1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor Insults Congregation

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Sapper Woody, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Not really sure what that worries you.

As I said, a righteous rebuke will often times offend people. They are a family. And I see nothing wrong with a pastor who has been at a church for 24 years rebuking his flock.

If this pastor is abusive, then you better line up the majority of the folks on this board and peg them the same thing because of what they say.

I take folks to task for unrighteous judgment. Neither you nor anyone else on this board has any insight as to what this pastor has said to these individuals wheras I'm well aware of the unrighteous comments that people on this board make.

One has to wonder if the lot of you think that because you believe it's abusive that it measures up as such?

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I didn't ask what the DI's motives were. I asked if they did what he did? And they do. Seems like yall are okay with everybody else rebuking except the pastor.

Nice flippant attitude. Serving in the military is not a defining factor for knowing whether someone publicly rebukes. I asked Sapper because if that's his avatar, I assumed he served and was well aware that DIs DO publicly rebuke just as athletic coaches and others do.

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you just proved my point that you don't understand the difference. Motive has EVERYTHING to do with it.

When a DI "rebukes," it's because s/he is making sure that the person being "rebuked" understands that their action(s) or inaction affect the entire unit and possibly the mission. The "rebuke" is intended to ensure the individual realizes s/he is part of a bigger whole, with a bigger purpose; and that purpose can't be fulfilled without each and every member not only fulfilling their own role, but assisting every other member in fulfilling theirs, too.

As has been pointed out multiple times to you, this pastor was focused on the letter "I". Argue it all you want, but using drill instructors is a faulty analogy.

4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That may have proved your point. But it has NOTHING to do with mine as I again asked IF they did it, not why.

And I suppose you just happen to have information that this isn't the reason that the Pastor was rebuking? You have no more insight as to the Pastor's motives than anyone else.

So because the Pastor said "I", it wasn't a proper rebuke? Pure silliness brought on by this cult mentality of if "we feel this way about what he did, then it has to be wrong".

So you and yours feel the way that you do. I STILL don't have a problem with what the pastor did and cannot call him abusive based upon what I saw. I see more of a Biblical call to do what he did than not.

5. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you might as well have asked if any of us yell at our dogs. You can't separate motivation from action.

No, it wasn't. And it doesn't have anything to do with a "cult mentality." It has to do with proper application of scripture.

What sin did the man who fell asleep commit? Sleeping during the preaching is a sin? Where do we find that in scripture?

We rebuke sin and sinful behavior. Where do you justify that this man was sinning and deserved public rebuke?

I simply see a preacher who got upset that someone fell asleep on him. And thus, he was offended. What does scripture tell us about how to deal with offenses? (Matthew 18 comes to mind)

Well, huh. I seem to recall they used that same line of reasoning during the Crusades, the Inquisition, and a few other incidents throughout the ages where people "needed" to be "rebuked."

Scripture also says "ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted."

My apologies to Mr. Sapp, but again: Where was the sin that required public rebuke?

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Or I may have asked how many of you do on this board exactly what you're complaining about the pastor doing? The point you were trying to make for YOU had nothing to do with the question I asked.

What it has to do with is proper twisting to attempt to make your point. The pastor rebuked some folks. There is nothing twisted in Scripture about that.

Did the pastor say to him that falling asleep during church was a sin? As I said before, we don't know what else the pastor had said to this person or how many times he's had to address it. SO give the man of God the benefit of the doubt instead of jumping on board and trying to tear down his motives as one would expect the world to be doing. There's stuff we don't know about the situation.

Where do you justify that you or anyone else knows what the pastor has had to say to this young man prior that may have led to the rebuke?

How do you know that this guy hasn't had problems with obeying and respecting authority his entire life and that the pastor had been counseling him about his disrespect for authority?

That's right. That's what YOU see. That doesn't mean that's all that was there. So give the man of God the benefit of the doubt.

Well I seemed to recall that we're talking about what Pastor Standridge did. Somebody else's wrong doesn't automatically put him in the same boat.

