1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Our witness before others

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by gb93433, Aug 29, 2003.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I have been having an ongoing dialog with a young man who is 25. His dad is a well known lawyer in the area where I live. He is a good student of literature and its interpretation.

The past two days he told me how he has been to a number of churches in the area and how a number of the pastors do not know how to interpret in light of historical context and do not understand literary genre. He named some names and I had to agree. From what I know of those same pastors they have one message "Believe what I tell you and don't ask questions." I was amazed that he had picked up on some significant deficiencies among some pastors.

The point I am making is that we cannot stop learning and don't ever think that someone who is not a Christian does not have some knowledge. We have an excellent relationshp and I am able to use what I have learned about the subject to gently draw him closer to Christ. He is a very intellegent young man. We should never think that we can preach ignorance and nobody will notice. This man certainly has. The ignorance of some has caused him to shy away from church and Christians.

Another thing he told me was how in high schol that a number of the Christian students from certain churches would not make an effort to associate with the other students. He told me that those students were taught that the other students were somehow evil.

I can remember someone telling me that if that's al the strength you have in Christ it isn't much.

2. Loren B

Loren B New Member

Too many in the ministry have been instructed that the only book that they ever need is the Bible and that the study of anything else is unnecessary - that includes any historical, literary, or cultural things that have direct bearing upon the Biblical writings. In accepting this philosophy they not only shortchange themselves but project an image of ignorance throughout their community.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very few of our Baptist Bible Colleges truly train young men and women for a real ministry. They train them to micmic and ape great preachers of the present or past, but when faced with questions of apologetics, psychology, history, or even good English grammar (to say nothing of languages and hermeneutics) they are adrift.

Thankfully there are a few good schools. Rare atmosphere for its graduates. I have never regretted choosing wisely.

4. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I am fortunate that one of the first 2 required courses for my program through seminary extension is Biblical backgrounds, and the other is how to understand the Bible. The first presents the social, political, geographic and economic dynamics of the Biblical region through Biblical times. The second emphasizes the importance of interpreting through these and the Biblical context. My pastors, who are mentoring me, always ask me the societal contexts of the scripture passages I am studying, and if I cannot intelligently discuss this element, then they tell me to go fully study the passage.
    Again it all rolls back to good mentoring. That was the way it was done in the Old Testament, and the way Jesus did it. Paul mentored a few men also. Book learning helps, but the individual guidance of an experienced man is a great benefit.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

All excellent points! May God give all of us a passion for study and to learn all we can about Him and His marvelous creation!

6. David Ekstrom

David Ekstrom New Member

This is an excellent thread.
    BTW, I found a really neat resource to help the pastor gain general knowledge. It's called "The Teaching Company." Here's what it is. They get ivy league professors who are recognized as great teachers to give a series of introductory level lectures on their subjects of expertise. I have gone through several courses. The courses I chose were heavy on philosophy because I'm weak in that area. But there is a wide range of courses available.
    None of these courses required prior knowledge of the subject. Each lecture lasts 1/2 hour, which is great because I watch while working out. They are not only informative but enjoyable.
    Check out The Teaching Company, 1-800-832-2412, www.teach12.com.