1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Original Sin??? #1

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Winman, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winman

Winman Active Member

This argument is laughable it is so bad.

Albert Barnes correctly shows that Romans 5:14 argues against Original Sin because it says men from Adam to Moses did not sin in a similar or like way as Adam.

Your argument is that they sinned in EXACTLY the same way as Adam. You can't get any more similar than that.

Your argument is plain foolish and nobody is buying it. Give it up. You are obviously playing word games.

#41 Winman, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Can't you respond without ridicule?

Barnes is not a Greek Lexicon! Barnes is just as sinful man. The Greek term translated "similtude" is NEVER defined by ANY GREEK AUTHORITY as "exact same." I dare anyone on this forum to produce any Greek Lexicon that gives that definition. Even Barnes does not give that as an acceptable definition.

However, your WHOLE interpretation of Romans 5:12-14 hangs on this false definition.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Not really, because it is obvious you are being very stubborn and obstinate, and it is also obvious you are trying to play word games. Paul says that men from Adam to Moses DID NOT sin like Adam. Adam sinned against a direct command, men from Adam to Moses sinned against the law written on their hearts. Paul is not saying they sinned "in Adam", else they would have sinned in EXACTLY the same manner as Adam. You can't get any more similar than exact.

And again, if Paul were trying to prove Original Sin in Romans 5:14 as you suggest, then it would apply to ALL MEN, not men from Adam to Moses only.

You are just being stubborn and trying to wrest scripture, it won't work, and nobody with a lick of common sense is going to buy your fallacious argument.

It is you that is playing with the word similitude, give it up man, you are being pathetic.

Barnes simply interpreted this passage honestly. And I am sure he understood the definition of similitude better than you.

Again, Dr. MacGorman says that any interpretation of Romans 5:12-21 that contradicts Romans 1:18-3:20 cannot be correct. In these scriptures Paul repeatedly shows men die for personal sin and not Adam. Adam is not mentioned once.

It was Augustine with a flawed Latin text that misinterpreted Romans 5, and many still are deceived by this serious error to this day.

4. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Arminians (Wiman, Van, Rev) allowed to get away this kind of degradation of others on this forum but if I or another Calvnistic person use any language similar then we are called "unchristian" and given warnings. Where is the Squire? Where is Skandelon? Where are those forum police?

I am accused of playing "word games" when it is Winman demanding a definition that no Greek Lexicon known to man will confirm. Even Barnes will not support the definition of "exact same" and yet Winman's whole interpretation is dependent upon that.

Neithe will Winman's interpretation explain the death of infants but the interpretation of "likeness" in the sense of WILLFL sin does explain the death of infants in a way that perfectly fits the repeated "by one man" from verse 12 through verse 19.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

This is pure baloney, show where I have even once in this thread debated about the definition of the word "similitude". You can't do it, because I have not debated over it's definition. Similitude simply means similar, or in like manner.

If a man is guilty of Original Sin, then he has sinned in the similitude of Adam. He has sinned in a similar manner as Adam. In fact, he has sinned EXACTLY like Adam if men are guilty of Original Sin.

Romans 5:14 says men from Adam to Moses DID NOT sin in a similar manner as Adam. Therefore, they could not have committed Original Sin. Romans 5:14 utterly refutes that all men sinned in Adam's loins when he sinned. They did not sin in the same manner or likeness of Adam.

Men from Adam to Moses committed all sorts of sins. They lied, they stole, they murdered, they committed adultery. But one thing they did not do is eat from the tree of knowledge, and they did not sin against a direct command given from God as Adam did. This is what Romans 5:14 is saying.

So why did they die? Because they sinned against the law written on their heart, just as Paul explained in Romans chapter 2.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Sin brought in both physical and spiritual dearh, Brother Wes. When they sinned, God drove them from the Garden, and the Tree of Life, lest they eat and live forever. When they ate, they ushered in death for us all...we suffer death due to their rebellion...

Exactly. Yet he brought death to all of us through no fault of our own. We suffer the consequences of their wickedness.

No disagreement here, Brother Wes. :thumbs:

No disagreement here,either. :thumbs:

Sin brought death, period, Brother Wes. Unless they had sinned,nothing would have stopped them from the Tree of Life. They would have never died because sin brings death.

Again, sin brought both physical and spiritual death......

You're taking the dispensational approach to this, whereas I am an amill, but this is a wee bit above my paygrade. Revelation is a very deep book, and I can't swim...LOL

But I have tended to see this as more of a reference to Jesus, than anything else...

The Tree of Life is a symbol of Jesus and after they sinned, all mankind was cutoff from access to that Tree. That's why we're born with a sinful nature. We were born w/o access to it.

I have given the best detailed response I can. Blessings....

7. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

I'm very sorry, but I don't understand how this response answered my question. Could you try again? I'd really like to know.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

One correction, Brother Wes...God did that to the Tree of Life and not the Tree of Knowledge...

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Sin itself did not cause their physical death, because they could have eaten the tree of life and lived forever as sinners. Isn't that what the scripture says?

They and we die as a consequence of sin because man was sent out of the garden. That is actually a blessing, as physical death is man's greatest incentive to come to God.

We physically die because of Adam's sin, we spiritually die for our own sin.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Paul was spiritually alive until he learned the law. When he learned the law he was convicted as a sinner and spiritually died. He did not spiritually die because of Adam, he died for his own sin. He was not born dead in sin, and he did not spiritually die because of Adam's sin.

