1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Once Saved Always Saved?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by JSM17, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Steaver,

Sorry, I do not agree with your own interpreting of Heb. 10:39. Because you avoid Heb. 10:22-38 speaking very clear with warnings and condional is direct or apply toward us as Christians, not just for Jews only. Well as also in 1 Cor. 10:1-6 saying the same thing with Heb. 10:22-39.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hebrews 10:1-9; Jesus is the sacrifice that takes away sins forever. No more sacrifices to be made.

Hebrews 10:10; "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all]." Are you sanctified DPT?

Hebrews 10:11-13; Jesus made one sacrifice for sin, it is finished.

Hebrews 10:14; "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." Are you one of the "we" who are sanctified DPT? Do you understand "for ever"?

Hebrews 10:15-16; God has given "we" Christians the Holy Ghost.

Hebrews 10:17; "And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more."

Hebrews 10:17-21; "We" have a High Priest over "us".

Hebrews 10: 22-25; Don't be shaken because Jesus promissed we are sanctified by His blood.

Hebrews 10:26-28; If we sin willfully we will suffer consquences from our God, because He loves us and corrects those He loves, even if it means death as in the case of Moses' time.

Hebrews 10:31; "Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? You are one of the sanctified for ever, right DPT?

Hebrews 10:32-34; Encouragement to hang in there, don't trample the blood which has sanctified you.

Hebrews 10:35-36; Have patience, cast not away your confidence which ye had in the beginning, when Jesus sanctified you for ever. You are sanctified for ever, right DPT? That is what we have read so far, right DPT?

Hebrews 10: 37-38; Now the just shall live by faith, but if you draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in you.

Hebrews 10:39; But we are not of them who draw back unto perdition; but of them that believe to the saving of the soul. OSAS!

What have we learned from Hebrews 10?

1) Those in Christ are sanctified for ever. OSAS
    2) Those in Christ are perfected for ever. OSAS
    3) Those in Christ could face some fearful consequences if they sin willfully, even death.
    4) Those in Christ should remember those tribulations they endured when they first believed.
    5) Those in Christ are encouraged to stay strong in the Lord, endure persecution, keep confident in the promise of Jesus Christ. OSAS.
    6) The Just shall live by faith, not by works of righteousness.
    7) Those in Christ are not of them who draw back unto perdition, but are those who believe unto the saving of the soul. OSAS

Conclusion; Not one verse that would suggest a Christian can lose salvation. In fact, the exact opposite, "perfected and sanctified FOR EVER!"

Hebrews 10 is one of the strongest passages that declares OSAS. I love it!

God Bless! :jesus:

#222 steaver, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2009
  3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Quite a bold statement.
    I will just say in response: Your interpretation is in error, and leave it at that.

4. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

Heb 10:29-39

29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Is this even possible? Is the Author of Hebrews writting things that could never happen, that one who has been SANCTIFIED, those who trample the Son of God underfoot or to count the blood of the covenant a common thing and insult the Spirit of Grace?

30 For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people."
    31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

32 But recall the former days in which, after you were illuminated, you endured a great struggle with sufferings:

This must refer to also when they were sanctified (I.E. SAVED)

33 partly while you were made a spectacle both by reproaches and tribulations, and partly while you became companions of those who were so treated;

This men were not playing Christian, they are Christians!
    34 for you had compassion on me in my chains, and joyfully accepted the plundering of your goods, knowing that you have a better and an enduring possession for yourselves in heaven.

The author says that they had a hope of Heaven, was the author mistaken about that as well?

35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.

Why if they are Christians they cannot trow away thier confidence, could they?

36 For you have need of endurance, so that after you have done the will of God, you may receive the promise:

Why do they need endurance if they are saved, and the author has already proven they are, they cannot possibly fall away?

37 "For yet a little while, And He who is coming will come and will not tarry.

38 Now the just shall live by faith; But if anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him."

He clearly is saying this to Christians, within the context!

39 But we are not of those who draw back to perdition, but of those who believe to the saving of the soul.
    NKJV

The author says this is what Christians should be, but he does not say it is impossible, due to the statements that he has so clearly given in the context and in the rest of the Epistle

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

HP: Is 2Cor 13:5 only for the admonition of those after the rapture DHK?

6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: How do you examine yourself? I am not asking you about examining Scripture, I am asking you about examining yourself.

