1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor search committees and #metoo

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rlvaughn, Jul 30, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Over at SBC Voices, Tony Jones wrote and posted We Can Do Something – Thoughts on Protecting our Churches from Sexual Predators. In it Jones identifies “our #metoo problem” and suggests “some practical steps that churches can take.” Jones is writing primarily to Southern Baptist churches and the SBC, but sexual immortality, sexual assault, etc. is certainly not just their problem. While I won’t criticize Jones’s advice too much -- because it is directed at the way most Baptist churches find and call pastors -- I wonder whether our focus shouldn’t be more on asking whether that tradition meets scriptural ideals, and if it is the right way, best way, to find and call a pastor. Is this the way, or look we for another? Here are some excerpts from Jones’s advice to individual churches:
    In the comment section, David Rogers stated, “Ideally, churches should look for home-grown pastoral leadership from within their own congregation.” He didn’t disagree with thorough investigation if the church looks “outside,” just pointed out a difference between what he sees as the norm and the ideal. Over the years I have come to the same conclusion -- that we should pray for God to raise up men among us, and generally call those we know. There is no perfect solution in an imperfect world, but I believe this is an improvement, a move in the right direction.

What are your thoughts on calling pastors and feeling secure about their background and morals?

2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We do background checks for everyone that will deal with minors.

As far as spies, I reckon we do the same thing at work if the position merits that level of inquiry. Except we have official investors.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What in the world does the financials of a pastor have to do with the #metoo movement? Nothing at all. The liberals over at SBC Voices have a habit of trying to stir up all kinds of unnecessary social justice racist junk and mettoo junk. Both of them are from the secular world should have no place in the convention.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right, I don't think there is any necessary correlation. One could have impeccable finances and be a degenerate. My main interest is not discussing #metoo per se, but how this kind of thing is affecting the way search committees research their potential pastoral candidates (and if there is a better way).

When I saw the word "spies" I thought to myself that sounded weird. Maybe not.
    Does this include volunteers as well as employees?

#4 rlvaughn, Jul 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We follow something called the Good Shepherd guidelines. I tried to pull something up online, but had no luck. I can get the offfice to email me the packet if you're interested.

6. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sure I would find it interesting, but wouldn't ask you to go to that trouble. Thanks, though.

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When we called the Associate Pastor - who since my retirement has become pastor - we did criminal, civil and financial background checks. We also called not only his references, but asked those people to give us the name of 2 people who also knew him and his family. These were thoroughly vetted and questioned. One other area was to search social networking sites like FB, Instagram and twitter.

btw, we do background checks on everyone who works with children. The church we are currently attending did a background check on my wife and I when we took volunteer positions that might bring us into contact with children, even though the Pastor was a close personal friend.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

Since you subjected your self to a background check - - then no one else can complain about having their background check out.

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, people can complain about anything. My biggest hang ups with the background checks is the fact I used to run them at the P. D. and know how worthless they are. The purpose code they are run under shows almost nothing. You would be as well off to just look at the sex offender registry. Now a check run by fingerprint under the Criminal Justice use only purpose code would be useful, but running that would be illegal. Just keep on mind, a clear background check DOES NOT mean they have a clear background.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reynolds, interesting info

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. At my place of employment (I am bi-vocational) our HR has run background checks that came up clear, only to find out the "dirt" later when something happened. In at least one case, hindsight proved that a Google search would have turned up the "dirt" that the background search did not!

#11 rlvaughn, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018