1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Overuse of stories?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by UnchartedSpirit, Mar 30, 2006.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I think I am just mismatching, but are some radio teachers copying over certain life stories? I'm sure I heard at least two teachers talk about the one time they went up to preach, and then they announce that they have nothing to say that's from God, then some grumpy old lady congragulates them for it. I think there were others also about a dog falling into a snake's den and getting bitten three times...did anyone else catch these?

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I cannot comment on these incidents in particular, but plagiarism has long plagued the practice of preaching. We just cannot resist the temptation to tell a good story and put ourselves into it. Once discovered, however, a preacher who does this puts much of his message under suspicion.

3. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Yeah, but this was in the arena of Chip Engrim, Alistar Begg, R.C. Sproul, can we put suspicion over them?

4. bapmom

bapmom New Member

There are actually books of illustrations out with stories like this specifically published for preachers to use. You might be hearing the preacher tell one of these stories, and it could be the case that you are assuming it is about their own life when they did not in fact specifically say that. Otherwise, I don't know.....haven't heard the ones you mentioned.

5. Rachel

Rachel New Member

When I hear Pastors tell stories they usually say I heard this or something like that. If it's about their life they usually say so.

6. mioque

mioque New Member

The most overused device by preachers here in the Netherlands is:
    This letter they've just received from this wise old woman, containing some insights that happen to perfectly fill the hole in their latest sermon.

I've heard/read of its use by both the most extreme conservatives and the most strident liberals.

Its use actually caused a small political scandal when ds. Kersten (no relation honest) tried to use it when he adressed the Dutch parliament somewhere in the twenties.

There never actually is such a letter.