1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Outside Your Tradition

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Rhetorician, Jul 13, 2006.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Rhet.

I've been meaning to post here, and I see no one has posted for several days, so maybe my post can jumpstart it. :smilewinkgrin: I'm not sure my experience is what you meant, but I'll give it a try.

Two of the best years of my life were doing full time Japanese study at the Tokyo School of the Japanese Language, the oldest and most prestigious language school in Japan. They were also two of the most difficult, since it was 2 hours one way down into Tokyo from where we lived, including riding the hub train at Japanese rush hour--crammed in so tight we could literally hardly move!

At the language school I got to know some SBC missionaries and enjoyed their fellowship--even teamed up in ping pong with the SBC token liberal! :eek: I also teamed up with a colonel in the Thai army and others. One Chinese expert ping pong player even took me down to a ping pong store and helped me buy a custom paddle--of course he could whip me 21 to 0. But I digress.

There were some great opportunities for witness too. I gave Chinese Bibles or tracts to Chinese from Taiwan, the People's Republic, Hong Kong and Singapore. I gave a Thai tract to the colonel, but he returned it--corrected!

Most of all, I got a great foundation in this language which has lasted me for 23 years after graduation. I also discovered a talent (God's gift, of course) for languages which I didn't know I had. This talent, having been developed at the language school, has helped me write Japanese tracts, books, textbooks, outline sets and now in the translation of a new Japanese NT.

God bless and good night from Japan. :sleeping_2:

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know it! We in the SBC are so liberal we are on....

[​IMG]

:D

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been very interested in recent trends in SBC missions. The liberal I mentioned (and his ordained wife) are now no longer with the board, for reasons I'm sure you are aware of.:type:

4. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BFM 2000, I assume? I was just joking around anyhow. :)

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep.

Gotcha--liberally on fire for Christ!

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "liberally on fire for Christ" --I like that!