1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

One Nation Under God

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by TexasSky, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ben Franklin sometimes participated in the hell-fire clubs when in England. They were not called hell-fire clubs specifically but that is what they were generally referred to as. These were founded by men who wanted to thumb their nose at Christianity and religion in general. Many of the members were rationalists (though called hell-fire, members were not Satanists).

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Marcia, (and whoever made the other post trying to discredit these men.)

Franklin did not become a Christian until very late in his life. At times when he spoke of his faith in Christ he often referred back to the foolishness of his youth and his days of rejecting God.

The comments about Mason being the source of the Washington rumors is inaccurate. Washington was very close to Mason. In fact, Mason, an elder in the Presbyterian faith, hoped that Washington would become a minister. However, Mason did not write the diaries. The text I used was not the Mason text. Mason was dead in 1919.

I find it fascinating that so many people work so hard to try to prove a lie, and to paint a picture of faithlessness about the founding father's of America.

What good does it bring you to spread such lies?

The proof is out there in their own words, in their own writing, or in the offical records of our nation.

Since this was a "debate" on this board - it was a topic of conversation today among some people I spend the fourth with. One is a historian. They assured me that both the Washington and the Franklin quotes are accurate. Another was a retired teacher, now 73 years of age, who said, "Yes, we frequently taught both when I started out. It wasn't until about the 60's that people started making the claims these men were godless." I asked, "Where did the claims come from?" They said, "Mainly agnostics twisting history. Franklin wasn't Christian as a youth, and they point to his godless years as if they were his only years. Washington was actually studying to become a church elder before he changed to a miliary career.

You people are young, and you're re-writing history, or you're buying into the lies of those who did, and its sad.

You people always rush around screaming, "Your sources are wrong," and yet, you never stop to pray over your own sources, or to research it, really research it yourself.

There was no motive, no reason, no need, in the 1700's, 1800's, or early 1900's to lie about the faith of these men. This is all something that has come up in the last 30 years maximum. Perhaps only the last 20 years.

Yet, you rush forward to embrace lies, without ever bothering to question the source of them, or the motives of them.

You people really need to pray for discernment.

By the way: Wikipedia is the most inaccurate source of research information I ever heard of in my life. It can be edited by absolutely anyone who can pull up the website.

Studies done showed that people can alter information on its sight and have it remain up there, in error, for weeks, until the editor doing the study pulled it down theirself.

Considering how skeptical you all are about everything else in life, how is it you trust an internet web-site that lets anyone, without any question of their credentials, post information to it as if it has been researched and edited?

Learn discernment people.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

TexasSky, you said to me:
    I made no such comment. :confused: You're getting me mixed up with someone else.

The only post I made on this thread had to do with Ben Franklin.

Where is the evidence that Franklin became a Christian? I never heard that.

4. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Marcia,

Franklin, when he was 81 years old, gave an address asking that the US Congress begin their sessions with prayer. He stated that his reason for the request was the unmistakable evidence that God had helped them through the revolution.

The text of that speech is listed in the Library of Congress.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks, TexasSky, but how does that show he is a Christian?

6. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Marcia,

Find his quotes and read his words.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Ben Franklin, like Thomas Jefferson, admired the morality of Christianity but, as far as I can tell, was not a Christian and neither was Jefferson. Franklin talks about God, but I can't find any statement that shows he believed in Christ as the Savior or was a Christian.

Until I see some evidence for it, I will continue to assert that Franklin was not a Christian.

Do you have some links that show he was a Christian?

8. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Jefferson was not a Christian.
    Franklin became one later in life .
    Go to Franklin's own autobiography.

9. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Actually, it matters little if any one or several of the founders of the republic were Christians or not. The fact is, they created one of the world's best experiments in representative democracy. They were not perfect, they didn't count women, blacks and American Indians as full citizens, nor white males who didn't own land.

Still, the concepts were expanded, and they were good ones. Concepts that the government derives its powers from the governed; that minority rights are protected from the tyranny of pure majority rule; that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are fundamental human rights, that protection from unjust search and seizure are important; that the right to face your accuser and have a speedy trial have value.

