1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Painted Lady or White Elephant?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Jeff Weaver, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Hi folks

I don't think this has been discussed on the board before. ;) (Might be wrong though). My wife and I bought a large old house two years ago, and settled on it exactly two years ago today. At any rate, we have repaired the interior, and made a comfortable home with it. Now, the question -- what would you prefer for the exterior -- a painted lady or a white elephant. (For those that might not know, a white elephant is a large house painted in all white -- typical in most of the country -- a painted lady is a house painted in such a way that the architectural detail stands out.)

Here is a description and some pics of our old house. Tell me what color scheme you think we should use? I might not take the advice, but I am curious about what you might suggest.

Jeff.

2. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you Jeff for the fascinating house pics. I have never had the priv. to see inside an American house of regular folks and I found it very insightful.

Firstly, congratulations on the work thus far and no I am not gonna add my 2 cents worth because I would make way too many errors on like quality of light, styles etc. Personally I prefer the idea of highlighting rather than a white wash.

I had no idea the differences between America and Australia could be so evident in house styles. The exterior having no eaves to protect the house from sun in summer. The use of very dark colours in one bedroom is something I do not think I would see on a regular basis here, mind you this is semi tropical Queensland. However it must get hot cos you have ceiling fans (God Bless the Inventor). The layout of the bathroom was unusual to my eye not odd just different. I loved the porch area, is it big enough for you?

I hope to see the finished exterior in due course.

Best wishes [​IMG]

3. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Thanks for the comment. In our area, it can get cold in the winter and hot in the summer, so we have both extremes. We went for the dark wall paper for historical accuracy purposes as much as for comfort. Plus it keeps the room dark, so it is more conducive for sleep. [​IMG]

The porch is 6'6" x 15' (2 x 5 meters) It would be nice to be larger, but it is adequate. The house is large enough for two people and two pets, at 2700+ sqare feet (300 sqare meters).

The Ceiling fans are also historically accurate, as they were common in American houses before the rise of central air conditioning. We typically don't get hot enough to need air conditioning here. A hot day here is 85. The ceilings are also very high for most American houses, causing the hot air to rise, keeping the space occupied cooler.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jeff, you're quite the fixer-upper.

Nice house. If you're adventurous, some Queen Anne colors would be appropriate. Go for baroque.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Painted Lady, definitely.

Perhaps a golden beige (or ochre) with dark sage green trim, and solid black as the accent color (such as on the shutters).

Or, Maybe a bedium bluegrey with antigue while trim, and bright white as the accent color.

If you've got cable, I suggest a show called "Curb Appeal", which takes houses as seen from the street view and does a makeover, which is typically inexpensive.

BTW, I'm jealous. I live in a mere upstairs condo, and would kill to own a separate piece of property with which I can choose my own color. I'm relegated to the whim of the association:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Thanks for the input, fellers. The house will be 100 in 2007, so we hope to have it all fixed by then, if it will ever quit raining. The original color of the body of the house was a very dark gray, nearly black. I have a cousin in a town about 20 miles away with one painted this color, and it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Also has anyone had any experience getting a property on the National Register of Historic Places? Our county survey says we are eligible, but it isn't included yet. I hear it is a huge pain, but would like to hear from someone who has had experience with it.

Jeff.

7. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably influenced by my background - "white elephant". Most all of the old country homes around were painted all white (except for the few that were unpainted).

Don't have any experience with getting anything on the National Register. But on our recent trip, on our way to Washington, we stopped by and saw a house built by one of my wife's 4th great-grandfathers. It's on the National Register - Ailes House - it was a really neat tour (they don't do tours really, but we were invited because of my wife's connection). I still hate that I didn't stop by to see you on our way back when we went so very very close by where you were.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the look of cream/beige with dark green or teal shutters. Maybe red door as the contrasting color.