1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Parents Who Spank Being Made Criminals

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Linda64, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Thank you, Rev. M. I bolded part of this for Joe's edification. Sorry Joe, for answering your last question first.

In order: The principal usually; no; no; suspension; yes.

You are showing your liberal California roots (not saying you are liberal btw, but that California is generally liberal. Spanking here, isn't nearly the issue it is there.)

Corporal punishment is used mostly in the elementary and middle schools. High Schoolers are generally not affected by three licks from the principal's paddle and are usually given inschool suspensions. (ISS is totally boring and horrible according to the hsers I know. Other than that they aren't really impressed by any of it. HSers are hard.)

See italics. School nurse would either make the call herself or if in doubt consult with the school principal. But, a child who claims to have suffered abuse but shows no signs of said abuse (bruising, welts, etc) would likely NOT get reported.

Except in the case of sexual abuse (where signs would normally be hidden) our administrators do not always take a child at his/her word. Kids get mad and lie about their parents all the time. The school isn't about to start a whole CPS investigation in the absence of any real evidence. Sexual accusations get kicked up not only to CPS but also to law enforcement and are treated very very carefully.

Okay Joe, just what about explaining what abuse is to a kid who isn't abused and has never experienced such is suspicious? Why would one not want a child to understand the implications of making a false report to CPS?

And no, I haven't have a bad experience with CPS. CPS here is very family oriented (to much so, in my opinion) to the extent that children are sometimes returned to parents who, in my opinion only, shouldn't be allowed a pet much less a child.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Corporal punishment has no business being applied to a child by ANYONE but the parent. Praise God I don't live wher you do, or else I'd have some real problems deciding how my children should be schooled. If anybody paddled my child but me...I'd be paddling them.

3. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Thing is Webdog, your kids would probably not engage in the behavior that would get them paddled at the start with. Though, you can't tell really.

One of mine had the audacity to: tell another child "I'm gonna get my dad to come beat you up" (now days they call this a terrorist threat) and in another incident call another child a vulgar name. You think in either incident I'd have complained if he'd suffered 3 licks from the principals paddle? Not one bit. Matter of fact, the principal would've had to stand in line behind ME! Kid was lucky (or really smart) that both incidents happened when the principal was out and only he had mom and dad to deal with. Though to tell you the truth, we were probably worse. First instance, Dad made kid son apologize to the other child, the teacher and the classroom for the trouble after having been spanked at home.

Second instance... :rolleyes: ..... He really lucked out as it was the last day of school (both of these happened in kindergarten no less!). I decided that spending the first day of summer by himself in his bedroom was a suitable punishment. The response? "Can't you give me a spanking instead?" :rolleyes:

No doubt he understood he deserved to be punished. He didn't even question it. He just wanted the quickest way out and really the pain of a spanking doesn't last any longer than the spanking. Have I said before that we really don't spank that often? This is one of the reasons why.

Making spanking illegal, however, simply takes power away from parents and puts it in the hands of the government. Do we really want that?

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The school has my permission to paddle my children if they act in a way that justifies it.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I would want the teacher to tell me if he or she paddled my child. Then when he got home he would get it again. Now days we have weak kneed wussified parents who won't correct their children and won't let anyone else do it either. Of course that's one reason my wife and I home school. I'm the principal and I assure you the board of education has been applied in a few cases.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then you have just given up your authority as the one who shepherds and molds your childs heart. There is no scripture that supports anybody but the parent administering corporal punishment.

#66 webdog, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would suggest some parenting skills if you feel a double punishment is called for and necessary. That is borderline abuse. Start with Shepherding a Child's Heart by Dr. Ted Tripp

Because a parent doesn't see fit to spank their children AGAIN after an outsider has does not mean that parent is "wussified".

#67 webdog, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More circular reasoning. And your statement could not be more incorrect.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I agree!:thumbs:

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so no Scripture supporting corporal punishment administered by anyone but a parent? Anybody can just say "you are incorrect".

11. sag38

sag38 Active Member

"I would suggest some parenting skills if you feel a double punishment is called for and necessary. That is borderline abuse. Start with Shepherding a Child's Heart by Dr. Ted Tripp"

So send protective services to my house. Reasoning like this is why our society is in such sad shape. I don't need Dr. Tripp. My wife and I are raising our son exactly like we were raised and its working very well, thank you.

#71 sag38, Mar 20, 2008
  12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

AHH....the "it worked for me, it will work for them" mentality, regardless if it's biblical, right, wrong...whatever :rolleyes:

He deals with this mentality in one of his chapters, btw ;)

Nowhere is my "reasoning" going against the biblical principle of using the rod. If you don't like that "reasoning"...you may want to investigate it further.

#72 webdog, Mar 20, 2008
  13. sag38

sag38 Active Member

The last time I checked Dr. Tripp nor Webdog was not found in the Bible. Perhaps it is you who needs to go back and read the Bible.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Neither is "it worked for me, it will work for them" or Sag38. Your point?

Please define where you think behavior comes from...

15. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Ok, I give up. You are so right webdog. We heathen, Biblically illiterate folks need to listen to you and Dr. Tripp. Otherwise we are abusing our children and ignoring Biblical mandates.

16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Instead of getting all bent out of shape, why not debate the point?

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no scriptual support for flushing the toilet either. I bet things are rather ripe in your house. Now if you care to avoid this circular line of reasning.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

<personal attack deleted - LE>... because some of your advice and attitude is quite puzzling. I would think a pastor should be able to back with Scripture the allowance of others outside the home in disciplining your children, considering pastors do counsel families...

#78 webdog, Mar 20, 2008
  19. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

As I say often, most young parents can tell you how to bring up a child, and most older one don't. I went through spankings at home and school when I was a child back in the 40's and 50's and never was abused.

My older two did as well( 43 or 37 years old) and my 12 year old has been spanked as well. But I don't recall needing to spank any of them after 5 ot 6. I didn't learn as fast, I must have been about 12.

As a preacher told me one time come back when your children are as old as you are and then I'll listen to you if the proof is in their lives. So I feel you bring up your children as you believe the Scriptures teach you and I'll bring up mine as I believe the Scriptures teach me.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It appears you lack the ability to carry on a conversation or debate at the adult level. And your post has been reported.

#80 Revmitchell, Mar 20, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.