1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "Only God can save and He has chosen to save those that believe in His son."

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by AustinC, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Silverhair

Silverhair Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amazing how you always claim to have dealt with what is posted but you never deal with what is posted.

Point out what verses you think support your view. Saying read chapters XYZ does not help you. But it does show that you are unable to support your view with clear scripture. You have been asked to proved scripture and you use a shotgun approach in the vain hope you might hit something that looks good.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, when a person is regenerated (born again) that person is saved. That means an unbeliever is saved even though he does not believe.

That is not Scriptural.

I appreciate you seeking some commonality. I would like to see that too, but Calvinists will never give up their cherished TULIP theology, and I personally am unable to give up what I read in my King James Bible. I can love the Calvinists, I can respect them, but I cannot agree with them when they teach (as I was raised) that faith (belief) is not necessary--God saves you apart from faith, apart from belief, and then somewhere down the line, even many years later, you end up believing.

"By grace are ye saved, through faith..." "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved..." "I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins",

There's a big reason I really dislike Calvinist/non-Calvinist discussions. It divides Christians, AND it's gone on for over 500 years and settled NOTHING, and if the Lord tarries, it will go on for 5000 years and still settle nothing. There is NO PROFIT in it, and we are warned against it in Paul's epistles. What we NEED TO BE DOING is preaching Scripture exactly as written, for e.g., Acts 2:21, Acts 10:43, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16, Ephesians 2:8-10, etc., and do not try to explain away with all those secret gnostic-type additions from Augustine and Calvin and Sproul and Washer. Just preach the Bible as written, not as "interpreted to mean such-and-such". THEN, when we arrive in Heaven, if God wants to tell us those I just listed were on the ball, fine, we'll say, "Well Lord, I just preached it exactly as You wrote it", and proceed on into eternity.

I'd rather do that than Him to tell me, "You guys argued for 500 years among each other instead of preaching the Gospel to the lost." God's Word doesn't return void but accomplishes what it was sent for. It either:

1. Convicts and converts the heathen, pagans, atheists, everyday common sinners,

OR

2. it condemns them because they heard the Word of God and rejected it.

But if we spend another 500 years arguing, "...how shall they hear without a preacher?"

3. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In practice there really is a lot of common ground. I'm most familiar with the world of Reformed Baptist churches and if you look on their websites they almost never mention the TULIP and don't usually go further than saying salvation if all of grace, if they even say that. You mention Paul Washer. I've got his e-book "Ten Inditements Against the Modern Church". In reading that I don't see anything that pushes the TULIP or the idea that you don't have to come to Christ by faith. He does knock "the Sinner's prayer" maybe more than I would and he is definitely against the idea of the perpetual "Carnal Christian". But Washer seems to have a high regard for Wesley and groups like the Moravians.

As far as missionary work, the Calvinists are well represented historically, maybe more than anyone else. Almost all the great missionary societies and movements were Calvinist in origin. Among locals, the Reformed Baptists I know of put a high priority on missions and individual sharing of the gospel. I do think the IFB's do well there too though.

You know, on a theology discussion board we go back and forth. I learn stuff and think it's useful but I hope none of us run around our churches arguing this all the time. We would end up like "Talkative" in Pilgrim's Progress. He was a mess.

4. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I've done this on multiple threads, Sliverhair. If you are incapable of recalling our many conversations, then that is on you.
    Since you've become so callous to God's Sovereignty, I simply use emoji's with you.

5. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still run to the same arguments don't you? If what you said was biblical then we would not be disagreeing now would we. Your view of scripture does not comport with scripture so I point out your error.

6. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dave, I have never heard of an IFB church that is Calvinist.

8. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    *John 14:6*
    Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

*John 10:14-16,25-29*
    I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep. And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father’s name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me,is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.

*Matthew 1:21*
    She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.”

*Acts 13:48*
    And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

All glory, honor, and praise be unto our eternal King who has Sovereignly appointed His children unto salvation. Not one will perish whom the Father has given to my Redeemer/King who was anointed from before the foundation of the world to save His appointed people from their sins.

Those who desire to glory in their choice will stand before the King to explain themselves and tell the King about their great choices. I will fall at the Kings feet and be in awe that he chose a wretch like me.

9. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin I do not disagree with those verses, what I disagree with is your view of what those verses means. You look at everything through your deterministic lens which is not a biblical view. You keep saying God is sovereign so why do you not want to allow Him to be. To say that God can not allow for true free will is to deny God is sovereign. Do you not understand that? God has chosen to save those that freely trust in His son but you keep saying that would make faith a work even what the Holy Spirit through Paul has told you it is not a work. Why do you keep denying scripture?

Here are some of the verses you openly deny
    Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone.

1Jn 2:2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

1Ti 4:10 For to this end we both labor and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe.

1Ti 2:5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
    1Ti 2:6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

1Ti 2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,
    1Ti 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Rom 5:6 For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
    Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.
    Rom 5:8 But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    Rom 5:9 Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
    Rom 5:10 For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Joh 12:32 And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all peoples to Myself."

