1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastor's advice on Calvinism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, May 29, 2014.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Words of wisdom. :applause::applause:

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Evan... I don't envy your situation. When spouses are close theologically, but differ on certain issues conflicting w/ where they go to church... that just sucks. My parents are in a similar boat, more over style than doctrine. I wish there was a silver bullet to fix the problem. But prayer and patience is likely the best solution.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By the way folks this is just another example of Calvinists who sneak into churches with the goal of making it a Calvinist church. And it is evil.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with Rev, if you where doing this in the church I pastor, I would ask you to leave, politely the first time, not so much the second.

5. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Which I why I agree not to mention Calvinism or Reformed by name again.

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You whine about Calvinists almost as much as Winman.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have no goal to make it a Calvinist church however when my opinion is asked I will use Reformed theology.

SS is my opinion plain and simple.

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No one can ask me to leave any church without a clear case of division and all I do is use my POV in SS like everyone else. I am not passing out flyers, Calvinist books or the like.

LOOK I HAVE LEARNED FROM MY PAST MISTAKES!!!

IN 2010 I went to an Arminian church passed out books they did not agree with and caused other division. I learned the error of my ways and after they talked to me I hit the road.

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Thank you brother for your kindness.

All I do is express my POV in SS and fellowship meals just like everyone else. Yes my POV is Reformed so I agreed not to use the word Reformed again. But my POV is Reformed.

I will not cause division like I did in an Arminian church 4 years ago. I have learned from my mistakes. Then I passed out books and was on a crusade to change the pastoral staff to Calvinism and it did not work. I hit the road after they had a chat with me. I was STUPID!

10. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Much as it pains me to defend the Arminians, if you feel you have to surreptitiously introduce Reformed theology, at the risk of causing division, you need to leave, for the sake of the harmony of that church and go find another church.

As much as I disagree with Arminian theology, and as big jerks as the ones here are, Arminianism is still well within the bounds of orthodoxy. While you may think you're helping, all you're going to do is introduce division in the church. What's more, by joining the church, you made an agreement to honor, if not agree, with their doctrine. For you to try to go around that is a sin and you need to stop.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Perhaps this may be the solution.

12. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

Evan maybe you and I should write Dear Abbey about our problems. :flower:

13. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why, why, why? This is such misguided thinking. It's a slap in the face to the church, your wife and to overall unity of the church, which Jesus prayed literally prayed for among his followers. When you join a church you agree to certain parameters, if you can't abide by these parameters, then you need to leave.

And yes, Toto, I can ask you to leave. If you choose not to leave willingly, we will initiate removing you from the church membership. That you don't see what you're doing as division and harmful, says something about your maturity as a believer.

14. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not trying to add to the word of God at all! I've never heard your particular interpretation of that passage in my life, not even while in Bible college. Not saying you're wrong, but I've always heard that taught as division within the brethren of Christ, not as division of lands. Where did you find that? I'd like to look at it closer to see for myself. Thanks.

Regardless, Evangelist IS causing division in his church and that is wrong.

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think he actually "joined" as a member in the first place, did he?

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think even WinMan has more sense than you! I am not afraid of Armianism as you do Calvinism. A old pastor of mine from the past welcomed diversity in the church and was not afraid of opposing views. Yes he allowed Arminian in the church.

17. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But THIS pastor of your current church has made himself clear about the situation. You would be wise to follow his instruction or find another church.

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

I agree with your interpretation of Proverbs 6:19, not that my opinion means anything. The NT also says to mark those who cause division in the church.

Rom 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
    18 For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

Evan may disagree with the doctrine of his church, but they are agreed and he is causing division contrary to their doctrine and should be avoided.

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

John, you are still doing the same thing. Didn't you give your pastor a book by Paul Washer if I am not mistaken?

You need to go to that Reformed church, you will be much happier there, and so will your current church.

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Yes and he never mentioned it or read if I bet. I think I will just focus on the essentials of the faith.