1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Opinion: The GOP's Short-Sighted Immigration Strategy

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I think there is an appropiate quote for this situation.

- Princess Amidala

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Those are all good suggestions. But seriously, this administration would never do any of those things, and if they did we would hear the same outrage as we're hearing now over police asking for proof of citizenship.

"Require emergency rooms to assertain US citizenship"...
    "Jail terms for landlord knowingly renting property to illegal immigrants"...

You really believe there wouldn't be the same, or even worse anger over such measures? The point is that many people don't want us to take any action, other than amnesty.

3. poodle78

poodle78 Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here you have hit the nail on the head. Make hospitals the police. Make schools the police. Make landlords the police. Make employers the police. Just don't let the police be the police.

4. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Shouldn't you be addressing Thinkingstuff on this one? They were his suggestions after all.
    See post #37

6. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Either you are intentionally being deceitful, or you have the reading comprehension of a kindergartner. Did you miss the part where Thinkingstuff wrote, "provide medical care then deportation"?? Talk about picking a choosing what you quote!

#46 matt wade, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2010
  7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The fact is when I go to a hospital the first thing they ask of me is for my ID and insurance. Its policy to do so. They want to know they will be able to be paid. So since its already a practice and its not an infringement of my citizen rights why not just call local law enforcment when they come accross illegals? I'm not suggesting they stop providing health care but once its complete have law enforcement deport them. whats so difficult about that? It treats the illegal with respect in that they are served but it also recognizes the fact that they have broken the law. When I move into a new school district and sign my kids up for school ( I actually homeschool but anyway) the school districts ask for immunization cards, birth certficates and prior school reports. Its already in practice. When they come across and illegal immigrant just call law enforcement and have them deport them. Again these things are already in place the only difference in notifying the authorities of illegal status. So the police remain the police and the institution just continue what they are already doing save they are not purposely hidding the information from authorities.

8. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My suggestions are far from as you suggest. It requires hospitals, schools continue to do what they are doing because they asertain identification information anyway with the difference that they inform authorities when they come accross an illegal. So the police remain the police and the institutions are bound to decieve law enforcement as they are required to do today. Landlords are just being held reponsible. We sue landlords that are "slumlords" and subject them to fines and jail terms do we not? Whats different with enforcing the same restrictions on landlords knowingly renting to illegals? They are breaking the law?
    each of the measures I suggest have a founding in what is already on the books and only suggest authority involvement when illegals are involved. None of it creates a new law limiting a citizens civil rights.

9. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

10. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Oh, and another thing: Now that you've pointed out where Crabby's shown intellectual dishonesty, he'll avoid that subject.

You'll get a "re-drect"--or no answer at all.

12. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

I know very little about hospital billing, but how is this any better than letting police check ID's during a routine stop, as they already do anyway? The anger would be no less among illegals and their advocates in the US. It is just as clumsy, and just as legally iffy. But I do agree that whatever legal tools are available should be used, as they have never been used effectively up to the present day.

And off-topic, I do not understand why Mexico is in the sad shape that it is. They possess large oil reserves that bring in tons of money, most of the US manufacturing has 'migrated' south, and still the Mexican government encourages people to cross the border and even prints phamplets advising on the best ways to avoid detection and arrest. They are making their problem into our problem.

13. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really. My point still stands. This would open a Pandora's Box of possible abuse. There will be major law suits if this happens. Also it is not a far fetched idea that if emergency rooms are to be held accountable that a right wing zealot emergency room worker would simply put the person they suspect of being illegal at the end of the line for treatment. At our local hospital the wait for many is 7 or more hours. This may already happening. How would you prove otherwise?

We already saw the system abused when the truck driver provided a commercial license but was detained anyway.

Would you be in favor of a national identification card? Most countries in the world have them and a citizen best not be caught not carrying their ID.
    Or how about a micro-chip being embedded under the skin. That could have your whole life history on it for authorities to check up on you? A microchip would be hard if nor impossible to duplicate for illegal use.

14. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the difference is a Leo can stop you for any reason because they suspect illegality. Where as in the normal duties you make a determination of status. big difference. Your walking to the mall and you are hispanic in a predominately white neighborhood. A police officer seeing as this is the norm can have "legal contact" and question you and require to see your papers. Where as in a hospital they assertain medical insurance. Identification, residence for billing purposes. I'm not suggesting anything is done differently save inform authorities of illegal status.

15. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    How? No one has suggested stopping teatment. Hospitals obtain all sorts of information as it is for billing. it can be determined from this information if a person is illegal. And its duty bound to notify authorities if a person has the qualifications of illegal status. Its up to LEO to verify. Hospitals must report gunshot wounds to authorities so whats the difference?

16. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, your point stands just as tall as it did before....which isn't very.

17. rbell

rbell Active Member

Totally against it.

The privacy concerns, not to mention the train wrecks with all the identity thefts--would be catastrophic.

18. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Not to mention we do not need to minimize the states in such a manner