I don't believe the US was founded upon Christianity (in fact the Treaty of Tripoli explicitly says it was not). There is no mention of God in the Constitution, the document which formed the current institutions of Government.

That said, I still believe that God watches over us, individually and collectively, and that our petty nationalistic views are a great divider. God's people come in all races, nationalities, and genders. He didn't say to share the gospel to the United States of America...he said to share it with all nations.

Does God care more about a white American male than he does a little girl born to poverty in Turkmenistan? Not any God worth my worship! God is no respecter of persons.

There are no Christian nations. There are Christian people.

10. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Marcia,

It matters a great deal to me whether or not this is a Christian nation with Christian leaders, and it matters to me whether or not it was founded by Christian leaders or not.

I take the bible very seriously in the places it says that nations which go against God are destroyed.

You and I disagree on quite a bit though.

I gather you either couldn't find the Franklin quotes or didn't bother to try.

Despite the recent references to Franklin and the Hell-Clubs (I've never found real evidence of that by the way), he, like Washington, was originally meant for the profession of clergy.

Franklin totally rebelled.
    He went his own way, and did a lot of sinful and wild things, but then, so did Solomon.

In the end of his life, Franklin gave his congressional speech, crediting God with saving the rebels who rebelled against England and in creating America. In that speech he makes a passionate plea for men to seek God's guideance for the new nation, each day, by beginning the congressional sessions with a prayer. He quotes Christ about three times in that speech.

But, modern, hateful, sinful man wants us to remember Franklin, Johnson, Washington, Adams, Madison, and others - not for what they DID do RIGHT, but as evil men who got a few things right.

If Satan can discredit the men of God, Satan can take away the strength of their messages in support of God.

By the way - many of the men who signed that Declaration of Indepenence were practicing clergymen in Christian, protestant churches. Many others had studied to become clergymen and sought other ways.

No one ever said that God cared more about white Americans than He did in those in Turkey, but the proof that God blesses a nation that turns to God is seen in how American prospered when it followed God, while those nations that turned their back on God suffered.

Its biblical, but its also historically obvious.

11. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Tex, Magnetic Poles said that, not Marcia.

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    "In the end of his life, Franklin gave his congressional speech, crediting God with saving the rebels who rebelled against England and in creating America. In that speech he makes a passionate plea for men to seek God's guideance for the new nation, each day, by beginning the congressional sessions with a prayer. He quotes Christ about three times in that speech."

He nowhere quotes Christ in the speech (according to Madison's version.) And Congress declined to entertain the motion. Which of the two events proves one's point?

"Franklin became one (a Christian) later in life .
    Go to Franklin's own autobiography."

Can you provide the location of this info? I have not found it in the Autobiography.

"Yet, you rush forward to embrace lies, without ever bothering to question the source of them, or the motives of them."

That is what others have tried to tell you, only to be told they were without discernment.

Whether you know it or not, Barton is the source of much of your information. The one not remarked upon is the study by professors at the University of Houston, whose author is nowhere disclosed — probably for good reason.

"But, modern, hateful, sinful man wants us to remember Franklin, Johnson, Washington, Adams, Madison, and others - not for what they DID do RIGHT, but as evil men who got a few things right.

If Satan can discredit the men of God, Satan can take away the strength of their messages in support of God."

No, but we also do not believe in creating a mythology that supports our position. Untruth in the service of truth is still untruth.

The religious convictions of the Founders are of interest — and I have no doubt that they (by and large) were moderately religious, some very religious.

But the institutions they created do not stand and fall on whether the Founders were pious; the Confederacy lasted only four years, and you could hardly find a more pious (or at least self-righteous) politicians.

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

TexasSky, I have looked. There is no evidence that Franklin became a Christian. You are not being nice to tell me I didn't look. Is this how you convince people of your view? Attack them? You are not providing evidence because it's not there.

