1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Parental' Cheerleading

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by richard n koustas, Apr 26, 2005.

1. richard n koustas

richard n koustas New Member

Well, my oldest daughter (23) signed me up for a parent cheerleading squad (my youngest, 13, is on a competitive all-star squad) – I didn’t know that parents did this kind of stuff. :eek: I thought that it was going to be a time for us parents to goof around and embarrass the young ones...but no...the coaches are serious! We are going to compete with other parent teams in a NATIONAL competition next month. Stunting, tumbling, the works. It is physically demanding (and I am not in shape(!)), but more fun than I thought it would be.

Just curious: Anyone else on this board on (or ever been on) a parent cheerleading squad????????????? Cheerleading before you became a parent does not count ;)

2. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter is also thirteen and a cheerleader. When my son went out for soccer the athletic director asked me to be the coach. I never even played soccer before, but it was fun. The next year I was asked to coach two teams, one older than my sons team that reminded me of the “Bad News Bears’ movie. They broke even on the year which was a miracle and my younger team went undefeated winning their last game 16-0. It was all fun, but anyway thanks for the heads up, because I definitely don’t see myself as a cheerleader. Not going to happen!

Stay limber, don’t hurt yourself and good luck in the National.

3. richard n koustas

Benjamin,
    thanks. [​IMG]

at the end of one of the girl's routines, all the cheerleaders fall flat on the mat with one girl standing in the middle. it actually looks good. I told one of the coaches that he should have the parent team do the same thing at the end...and over the music should say "they've fallen and they can't get up!!!" [​IMG]

then send in the paramedics to peel us all off the floor. :D

4. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

Cheerleading is not a sport! [​IMG]

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Some of those cheerleaders are well trained gymnasts.

6. Gib

Gib Active Member

My 14 year old wants to be a cheerleaders boyfriend.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much of cheerleading itself is sexually oriented (uniform, gyrating dances, etc) and suggestive. I would hesitate to have my daughter involved in that type of activity.

8. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm, I did hesitate, but what these girls do at this level I do not find sexually suggestive. As per uniforms they have short skirts with bloomers underneath and the dancing is nothing like you see from the Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders.

I told my daughter what you said and she looked at me in shook and asked me if I thought that she would do that? Then she said to tell you, “much of what comes out of the mouth is what’s in the heart.” :eek: Sorry, but she is a teenager and btw she preaches biblical morality throughout her school and is pretty tough about it. I think maybe the cheerleading has given her confidence and helped her to speak up.

I know you said, “Much” and not “all” and, “hesitate” not “refuse” and I hope you realize what I’m up against. [​IMG]

9. richard n koustas

:eek:
    This thread started as 'parental' cheerleading -- we, the parents, are the cheerleaders.

uniform - black pants, black printed tee's
    gyrating dances - any gyrating will be because a) we don't remember where we're suppose to be b) we are dizzy, c) we lost our balance, or d) just plain exhaustion

Benjamin: [​IMG] my youngest daughter (13) is working on her double back hand spring and tuck. Her confidence has been definitely built up over the years. My oldest daughter is on the parent squad with me! I just heard that my pastor’s daughter made the varsity cheerleading at her high school.

BTW, if you ever get a chance to see parents cheer, it is very entertaining. We basket toss, stunt, tumble, dance, even put up a pyramid!

If it wasn’t for all the pain afterwards, it would actually be fun! :eek: :eek: :D

10. loving2daysyouth

loving2daysyouth New Member

I was just kidding. My wife was a college cheerleader and coach for a Christian school. I say, "Dance it up!" Nothing wrong with that as long as they are modest.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, I missed the whole concept - I thought you were helping the kids and just issuing a warning about the "problems" of modesty, et al.

Now problems from REMEMBERING you moves or actually MAKING sense out of a dance or pyramid are most definitely for a younger crowd than me!!

What were we talking about?

12. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

You all better not crack on cheerleading. It's one of my favorite sports!!!! I would loooooooove to be on a parent squad. I didn't know they had such a thing. Now if I can just find a kid to call me mom. [​IMG]

13. richard n koustas

when compared with the kids, we older folks look like we are moving in slow motion, yet, it is hard to keep up with the music!

Well ,gotta go, performance is tomorrow night!

14. musicgurl16

musicgurl16 New Member

cheerleading can be suggestive, but only if u make it that way. Also, cheerleading is definitely a sport. It is sooo much harder than it looks

15. richard n koustas

just a footnote: I visited a different baptist church in town yesterday, and spotted one of our cheereading coaches sitting in the pew behind me. he was sitting with his grandmother and his younger sister. after the meeting he explained that he was baptised in that church (about 9 years ago). came to knowthe Lord via his grandmother's witness.