1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Faces Eviction by Senior Living Center for Holding Bible Studies

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Aug 24, 2018.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A retired pastor in Virginia is facing potential eviction from his senior living community for hosting a Bible study.

Attorney’s say residents at Evergreens at Smith Run in Fredericksburg, Virginia asked Ken Hauge to lead a Bible study in the complex’s community room last year in January 2017.

Hauge, a retired Lutheran Minister, agreed and applied to the apartment complex manager to reserve the community room for the Bible study, putting down the $100 deposit.

First Liberty Legal Group says the apartment manager refused to allow him to call the event a “Bible Study,” saying he could rent the room but would have to call it a “Book Study.”

More than a year later, in July 2018, the Evergreens living community adopted a new policy prohibiting residents from engaging in activity “for religious purposes” in the Community Room.

Lawyer’s say, that same day, Hauge and his wife, received an eviction notice informing that the realtor considers the Bible study a “business activity” which is prohibited by his lease.

The letter told Hauge that unless he stopped the Bible study, his lease will terminate on August 31st, 2018. Attorneys with First Liberty Institute pushed back saying the complex’s actions constitute religious discrimination in housing, which is a violation of the federal Fair Housing Act.

Man receives EVICTION notice for holding Bible study in senior living community!

More details:
    Cases | Ken Hauge | First Liberty

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  2. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I bet if he was sacrificing chickens in the name of ‘Jobu’, nary a word would have been said.

• Like Like x 2
  3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another incredible story. America is sick and gangrene.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without a doubt!! I am convinced that, barring a direct intervention from God Almighty, this nation is doomed morally, socially, and politically.
    We may even have something akin to a revival that will hopefully shake up many half-asleep Christians, but as for America as a nation, I see no hope other than His direct intervention; and I see no reason for Him to be that merciful to this nation.

5. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This country is in the fast lane on the Highway to Hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was watching a TV broadcast of Nazi Germany the other day. It appears that Himmler was implementing a religious culture of mystical gods of Germany and was throwing out all forms of Christianity. Perhaps the management has also seen these programs have come to the same conclusions as the Nazis who got it from the German philosopher Frederick Nietzsche who was a critic of Christianity, sighting that it would just slow you down. Far better to promote all sorts of pagan idols and throw out the Reign of God. To perfer that is to create an absurd worldview. Sad that they would use such draconian tactics to rob the elderly of their own wish to know their true God. Feels like Christ and his followers are in exile.

• Agree Agree x 1