1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor warns Christians not to play Mega Millions lotto

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Mar 30, 2012.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

$104 is about 1/2 of what some live on in one year in some other countries

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the question I would ask that legalistic pastor. "If I win the Mega Millions lottery, and get a check for $250,000,000, and write a tithe check to the church for $25,000,000, will you give it back or deposit it in the church account?" :D:D

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Statistically speaking, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning on the way to buy a lottery ticket.

That being said (or written), the "spiritual suicide" comment is sheer nonsense. I used to be in a group who played the lottery (at work), and we had a blast picking numbers every week. It all started with a water-cooler discussion about the Statistics courses we took in college. [If you took Statistics, we were specifically discussing the differences between the mean, median, mode - and whether or not they could be used to pick winning numbers.] Any money we made playing the lottery (and it was very little) was put back in the pot to pick the numbers for the next week. It was a great way to bond as a group at work, and was a great team-building exercise. I actually looked forward to the Friday meeting with everyone.

Bear in mind that we didn't really spend much money on it. If someone is playing with money they can afford to lose, it is not "spiritual suicide." IMO, some people need to get over themselves.....

Regards,
    BiR

4. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe in gambling as well as don't believe in playing the lottery. As I also heard some bad news after people get into the lottery. And win as money really does not buy happiness. It only leads to hardships.

At times like these, I am glad I am not rich. No offense.