's perspective. The husband may try to make things work, but the wife is going to have a very difficult time with all of this. I would highly discourage any woman from marrying such a man without intensive counseling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To say so ultimately means that there is a subset of men for whom the Scriptures do not apply.

20. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How so? Isn't celibacy an option?