This reminds me of the Christian "story" that Darwin became a Christian on his deathbed. That was a myth, yet as a new believer, I did not think Christians would assert things that were not true, so I believed it, only to find out later that it was not true at all!

Read rsr's post.

14. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

I'm not attacking you.
    The evidence regarding Franklin is in the autobiography and, in my opinion, in the speech delivered to Congress itself. It is in his letter to his son.
    I've just noticed a tendancy on the internet for young people to assume if they can't find it on Google search engines that it doesn't exist.
    That is rather frightening since a tremendously large amount of internet information is wrong or missing huge chunks of data.
    Since the Franklin Autobiography IS on line, as well as the speech to Congress, I find it hard to believe people did more than run a quick "Franklin/Christ" search, which would be more likely to turn up about 20 athiests sites than it would historical fact.

RSR - Among the evidence of Franklin turning to God is the speech Franklin gave when he was 81 years old. It is part of the congressional record and has been posted for all to read.

Apparently though, no one bothered to read it. Or having read it, decided to ignore it.

Either way, its out there, its been posted.

No, he does not say, "Jesus Christ," but he DOES speak of how God and God alone got this country where it was at that time, He DOES quote Christ, He DOES say that we, as a nation, need to turn to God for guideance, and it is a historical fact that it was the intention of his parents to make him a protestant Christian minister as a child.

Now, maybe I AM wrong, but seems to me that a man raised with the intent of going into the clergy (that IS in the autobiograhy), who admits, later in life, that he went astray, but who says that as he gots older he realized that God is in control, and in admitting that encourages men to follow God, while quoting Christ is most likely a man who has turned to Christ, and who urges Congress to start their sessions with prayer is not likely to be the athiest/agnostic/diest people try to paint him out to be.

Of course, I do realize that in this day and age, encouraging men to follow God, quoting Christ, giving God credit for good, and urging prayer to God means nothing in the eyes of people who want to scream, "You aren't a Christian," but even those people have to admit, it isn't the athiest, "god-mocker" that people try to make Franklin out to be.

[ July 06, 2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: TexasSky ]

15. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Apparently though, no one bothered to read it. Or having read it, decided to ignore it."

I read it; I have read multiple versions of it.

"No, he does not say, 'Jesus Christ,' but he DOES speak of how God and God alone got this country where it was at that time, He DOES quote Christ, He DOES say that we, as a nation, need to turn to God for guideance, ..."

His quotation of Christ (which I admit I missed on the first read-through) consists of "And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without his aid?"

" ... and it is a historical fact that it was the intention of his parents to make him a protestant Christian minister as a child."

And Stalin's mother sent him to seminary to train for the priesthood. Neither here nor there.

"Now, maybe I AM wrong, but seems to me that a man raised with the intent of going into the clergy (that IS in the autobiograhy), who admits, later in life, that he went astray, but who says that as he gots older he realized that God is in control, and in admitting that encourages men to follow God, while quoting Christ is most likely a man who has turned to Christ, and who urges Congress to start their sessions with prayer is not likely to be the athiest/agnostic/diest people try to paint him out to be."

There is some truth to that, especially the latter part, though I think "is most likely a man who has turned to Christ" goes far beyond the evidence. If you read his autobiography, you will see his plan for a syncretic religion based on good works. And Franklin thoroughly believed in good works; he was ever suspicious of religion that produced piety and not charity.

"Of course, I do realize that in this day and age, encouraging men to follow God, quoting Christ, giving God credit for good, and urging prayer to God means nothing in the eyes of people who want to scream, 'You aren't a Christian,' but even those people have to admit, it isn't the athiest, 'god-mocker' that people try to make Franklin out to be."

I'm not sure who you are talking to. I wouldn't call Franklin an atheist or a god-mocker, but neither can he be enlisted as a Christian fundamentalist. This is about balance with the historical record. It is just as unfair to paint the Founders as a congregation of evangelical Christians as it is to consider them all deists and atheists.

16. The Carpinator

The Carpinator New Member

Wow...the slamming of our founding fathers has finally crept into the church also.

17. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where?

18. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

RSR,

There is only one authentic version of Franklin's final speech or of his autobigoraphy.

At 81 years of age the man called the nation back to God. I'm sorry if that isn't "good enough" for you.

May you, in your old age, after you've changed the world for all time at the risk of life and limb, be judged as strongly and rudely by history and by men of God as you judge others.

19. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

The Caprinator,

Yes, in recent years it has been very popular for people to "rewrite" history. I have watched this with great sorrow over the years.

Men who knew the founding fathers of the church, men who knew the founding fathers of our nation, men who lived just generations after their deaths wrote their accounts of these great men and those were passed down for, depending on whom we speak of, hundreds of years, or decades. Then in the 1980's people started going, "Oh, that's not true!"

I keep wondering, how does someone in 1980 or 1990 or 2000 disprove the eye wittness accounts of someone back in the 1700's?

It came to me that they always do this by providing "one manuscript" that someone else wrote. Its always someone that no one ever heard about before, or someone who is a rabid enemy of the person being discussed.

They use this to trash the life of the great men who we once used as leaders to our children, and they claim they do this for the sake of our children, but in doing so, they leave our children with the feeling that no one should be used as an example, that historians cannot be trusted, that school's lie to them, that great men are really just despots.

Then they wonder why children have no respect for anyone.

No one ever said that any of the founding fathers of our nation was perfect. Not even their highest praisers of their day.

However - they were, without a doubt, better men, as patriots and in most cases, better men of God than the people who try so hard to trash their reputations.

I spent 37 years of my life being taught that Franklin and Washington were Christians. I've only seen, in the last 10 years, this contention that they are not. I ask people 70 or 80 years of age, they say all of their life, they were taught good things about these men.

Apparently, America's education now comes from the same people that provide us with "SouthPark," "The Bachelor," "Domestic Housewives," and other "quality" programming. Apparently America's youth don't go back to the sources and question for themselves.

When I started hearing that these men were not men of God, I did something that really isn't that hard to do. I started looking up who said they were, vs who said they weren't, then looking at the material they referenced. I worked my back until I landed at readable photostatic copies of Washington's diaries, and to the Library of Congress itself.

I don't, and never will, rely on the Internet for important information. Anyone, absolutely anyone, can build a website, claim it is a quality source of information, and put up total garbage. There are no editors, no proof-readers, no research teams verifying 99% of it.

Wickipedia is proof of the kind of education modern young people get. Its a pity too. When my own children tell me that their reports can come straight off the web, I march them down to the library instead.

RSR - Let me ask you something. Who is more likely to have created "great lies"? A man like Mason Weems was a Presbyterian Minister? Or a modern day agnostic trying to disprove the greatness of General Washington? It is a historical fact that Washington attended church all the time. When his step-daughter was asked what his beliefs were, she said she couldn't recall him ever mentioning Christ to her. I'm not at all surprised. That was a very different day and age, and the relationships between step-fathers and daughters was quite different. However - it doesn't change the fact that many people from Washington's time call him a Christian. Nor is there any evidence he felt otherwise. As to Washington's daughter not recalling. One of the fineset men of God I ever knew used to spend hours and hours talking to the young children in the family about how important faith in Jesus Christ was. Later, at his funeral, his daughter shared that she was stunned to hear so many people speak of her father's testimony. She said he had never talked to her about God. Her siblings quickly corrected her, saying, "He talked about it every day. You just didn't listen. You threw it out with everything else he tried to teach you in those days."

As for me. I will stand firm on the belief that men who, after having had homes destroyed, relatives turn against them, relatives and friends murdered, entire armies hunting them down with murderous intent who could look to God, and thank Him for His guideance, and call the nation to prayer to Him each morning as better men of God that 99% of modern Americans who have everything handed to them easily, without risk or danger, or in many cases even earning it, who do NOT thank God, and who bend over backwards to try to make sure none of the rest of the nation does either.

20. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

One other thing to those of you who want to keep God out of the government.

Can you show me any nation in the bible which did NOT suffer after they threw God out of the ruling house?