1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastor Yanked From Capitol Over 'Jesus' Prayer

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jul 9, 2010.

1. RAdam

RAdam New Member

If one is asked to pray, he/she isn't forcing his/her beliefs on anyone. If someone asks me to pray, they better be prepared to hear me pray in the name of Jesus Christ. If you don't want to hear it, don't ask me to pray.

2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all, "seperation of church and state" is not a legal edict, but a political philosophy.

Second, the idea of "seperation of church and state" refers to the state not interfering in the affairs of the church, not to revoking the right of Christians or others with religious beliefs to practice them publically.

I take it you've never studied the lives and beliefs of our Founding Fathers or the events of the Continental Congress in Philadelphia that led to the drafting of the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution.

And what was the rule? Did they not know he was a Baptist preacher when they asked him to pray?

3. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would just assume that they knew I am a Christian and, as such, would pray as a Christian.

4. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, it's from a letter written by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association of Danbury, Connecticutt but, the sad state of education being what it is in this country, you're excused for not knowing that.

Agreed. They should be free to leave, just as all of the people in this case were.

Who is forcing anybody to do anything?

The difference, of course, is that "In God We Trust" is not an axiomatic statement of religious belief, but an acknowledgement of the history and nature of our republic.

I'm sorry, did you just say that Christ never mandated that we worship Him???

And who is doing that?

I've been in that situation many, many times. I don't see what the problem was. I never burst into flames. I never had a nervous breakdown. I never said that their right to pray according to their religion should be curtailed. I just sat there politely and abstained from participating in their prayer. I don't understand why atheists and liberals can't do the same.

And to paraphrase Emeril Lagasse, "I don't know what Bible youse been readin', but mine don't say that". Jesus imposed His beliefs on others all the time and still does.

#24 JohnDeereFan, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2010