1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors and voting

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I know that if a Pastor tells his congregation who to vote for in an election the church can lose their tax exempt status. But suppose the Pastor had a bumper sticker on his automobile, would that violate any law?

2. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

No. The pastor is an independant citizen who has the right to support anyone he wishes.

BTW--I find it strange that the conservative churches are being focused upon in these areas. But John Kerry can go to a liberal church with Sharpton and J. Jackson and somehow that is perfectly legitamate. Go Figure.

Bro Tony

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

But would it be a kind of back door way to tell his congregation who to vote for?

BTW I totally agree. Remember what happened when GW went to Bob Jones U?

4. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

I agree it is a back door way. I personally would not do it. I realize that as a pastor we have enfluence on people. There is however, nothing illegal about it. Now if you asked should a pastor do it. My personal opinion would be no.

Bro Tony

5. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about just putting a sticker that said VOTE!

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Sounds good to me.

Bro Tony

7. Deborah B.

Deborah B. New Member

Just make sure the bumper sticker says "Vote Bush"!!!!!!

[​IMG]

Deborah

8. spreacher

spreacher New Member

I made mention to my congregation the other day that when it comes to animals, I prefer elephants over donkeys. ;) A few laughed while the rest had no idea what I was saying. Come to think of it, they seem that way often!

9. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

Good one spreacher! [​IMG]

I don't think so. I think it would tell me who HE is voting for.

My preacher has a certain logo on his car stating where he bought his car. Is he telling me where to buy mine?

No! He is telling me where he bought HIS.

We have no right to take a Pastor's rights as a human being and a citizen away. Why should everyone in the world be allowed to have political bumper stickers on their cars except Pastors? :confused:

(BTW, my Pastor does not sport a bumper sticker, but I would see nothing wrong with it if he did.)

JMHO,
    §ue

10. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

To me, it's not a matter of exerting undue influence. I don't do it, because I wouldn't want to alienate anyone who attends at the church. Not everyone has the same political philosophy I do.

11. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

I don't know too many Pastors who are afraid that they are having TOO MUCH influence on their congregation. It usually comes as a complete surprise when they ARE listened to.

12. Trapper

Trapper New Member

This pastor has a Bush/Cheney sticker on his truck and the wifes car!!!!!!!!!!
    Also, everyone in the church knows who I support without me saying a word about it in the pulpit.
    If they ask me who I'm voting for I tell them, then I tell them why.
    Yet many in the congregation are embarrassed by their vote and even worse, can't tell you why their are voting that way.
    Trapper

13. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Me and my husband have 2 GW stickers on our car. [​IMG]

My husband says from the pulpit, "I can't tell you who to vote for, but I'll tell ya' that any Christian shouldn't vote for a liberal, baby-killing, gay-marriage supporter." I can proudly say, our congregation is in total agreement every time with a hearty, "AMEN!!"

14. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Well, that eliminates Bush and Kerry.

"...The Title X funding level for FY 2001, the last Clinton-influenced budget, was a total of $254 million, of which over $58 million went to planned parenthood

In FY 2002, George W. Bush's first full budget year, the Title X birth/population control and Planned Parenthood funding authorization increased over 11,000,000, to $265 million (HR 3061 for FY 2002, signed by President Bush on 1/10/2002)

In FY 2004, George W. Bush's most recently completed full budget year, the Title X birth/population control and Planned Parenthood funding authorization increased even more to $280 million, over $26,000,000 ($26 million) more than Bill Clinton's last budget year! (HR 2673 for FY 2004, signed by President Bush on 1/23/2004)
    ..."

Lots more HERE

15. Pastor J

Pastor J New Member

A Pastor has every right to engage in politics without fear of losing his tax exemption if his church is not a "non-profit" and is under the IRS guidelines for a church. I have made mention of voting for GW numerous times. My church and I are active in the Republican party and the IRS/State/Town can do nothing about it.

16. Pennsylvania Jim

Do you think you are making any progress in bringing the GOP back to conservative and Christian values?

17. FBCPastorsWife

FBCPastorsWife New Member

Pennsylvania Jim, thanks for the "stats" but the statement is made simply to say that he is not voting for Kerry (hence the "liberal").

18. DavidsAngel

DavidsAngel Guest

That would come down to his personal opinion. It would be the same as a yard sign displayed in his yard. He is stating his opinion. In a semon though that is diffrent. Because, he is directing his flock. And, his personal political afflications should not be a factor.

To be hoenst to be a pastor is the greatest and the most challenging job in the world. You have to be impratial and love everyone no matter who they are. Pastor's aren't given the luxury to say, I don't like them. Or it's not supposed to be that way.

19. Pennsylvania Jim

OK. I hope nobody misconstrues it and thinks that he's pulling for the liberal Bush.

20. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't you ever give up and let other people have their own opinions?