1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pardon my French

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Mar 15, 2023.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Found this elsewhere:
    In England, in the early 1800s, people would “beg pardon” for using French words in conversation. Forgiveness was requested in these instances because most people did not speak French, and furthermore, the Napoleonic Wars had left a residue of animosity between the two countries. By the mid-1800s the phrase had evolved to refer to swear words specifically. It’s worth noting that the Cambridge dictionary defines the idiom as something to be said when pretending to be sorry for offensive language."

Key word: Pretending

When someone asks "Pardon my French" - I say "no, I do not!"

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just the other day a co-worker began a conversation with “I’m gonna use a word I never use…”

I interrupted and asked him not to use it now either.

He had to continue, for some reason. He didn’t say it explicitly, but used a common euphemism for the word,

I’m reminded of the letter of James. He says, “where there are many words, transgression is inevitable”.

peace to you

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is great that you stood up for good!

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way back when, people were considerate of the beliefs of others, so you did not drop the F bomb at church. Now people spend big money to put powerful speakers in their cars, then roll down their windows, and drive around subjecting everyone nearby with their foul sounds.

We have shootings over nothings, and "getting in the face" of those who hold differing views.