1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One More Question on Obama

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

That made me laugh! :)

Jamie

2. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

While I am not so sure that he needs to change his name he certainly does need to denounce Islam since he was once associated with it and still is in some ways through his family.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Wonder why I keep hearing the Bush dynasty, the Clinton dynasty, the Kennedy dynasty. Wonder why when a Kennedy endorses a person, it brings so much attention. Does the name make the man, NO but it can give him recognition such as Obama............ being recognized as a muslim name. Just read some of the posts on this thread and see if the name Obama did not cause a stir, being he was running for President of the United States. At least be truthful about the matter and don't act like it did not cause a mixed feeling about the man. Whether true or not, we will just have to wait and see won't we?

I said the name would cause concern such as Jackson. Are you kin to Jesse?

BBob,

4. belvedere

belvedere Member

I'll ask the same question I asked in the previous thread: do you honestly believe that a Christian can support not only abortion, but partial-birth abortion? For those who defend Obama as being a Christian, I'd like you to go on record as saying you see no problem for someone to hold these views and declare himself a Christian.

5. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not sure about Obama's view of partial birth abortion, but the following quote from an interview with Christianity Today suggests he would have voted for the partial birth abortion bill if it left exceptions for the mother's health.

I am not aware of the contents of the actual bills he may have voted against nor whether Obama would have really voted differently if those exceptions had been made.

#25 Gold Dragon, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2008
  6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Christian can support candidates who think that the government should stay out of this private decision. That is not the same thing as supporting abortion.

I don't want the government regulating caloric intake. However, this does not mean that I support obesity.

Personally, I am opposed to all abortions for any reason. I would like to see Roe v. Wade overturned. This would return our nation to the situation that existed before that decision - each state made its own laws concerning abortion.

Also, abortion is one issue among a plethora of issues that I base my voting on. Abortion does not drive my vote. Abortion being legal does not mean that any abortion has to take place as abortions are not mandated in these United States. The responsibility for an abortion lies with the pregnant woman who agrees to an abortion procedure and the doctor who performs the abortion procedure - no one else.

Christians hold views all over the political spectrum. I have no interest in badmouthing a Christian who holds a different political view on an issue than I do. I certainly will not question a person's relationship with God over politics.

7. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

You're making the wrong comparsion in my opinion. The examples you gave not not known for only their name, they are known for what they have done, or not done.

As far as his name being recognized as a muslim name, every name has a lineage behind it. The Irish are volient drunks.. The french are just drunks. The Russians.. well they're drunks and voilet and against America. Now, I don't believe any of this, but there are people that would or even believe worse. Should every one change their name?

BTW, what was your name before you became a Chrstian?

I will give you some credit in that closed minded people will worry about the name. There are some people that believe Obama is connected to Osama some how. Or get this, how about the simpleton's that used his middle name when they didn't use anyone else's. On this board on less! but you see, it's not the name, it's their simple mindedness that causes the trouble.

I am being truthful. I believe a name means nothing, it's the man that means something.

We certainly will.

Hum.. You could have said that or any other last named Jackson person, but how or what do you know about me from my name? You believe that people will know what Obama is or will be just by his name. So, again, what do you know about me just from my name? Not, who is named with the same last name, but can you tell anything from my name?

Jamie

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

The fact that you have to defend his name, tells me enough about the recognition of his name and makes people wonder if he has any connections to his past. We would not even be having this discussion or this thread if his name were not Osama. You can deny that if you like, but it is quite obvious.

BBob,

BBob,

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Now who is kidding themselves? No one is defending his name, I am only pointing out that his name, like others is just that. A name. It has nothing to do with his past. If so, then what do you think the discussion would be if he had the same name but never had anything to do with the muslim faith? It's people's simple preconceived notches that has you thinking abou this. You're just buying what they're selling. nothing more, nothing less.

Now stop being silly. I am going to say something, and it might seem rude, but in my opinion it's the truth.

We would not be discussing this if a simple minded question hadn't asked. Yes, it may have been asked with all innocence, but it's a silly question and one that has been answered respectfully up to and including the references to the Bible and name changes.

You are just crazy to buy into it. A name is just a name. Period.

BTW, you still haven't answer eithe of my questions.

What does my name tell you about me and what was your name before you were a Christian?

Jamie

10. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Exactly right. What was is Shakespeare said about a rose by any other name? :thumbs:

I am also sick of people trying to associate Sen. Obama with Saddam Hussein over his middle name, a common one in the Arab world. Besides, one of America's staunchest allies in the troubled Middle East was the late King Hussein of Jordan.

Perhaps we should change the Arab name "Algebra" and quit teaching it to our kids. Maybe we should go back to godly Roman numerals rather than the Arabic ones we use now. :rolleyes:

#30 Magnetic Poles, Feb 2, 2008
  11. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Pull your head out of the sand and join the real world of which you live. Start by googleing "Osama" and see if its just a few or not.

You name tells me nothing about you, unless you are related to Jesse. Your posts tell me a whole lot. :thumbs:

BBob,

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, What A Witness a Name Change Would Be!

I don't disagree with you Tim, but, wouldn't that be a great witness to the world on his behalf? I meant, he cames to Jesus, and drops any and ALL affiliation with Muslims. That's what we are expected to do, per Jesus, if we are to follow Him. Many turned back and went the other way when they heard from Jesus the cost of following Him. Obama could solidify his faith by making a name change.

13. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

hum... want to play ugly now.. When your arguement don't fit your position, beat up the poster and not the topic. ok.

Not sure why you picked Osama since we're talking about Obama. Me thinks you slipped and we finally see how your dots are connected. You seem to want to think Obama and Osama are related.. :rolleyes:

but for fun, I played your game..

Google results with search option: name Osama 2,000,000 results.
    Google results with search option: name Bob 133,000,000 results.

Are you worse because you have more results? Is Obama bad because his name is close to Osama? You need to grow up.

Yeah, since you can't win with your arguement and my name, you want to just lay it down with my posting. :) Nice... The same seems to apply to you. I can't describe how your posting and your opinions tells me about you. One of the rules of this board is to be nice. Also, it's nice for you to "overlook" a question to you because you know it will kill your position in this thread.

With that, we will agree to disagree. Our views will never come close on this topic.

Later...

Jamie

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

What was your name before you found Christ?

Jamie

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the world would think he was nuts and other than maybe a handful of folks like you other Christians wouldn't think any better of him - religiously or politically.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrighteousdude2?

:tonofbricks:

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Arem Finally Tracking

You and I agree on these issues. It's great to be one in the spirit when it comes to matters of faith, personal witness, etc.

18. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Who got personal first????

Me think it was you. I really do not think this was much of a discussion after all. I tried but to no avail. As far as Osama and Obama, you knew without much effort who I was talking about, being they both have muslim names, maybe they are kin?

BBob,

#38 Brother Bob, Feb 2, 2008
  19. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bob and Fred Phelps are also both English names. You kin?

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are rather irresponsible with the use of innuendo.

Maybe you are kin to some nefarious person? Have you ever checked your genealogy or all of your relatives who are currently alive?

Besides, aren't we all descended from Adam and Eve and, thus, kin?

#40 KenH, Feb 2, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.