Yes, sin caused their spiritual death that day. They did not physically die until over 900 years later.

Correct, they could have lived forever as sinners. If sin causes physical death, then eating the tree of life would not have helped them.

Sin brings spiritual death.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

Romans 9:11 shows that babies have not sinned in the womb. Do babies physically die? YES. Therefore sin does not cause physical death.

We die physically as a consequence of sin. It is like a drunk bus driver driving off a cliff, all his passengers die as a consequence of his sin, but they did not participate in his sin and are not guilty of his sin.

Well, Revelation says the leaves of the tree are for healing. What is dispensational about that? Many medicines are made from leaves.

Well, I agree, we will have to wait until we fully understand these things. But Revelation does suggest that the leaves of the tree of life have physical healing powers. Perhaps they prevent aging and disease??

Eating the tree of life would not give you a good nature, that is why God chased Adam and Eve out of the garden. It would prevent you from physically dying.

It was the innocent animal that was slain to make coats that covered them that was a figure of Jesus.

Thank you, this was a good post for me too. :thumbs:

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Wes, you posted this:

Howso? Once they sinned, they were procluded from the Tree of Life. The one source of eternal life was taken from them.

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

God himself said that if they ate of the tree of life they would live forever. So sin would not have caused their physical death. God had to send them out of the garden to cause their physical death.

If sin causes physical death, then eating the tree of life would be useless to save them, they would die anyway. Isn't that true?

And again, Romans 9:11 shows babies have not sinned in the womb.

Rom 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth; )

Paul said Jacob and Esau had done no evil in their mother's womb. This shows babies are not sinners. Do babies die in the womb? Yes, millions, if not billions of babies have died in the womb. Sin did not cause their physical death, Paul shows babies have not sinned.

And Paul refutes Original Sin as well. If Jacob and Esau were in Adam's loins and sinned in the garden when Adam sinned, then it would be error to say they had done no evil in Romans 9:11, but that is exactly what Paul says.

You will get folks that say Levi paid tithes to Melchisedec in Abraham's loins to prove Original Sin.

Heb 7:9 And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham.
    10 For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.

This verse is not actually teaching that Levi was in Abraham's loins and literally paid tithes to Melchisedec. If so, this would prove that not only are we guilty of Adam's first sin, but EVERY sin he committed, and EVERY SIN of all of our grandfathers up until our father. We would literally be guilty of millions of sins our ancestors committed.

No, the writer of Hebrews is just showing the superior priesthood of Jesus, as he was in the order of Melchisedec. Levi was a son or descendant of Abraham. The father is superior to the son. So when Abraham paid tithes to Melchisedec, it proved Melchisedec and Jesus were superior to the priesthood of Levi. That is all this scripture is teaching, it is not teaching that we all sinned or even did good things in our father's loins. This scripture does not support Original Sin whatsoever.

But... if we actually do commit real sin in our father's loins when they sin, then Paul could not have said that Jacob and Esau had done no evil.

So, Romans 9:11 utterly refutes Original Sin and that we all sinned with Adam.

#51 Winman, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  12. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Romans 5:12-21 does not obscure or refute the plain teaching of Romans 1:18 to 3:20. Rather Romans 5:12-21 simply gives us the root cause of the behavior of those described in Romans 1:18-3:21!

13. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Brother Wes, their sin caused God to "toss" them outta the Garden, and subsequently, access to the Tree of Life. If they had not have sinned, they would have lived forever, having nothing from procluding them access to it.

14. Winman

Winman Active Member

I understand, but sin does not directly cause physical death. It was because Adam and Eve were chased out of the garden that they died 900 years later.

Again, babies have not sinned, Paul directly tells you this in Romans 9:11. But millions of babies physically die. Therefore sin did not cause their physical death.

They die as a consequence of Adam's sin, just as an innocent person might die as the result or consequence of a drunk driver.

If sin caused physical death, eating from the tree of life would not prevent you from physically dying.

Why can't you understand that?

15. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is my teacher, whether i listen to him or not.

16. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Adam's sin put himself and all mankind at enmity with God. We were born in the same "separated from God" state, and He, in His graciousness, chose to redeem us by having Jesus die for us. Without their rebellion in the Garden, death would not be here to this day . They were in communion with God, and no one can die in communion with Him through His Son...

17. OldRegular

Scripture disagrees with you!

Romans 5:12. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Again, read this chapter carefully and it is obvious Romans 5 is speaking of spiritual death, not physical. Look at all the terms used;

Sinners, reconciled, enemies, atonement, condemnation, judgment, transgression, offense, grace, gift, righteousness, grace, justification, free gift, etc...

These are all legal terms. Romans 5 is not speaking of physical death.

Now go to 1 Corinthians chapter 15 and you will see it is speaking of physical death, it speaks about the body and corruption, being buried, being sowed, being raised, flesh of men, beasts, fishes, and birds, etc... These are terms about the physical body and physical death.

So Romans 5 is not teaching that babies die because Adam's sin passed on them as Augustine falsely interpreted from a KNOWN flawed Latin text (see the OP).

19. OldRegular

So how does one who is spiritually dead respond to spiritual things unless he first be made spiritually alive?

20. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

That's a very good question to ask. God has to quicken the spiritually dead first, and then they can respond...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.