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a good question HP and I believe it would make a good thread topic. So I will start a new thread on this subject since this thread is in it's twenties. :wavey:

8. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

Heb 3:12-4:1
    Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.

13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,

15 while it is said, "TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS, AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME."

16 For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses?

17 And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness?

18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient?

19 So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.

NASU

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Please explain that you have more intelligence than my four year old, who is also able to copy and paste on a computer.
    What is the purpose for your copy and paste here?

10. JSM17

JSM17 New Member

DHK Wrote:
    Heb 3:12-4:1
    Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.

How can anyone fall away from that in which he is not of?

13 But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called "Today," so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.

Why would a none christian have to be worried about a hardened heart if an uncovert soul has a depraved heart already, is he not hardened towards God already by the deceirfulness of sin?

14 For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end,

These brethren have already become partakers of Christ, this is who the author is addressing, is it not?

15 while it is said, "TODAY IF YOU HEAR HIS VOICE, DO NOT HARDEN YOUR HEARTS, AS WHEN THEY PROVOKED ME."

16 For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses?

17 And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose bodies fell in the wilderness?

18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient?

19 So we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief.

Just as those in the wilderness hardened their hearts towards God which is unbelief, so the author of Hebrews warns these brethren the same way.

This letter is not written directly to non-Christians, or even written to those who were playing church, it is written to Hebrew Christians who were struggling with resorting back to the ways of their fathers.
    This is why the Author show the differences between Moses and Jesus, Angels and Jesus, the high priest ans Jesus, the two covenants, Sinai and Zion. This is why he reminds them of the new and living way. The fact is that many of them had not grown as they should have and because of their lack of growth they were stumbling with the possiblity of falling as the author states above.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Maybe you should try cutting and pasting when you desire to insult another. I would certainly believe a cut and pasted Scriptural response is far more in keeping with the spirit of the rules of this forum than your personal insult. It would certainly appear to me to be more in keeping with the spirit of love than your insult on another’s intelligence.

Here is an excellent cut and paste for all to consider: 1Jo 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Verse 14 gives a qualifier for being partakers of Christ, IF we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.

Those who are unbelieving will be manifested that they were never a partaker of Christ IF they did not hold fast and continue as professed in the beginning.

We must use scripture in determining interpretations of scripture.

1Jo 2:19They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

It doesn't get any clearer than this passage of scripture that their are pretenders WITHIN the church who after awhile fall away and manifest themselves as not true "born of God" believers.

Furthermore, the writer of Hebrews speaks of OSAS in many passages (which you have chosen to ignore I guess) so he would not be contradicting himself...

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: You have not produced one passage that indicates OSAS. All you have produced is a great ability to insert the presupposition of OSAS into any and every Scripture you so desire. You simply beg the question, assuming it to be true without first establishing the evidence. Because you type “OSAS” after every verse in no wise necessitates any such thing is taught by the verse itself. :)

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I'll repeat it again, with no malice intended.
    My children no how to cut and paste. It is easy to do.

This thread is about OSAS. How does a "cut and paste" contribute anything to the OP? It doesn't. Why don't I post Rev.21? What will that contribute? If not put into a context or explained, nothing.

In fact your post contributed nothing to the OP as well. Don't derail this topic and take up valuable space by personal attacks. If you are going to post make sure you are contributing to the subject being discussed. A lengthy passage of Scripture doesn't do that if no explanation is given.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you for your explanation of these verses. Now it gives us something to work with. Concerning verse 12, look first at verse 11:

