1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our 'auto'-biographies

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Alcott, May 5, 2006.

?
  1. 40 or more

48.6%
  2. 30-39

32.4%
  3. 20-29

10.8%
  4. 10-19

5.4%
  5. 5-9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 3-5

2.7%
  7. 1-2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Less than 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Never been a driver—it’s just a skill I don’t have

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Never been a driver—was just never in position or never had access

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Never been a driver—not old enough or haven’t had training yet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A comprehensive poll about you and your automobile(s) [vehicles of 4 or more wheels designed for street use].

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

My primary car is a sports car, so I put compact/economy. It is compact, but it only gets 14 MPG.

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cannot see the logic in owning a compact car that is expensive to buy and expensive to operate. In regard to thrift or style, I always go with the former.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

Can someone please translate the licence types in question 2 into something resembling Australian? [​IMG]

Generally I can understand American, but this time you got me :eek: [​IMG]

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry I never took Australian in school, unless you count learning the words in Waltzing Matilda in the 4th grade.

Operator-- standard license for a private vehicle; cannot carry loads or specialized equipement for profit-making venture or comparable government work

Commercial-- required to carry loads or specialized equipement for profit-making venture or government work [e.g., driving a commercial truck or cement mixer]

Chauffeur-- required to transport persons for profit (or on government-funded vehicles for public transport) [e.g., driving a bus or limousine]

Student-- driver who has passed a certain level in driver's education, but not yet passed a driving test for license; must have a licensed driver, with experience dictated by state, in accompaniment in front seat [also called "learner's permit" or "beginner's license", depending on state]

6. Pete

Pete New Member

Ah, gotchya, thanks Alcott [​IMG]

Yeah mate, learning Waltzing Matilda is great start! You'll be fair dinkum Aussie in no time if keep that up ;)

1: About 20 years or so

2: Might be easier to ask what I don't have ;) I am licenced to drive things like THIS, and THIS (including passengers), I can operate THIS, and last and LEAST HERE is the taxi I drive (with number plate adjusted to that of the General Lee (for those who would have missed it...)) Sometimes I almost sound like a professional driver huh? ;) So call that Commercial & Chauffeur I guess [​IMG]

3: Full-size car for full-size bloke

4: Cost, engine size, manual ONLY, aircon.

5: Probably more than 50,000

6: 20-25

7: Comp

8: I wouldn't want the company, but don't charge mates anyway ;)

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

A bus license is different than a chauffeur license. A bus license is a bus endorsement and a passenger endorsement on the commmercial license.

But, my sports car was intended just to be a toy, but it has turned into my main means of transportation, thanks to the dubious quality of GM products.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I had to pick "does not apply" on the mileage thing because I don't know how many miles per gallon I get.

9. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's quite foreign to me; I can't imagine not knowing what my vehicle is costing me to operate. But then I am a 'numbers guy,' with a degree in statistics, and I make many 'strange' decisions based on my numerical analyses of many things people don't seem to want to consider that way. Anyway, my Hyundai Accent averages 31.7 miles per gallon; on a trip from Texas to Montana last August I averaged 36.9, which shows the economic disadvantage of driving 'around town' with stop signs and signals, and usually not killing the engine when stopped at ATM's or drivethru's.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

My 4Runner, which always got 14-16 MPG, suddenly got 22 MPG last summer for a few tanks of gas. All of them were loaded with extra people and extra equipment. It was bizarre to me that the gas mileage would increase for the first time in over 300,000 miles, and it would be when it was under extra load. It's now dead.

11. billreber

billreber New Member

Hope of Glory, it sounds strange, but as a professional driver, I have found the same thing.

I am a delivery driver for an auto parts company, and have found that my delivery truck operates better (more efficiently) with a load than without one. It seems to be DESIGNED for a heavier load. I average about 20 mpg without a load, and about 22 mpg with one. Amazing!

BTW, on the survey, I marked my PERSONAL vehicle. I drive about 30,000 miles per year at work (120 miles per day on city streets, 5 days a week, 50 weeks per year--vacation the other two).

Bill

12. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If there is a surprising result in the poll so far, I think it's that more say they carry comprehensive coverage on their vehicles than carry liability coverage. Are there more states than I realized that do not require proof of liability coverage to have the vehice registered or inspected? I'm not saying I'm in favor of the required liability coverage, because that's where the insurance companies have made the government their servants for huge profits. Perhaps some get liability coverage then cancel it as soon as the registration and inspection is paid up for year? I've heard of that. And what do Canada, Australia, and other countries/states/provinces require in the insurance topic?

13. Petrel

Petrel New Member

I'm not sure what the law is in other states, but here if you're caught driving without liability insurance you'll be arrested.

I think some people might have confused comprehensive with "all of the above."

14. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Some states will come out and investigate when the insurance company notifies them that you cancelled your insurance.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't we wish McDonald's could send a state investigator out to check if we stop buying Big Macs?