1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Our history from the 1880s Onward

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Squire Robertsson, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "[Spurgeon] was a major influence in starting the Baptist Union in England"

Huh?

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Eastern is. . .perhaps best noted for [being?] the Seminary where Martin Luther King graduated"

Nope.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The time period is correct as the BBU went through a couple of reorganizations, wiki lists a BBU start date as 1891. Though, the DC started in 1887.

4. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    He graduated from Crozer. Another NBC school, lost in the flood of modernism by the time he got there.

#24 Squire Robertsson, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First hand account from the 1920 Fundamentalist Fellowship and Northern Baptist Convention meetings:

Report from Baptist Pastor Mae Eleanor Frey:

http://ifphc.org/DigitalPublication...Evangel/Unregistered/1920/FPHC/1920_07_10.pdf [p. 5]

"I am up here in Buffalo attending the Northern Baptist convention, and we are having a terrible time. It is easy to see that a split in the denomination is pending. Hundreds of ministers and laymen from all over the U. S. A. are here for the purpose of protesting against the Inter-Church World-Wide Movement. They are also demanding that our colleges and schools clean out the rot of the false doctrine and all that undermines the fundamentals of God's Word. They are insisting that they get rid of all professors and teachers who are not sound in doctrine. At a meeting attended by thousands last night, Cortland Myers, of the Tremont Temple, Boston, said this: "We serve notice on you fellows from the Pacific to the Atlantic coast, that we are not going to stand this thing any longer. You have got to get rid of your Inter-Church and World-Wide programme; your board of Promotion and some of your preachers and missionaries who are giving out anything but God's truth and you must call in that Baptist paper, or we will draw out. We believe that Jesus Christ is coming and He may come tonight."
    . . . . .
    There is a terrible fight on. The Inter-Church Baptists are so mad and the strife between the two factions is the worst I ever saw: but it had to come, and may be for the best.
    We have had a wonderful convention. It was glorious the way God moved. The big denomination is now divided into two factions, called by outsiders, "The Conservatives" and the "Liberals." The real truth is the so-called Conservatives are the men and women who stand for the Blessed Word of God and who are looking for the Coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.
    . . . . .
    You could hardly believe how shamefully some of these ministers acted. But to the glory of Jesus, let me say, the men and women who were contending for the faith manifested the sweet Spirit of Jesus.
    For a while God just held things in that convention and many a victory was won. We voted out the Inter-Church Movement. We buried the "Baptist," the liberal paper supposed to set forth Baptist principles; carried the vote to clean up the theological schools; let down all the bars to women, giving them a fair chance to preach the Gospel if they were called. But, the big board of Promotion that started the World-Wide Movement, we could not dispose of.
    . . . . .
    Glory to God, it was just wonderful. Hundreds of Godly pastors who stand for the Word and are looking for the Coming of Jesus have taken a clear-cut stand. Amen!
    Dr. Riley, A. C. Dixon, Massie and others spent one whole night on their knees praying over this."

6. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, an interesting account.

7. Don Johnson

Don Johnson New Member

Hi to all

I am the editor of Proclaim & Defend, just wanted to clarify a couple of points. First, on Dave Sproul - I believe that he is the uncle, not the father of Mike Sproul.

As to errors of fact as pointed out by one of the posters above. I realize there were some details that were incorrect. The articles are the fruit of a transcription of remarks made by bro. Sproul at a workshop during the recent annual meeting of the FBFI in Phoenix, AZ. I was faced with a choice of editing the details or letting the transcript come out verbatim from bro. Sproul's presentation. I decided that I would probably only add to confusion by trying to correct any misstatements (and inevitably missing some), so I let it stand as we received it. But I did give it a subtitle "A popular perspective of movements shaping fundamentalism" as opposed to "A scholarly perspective..." Perhaps a bit of a dodge to cover my decision, but that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

8. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is the articles don't explicitly state they are "unedited" transcripts rather than essays Brother Sproulk sat down and wrote out.

9. Don Johnson

Don Johnson New Member

Good point

I'll go back and correct that.

May not be able to do it until after Sunday is over though.

Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

10. Don Johnson

Don Johnson New Member

Ok, have gone in and changed the headers as well as corrected details that Jerome pointed out. I appreciate the corrections. I realize that we are open to criticism when errors like this are published but we simply don't have the resources to fact check details of this nature. Glad to have stumbled across this thread where these points could be made and we could respond.

Maranatha!
    Don Johnson
    Jer 33.3

11. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    New heading

A popular perspective of movements shaping fundamentalism from 1880s to the 1920s, being a lightly edited transcript of a series of lectures given for the Adult Bible Fellowship of Tri-Cities Baptist Church during the spring of 2012