That same Scripture says Proverbs 27:5

Better is open rebuke than hidden love.

1 Timothy 5:20

As for those who persist in sin, rebuke them in the presence of all, so that the rest may stand in fear.

You'd have to ask the pastor who did it that question. Everyone is just assuming they know why he did it when there is OBVIOUSLY a lot we're not privy to.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The question here isn't even one of rebuke. It's the frightening attitude and spirit (or lack of it) behind it. It wouldn't have mattered if it was done in private. It would have been just as wrong.

8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

He showed about the same amount of love to his members as you do here on the BB. :tongue3:

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Goes both ways. I love yall just fine. It's the funky, nasty attitudes that accompanies the response to anyone who disagrees with the majority POV that yall can keep.

10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, ain't that the pot calling the kettle....?

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I didn't know pots could talk.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thus, I'm confirmed in my suspicion that your only intention is to stir things up.

13. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is spiritual abuse, plain and simple.

If the pastor TRULY had the love for his flock that Christ has for the church, he would be more concerned for the church members' health than whether or not HE was being "ignored." It's not about HIM.

Think about it. If someone makes the effort to come to church, but falls asleep, there's a medical problem there, not a spiritual problem. Sleep apnea comes to mind. The one sleeping may not be getting enough oxygen at night. This is a serious problem and anyone with compassion should be able to discern it!

To call someone worthless for whom Christ died is horrible. It's demeaning and verbally abusive. This is not godly rebuke. This pastor seems to set himself up as the Holy Spirit, judging the people and filling himself with pride. So sad. He should publicly apologize to his congregation and seek some spiritual counseling if he plans to continue to pastor.

#33 abcgrad94, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You feel free to be confirmed in whatever you wish. I'll just place you in with the rest of the ones who cry racism, racebaiter, troll and now intend to stir things up.

Just a bunch of words coming from folks who can't stand that someone would dare take a POV that's different from their own.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Sleep apnea might be a problem cause I've definitely seen that before. But based upon our insight, it very well may also be that the guy just fell asleep because he was tired or bored. :laugh:

I still say that we should give the pastor the benfit of the doubt since we don't know the conversations he may have had with these people prior.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Further investigation found the following comments from the pastor that reaffirms my belief that tehre was nothing wrong with what he did amongst his church family.

Unresolved issues , at least for me, points to the possibility that the pastor has had to deal with a lot of this before.

17. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe that he has had to deal with lots of people falling asleep in his services.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Tom I'm in the process of watching the whole sermon. And I must say, the way that the pastor is setting up the sermon and personal responsibility speaks volumes as to why he may have done tings this way.

This is a man who loves his church family and it does come across in his sermon.

#38 Zaac, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

This pastor exhibits none of the qualities of a Christ like attitude. Had he been my pastor, when he said he would pack and take his car down the road, I would have bought him the suitcases. This is the last thing a local church needs in reaching a lost and dying world.

20. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if the pastor had previous conversations with his members, his big mistake is making things personal, because he sets himself up as judge and jury. His job is to LOVE his flock and share God's word, not use the pulpit to bully people, especially by name like that.

I think every pastor gets frustrated with church members not pulling their share, not displaying more commitment to the things of God, etc. but this man made it about HIM. Statements like, "I'M important, you will listen to ME; you might do your English teacher that way, but not ME; you're worthless," indicate he's taking their behavior as against HIM. These are statements made while in the flesh. It's not about HIM, it's about God. The pastor is just the servant of God. He is not God, he is the messenger. If people reject God, they reject God. It has nothing to do with HIM forcing people to respect him and his "authority."

One statement that really shows this fleshly attitude is when he says, "If you don't know what you've done wrong, then you don't care about what I'm trying to do right. That sentence alone is so judgmental, demeaning, and full of pride. It's spiritually abusive and destructive not only to the person he addressed, but to all who hear it.

If this man truly loved his flock, he would simply preach the word and let the spirit of God convict hearts. The Holy Spirit is perfectly able to do his own job without this man's "help."