1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One more verse for eternal security

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven2006, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

While reading the bible today, this verse jumped out in that this is yet another verse that promises the believer that he/she can't lose ones salvation.

Rom 11:29 " for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. "

Since we know that salvation is a gift of God (Eph2:8), this verse promises us it cannot be revoked.

ir·rev·o·ca·ble Pronunciation[i-rev-uh-kuh-buhl]
    –adjective not to be revoked or recalled; unable to be repealed or annulled; unalterable: an irrevocable decree.

#1 Steven2006, Apr 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2008
  2. standingfirminChrist

Knocks the 'P' petal off the flower, doesn't it?

3. skypair

skypair Active Member

AMEN, Steven!!

Got any more promises we can rejoice and be thankful for?

skypair

4. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Thanks, to the two of you for responding to my thoughts.

:godisgood:

5. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I like the verses that speak of our salvation as being "eternal" or "everlasting". God gives us ETERNAL life and not temporary life until the next time we sin, and how many times a day does the average Christian sin? I heard a pastor and the dean of my Bible college both say that "There's not a sin committed by the unsaved that a Christian cannot commit." We must never think more highly of ourselves than we ought.

I thank God that I don't have to depend on myself to be saved or to stay saved--especially since God's word says that "All our righteousnesses are as filthy rags." Does God accept filthy rags as payment for sin?

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

HUH? That's just what "perseverance of the saints" means. I don't understand your comment.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

There are non calvinists, there are arminians.
    Then there are anti calvinists.

And I have no idea what he was getting at with that comment.

8. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Atleast I'm not alone!

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Exactly, when I read verses that promise us eternal life, they are such comfort. It is not that I didn't believe it before, but reassuring non the less. I guess for me I just find it very humbling to believe that God would save a wretch like me. It is just plain and simple not something I deserve, yet by His grace because He loves me so much He suffered for me so that I may live. It brings tears to my eyes. Sometimes I just need to read verses like this, just for the reassurance they give. For some reason I had never read or heard this verse in that context before, even though I am sure many others have.

10. RevJWWhiteJr

RevJWWhiteJr New Member

Planted together

Also,

Romans 6:5
    5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

If we have been buried with him into his death by baptism of the Holy Spirit (the person of God that tasted death for every individual) we will be resurrected in his likeness at whichever time in the future you believe that to be. RevJW.

11. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'd like to have you clarify this statement, because this verse supports the "P", perseverance of the saints.

12. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thank you Dale!

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is what perseverance means.
    Perseverance
    PERSEVE'RANCE
    , n. [L. perseverantia. See Persevere.]
    1. Persistence in any thing undertaken; continued pursuit or prosecution of any business or enterprise begun; applied alike to good or evil.
    Perseverance keeps honor bright.
    Patience and perseverance overcome the greatest difficulties.
    2. In theology, continuance in a state of grace to a state of glory; sometimes called final perseverance.
    The word perseverance suggest that God has to Spiritually work to keep us
    God doesn't do anything to keep us saved. Salvation is eternal. If God is perfect and He is, then being saved is perfect. No need to continue us. Everything that needs to be done has already been done. We are saved for eternity, saved is past tense. We aren't saved continuously for eternity. This implies being saved over and over again.
    MB