Austin you do not need to trust what I say but you need to trust what the Holy Spirit has said. Are you going to continue to deny the clear truth of scripture so as to hold to your errant philosophy that stems from pagan roots?

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between the Calvinist, definition of sovereign, and my understanding of sovereign is this:

The Calvinist thinks God is controlling. My understanding is God is in control.

The Calvinist definition means we are robots and can do nothing that God doesn’t cause us to do. They don’t say it in those words, but they say that everything is predestinated, so it’s the same thing.

The definition I understand, however, makes allowance for man to exercise his will and therefore makes man responsible for his wrong choices, and means God is not responsible for man’s wrong choices. Because God is in control however, He can move any way He wants to, to affect any situation He chooses to.

God is always in control, not necessarily controlling—we have enough rope to hang ourselves—yet He never loses control. He is The Sovereign—The Master—The Boss—The Lord. And He, as The Sovereign, has determined to allow mankind the degree of leeway that suits Him. That’s because He IS sovereign. It’s His choice, His will, how much liberty to allow us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your definition is contradicted by your explanation.
    Here's what happens when God "gives you leeway."
    *Romans 1:18-32*
    For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. Claiming to be wise, they became fools, and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things. Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

If you desire a God who leaves you to yourself, then you also desire to be damned to hell, because you will NEVER choose God. You will die in your sins, fully unrepentant and feeding your narcissistic self.

That is the end result. You will NEVER choose God.

Even when God gives a person over to their sin, he uses that wickedness to bring glory to His own holiness and justice.

So, W, do you really want God to leave you to your own rope and not determine your salvation?

12. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please indicate where I said God "leaves you to yourself"? I don't recall ever saying that nor implying it in the least.

13. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    @MrW did not say we determine our salvation as only God can save. But as normal you twist what people say so that it fits your view. Not what I would call a Christian attitude there Austin.

"God is always in control, not necessarily controlling—we have enough rope to hang ourselves—yet He never loses control. He is The Sovereign—The Master—The Boss—The Lord. And He, as The Sovereign, has determined to allow mankind the degree of leeway that suits Him. That’s because He IS sovereign. It’s His choice, His will, how much liberty to allow us." MrW

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets,
    Rom 3:22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference;
    Rom 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
    Rom 3:24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,
    Rom 3:25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed,
    Rom 3:26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
    Rom 3:27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.
    Rom 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

You seem to think that man can not have a positive thought regarding Christ Jesus so that they would actually trust in Him for their salvation. The bible continues to show you that your view is wrong jet you will grab out of context verses in the attempt to support your view.

Austin for someone that keeps claiming that God is sovereign you sure do not want to let Him be sovereign.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin "thinks" he has God locked into Calvin's box.

15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope.
    God is clear in the Bible and you don't want a God who doesn't serve you.

16. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist

Already addressed in my post to MrW (err...your other self). The contradiction in the post "he" made is obvious, yet you, like "him" demand to rule , at minimum, as co-sovereigns.

A great passage, showing us that we cannot boast in our justification, which is God's gift to his chosen people.

Outside of Christ, they cannot. Every thought will be self-centered and an attempt to use God to that person's advantage. Romans 1 is very clear and Romans 3 backs it up.

The context of the whole of scripture shows us that God has no rogue molecule of which he is unaware or not appointing to it's proper place.

Sliverhair, you don't grasp God as a Sovereign Ruler over all His creation. You have a very high and prideful view of yourself and your capacity to decide to do good. You go out of your way to manipulate and twist Romans 1 as well as Romans 3, and Romans 9 so that you can glory in yourself. In short, you are a blind man trying to tell those with sight what the colors in the scene.

17. Silverhair

Faith:
    Baptist
    Austin you are actually funny. You claim God is sovereign then turn around and do not allow Him to be sovereign. You are on mixed up character. Your determinism is your downfall. You have more faith in the pagan roots of your philosophy than you do in the Holy Spirit breathed word of God.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    He never has.

“I find no fault in Him.”

You want a God in a box of your own making. I’ve got news for you. His ways and His thoughts are higher than yours, as the Heavens are above the Earth. He has no counselor.

19. MrW

MrW Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a dog. I am sovereign over my dog. He eats when I feed him; drinks when I give him water, and he lives in my backyard. He has his own bedroom (garage) and he enters it when I tell him to.

He loves to go camping. When I take him camping, I put him on a leash with a 20 foot radius, therefore he can roam at his will for a diameter of 40 feet. Do I lose my sovereignty because I give him limited freedom of choice? No, I do not.

God has everyone of us on a leash. We can go so far and no further. Our heartbeat is in His hands. With barely a thought He can bring us home, or send us to eternity with satan and his angels. God did not lose His sovereignty when He put me on a leash in this world, nor did I become sovereign over anything except what HE put under ME, according as He willed. Therefore, He always was, is, and always will be the Sovereign Lord and I have, and will always have, the liberty He chooses for me to have. "Where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is liberty."

20. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, if I had a God of my own making then I would have your God who cannot save without the permission of a human being. A God who is unable to save until I decide what I want him to do with me.
    Keep barking up that tree and you will see that as long as you force God to be less than supremely sovereign you have a God made in your image.