Hebrews 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
    --He was referring to those who did not believe. Only Joshua and Caleb believed. And only they, along with the generation following them would enter into the Promised Land. The entire generation of Joshua and Caleb would be left out in the wilderness to wander and die because of their unbelief. "Belief" is the key word, that is, belief or faith.
    The Promised Land is a picture of Rest or salvation, as Christ is a picture of Rest or salvation. There were some Hebrews among those whom Paul was writing to that were thinking of going back into Judaism. Some of them were not believing that Christ could save, but rather that the old sacrificial system would save, and thus the contrast. If they continued in their unbelief (that the OT system of sacrifices would save, and not Christ), they would fall away from the living God (Jehovah). For now, all who come to Jehovah must needs come through Jesus Christ, the Messiah whom the Hebrews have rejected.
    Paul is writing to believers at large. But within those believers there are some that don't believe and want to return to Judaism. As believers we are to encourage each other.
    Every day unbelievers sit under the teaching of the gospel. The more they hear it, the more they harden hearts toward it. They think (out of their own pride), that their religion is better, or that they are good enough. Paul warns them not to harden their hearts.
    Every believe is a partaker of Christ, and every believer will hold fast until the end. The reason is simple. It is Christ that holds our salvation for us. See Phil.1:6. Remember that Paul is writing to believers in general. He is contrasting the OT covenant to the NT covenant. In the NT, we are made partakers with Christ; not so in the OT. These unbelievers better be made aware of what they are about to walk away from.
    2 Corinthians 6:2 (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
    --This verse is similar in meaning isn't it?
    Today is the day of salvation; tomorrow it may be too late. This was a warning.

Those in the wilderness did not enter the promised land because of unbelief.
    If you do not believe, neither will you enter into God's rest--heaven.
    Salvation is by faith in Christ. It by belief. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved." They had to trust Christ and Him alone. The OT sacrificial system could not save them.

Your assessment is not bad. But the ones that were stumbling with the possibility of going back into Judaism were probably not saved individuals. Paul was warning them that they better make that decision to trust Christ now before it is too late.

16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hebrews 10:10; "By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once [for all]." Are you one of the "we" who is sanctified HP?
    Hebrews 10:14; "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." Are you one of the "we" who are sanctified HP? Do you understand "perfected for ever" HP?

I understand "perfect" and "for ever" as OSAS. Can you explain why "for ever" is not eternal?

As you respond HP, please answer the Question, have you been sanctified by Jesus Christ? Does the word of God lie when it describes those Born of God as "forever" and "perfected" and "eternal" ?

:jesus:

17. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: The word sanctified has at least two clear meanings in relationship to the believer. Your question is so vague, making no distinction as to what meaning you are placing on the word sanctification that an answer to your question is impossible. Define your terms Steaver as to what you mean by sanctication, and to what you see the verse you are mentioning meaning by the word sanctification, and to what sense you are referring to, and I will try again to answer. As for my personal testimony, God will be the judge of that.

HP: Well, according to some on the list that would be remaining perpetual liars, adulterers, etc. but that seems a bit strange to me. I see ‘perfect’ or being ‘perfected’ as blameless for starters, something at antipodes with sin so many claim to practice daily.

HP: In this life we have a hope of eternal life, IF we remain faithful unto the end. Heb 3:6 “But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.” God has limited my knowledge of my standing of inheriting eternal life by faith with the possibility of deception. He has warned me to examine myself, and to be faithful to the end, without which I will not make heaven my eternal home. I know that does not seem to be the case with you, with your absolute knowledge you claim God has granted to you. I am in a state of probation and will not received the promised possession in finality until I stand before God in judgment. I fully understand that such is not the case with you or DHK. You have it all now absolutely without the possibility of change. Again, we shall see in the end. May we all make our calling and election certain, you and DHK with your absolute knowledge, and I by hope and faith.

Oh yes, eternal is forever, but I now have the mere earnest of that hope. Again, I know you and DHK have it all now and that absolutely.

I cannot help but wonder how your faith is suppose to increase, having absolute knowledge and everything. Maybe absolute doesn’t really mean absolute to you? My faith is ever increasing. I am saved by hope. How one can be saved by hope when in reality they have absolute knowledge is beyond me. Maybe hope does not really mean hope to you, but is rather is a code word for absolute knowledge. Ro 8:24 “For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?”

Before this post gets too long I had better wait for your responses.

#237 Heavenly Pilgrim, Mar 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2009
  18. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe I am still waiting for your answers.

Tell you what, you pick the one you believe it is speaking of and give your answer. Are you one of the "sanctified and perfected forever" HP? However you wish to define sanctified.

When we get these things settled we can start a thread on "hope" and how this term is defined in the scriptures.

19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'll help you out,

"hagiazo"...to make holy

20. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: With that leeway, certainly I believe it should be the ‘hope’ of every believer, ‘by faith’ that they are eternally sanctified. The question is, can one be deceived as to that which they hope for? I say absolutely. Now what was your answer? Can one be deceived as to their hope?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.