1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pastors call to fly Christian Flag above U.S. Flag

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by McCree79, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Similarly to my analogy, replacing my father in a place of honor with my wife, it wouldn't show any more honor to my wife, but show dishonor to my father.

Regardless of our intent to show honor to one flag, the world wouldn't see it. They would only see dishonor on the other. This would hurt our testimony with the world, and ultimately bringing more dishonor to the symbol we're trying to show more honor for.

2. Sapper Woody

It is to the world, and that's my point.

You have to view it from the viewpoint of the world. They will view it as a dishonor, again, bringing dishonor to the very symbol we'd be trying to honor.

I understand that it does, but I don't understand why.

3. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, it would be better for the church to just take down the American flag and run the Christian Flag, as Crabtownboy as stated earlier(or more exact he said cross)? You can't expect all churches to continue to fly the American flag when the country (government and people) don't represent the preceptive will of God.

4. Sapper Woody

I would be ok with that. Not flying a flag is fine. There's nothing dishonorable about that. I think it's unnecessary, but it wouldn't be wrong or insulting.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying. It seems to more presumptuous on your part more than anything else.

I don't know that.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take down the Christian flag -- I'd almost agree with. I don't know the history of the Christian flag, but I've always associated flags as symbols for countries. This country was founded on the principle of freedom of religion, not any particular religion. The Christian flag doesn't make sense to me, as our "symbols" are the Cross and the Bible. I say "almost" because I also believe in personal and spiritual liberty. If God is moving you to display the Christian flag, then do so.

Take down the cross -- nope. Never.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    there is the POW MIA flag, and when I was in service each branch had its own flag as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Well said.:thumbsup:

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

That's EXACTLY what it would do.

So I say again, if Christians need people to know that they honor God before country, do it with a Holy lived life that gives God His due honor. Don't try to excuse it on a flag.

The whole Christian flag thing will become another example of us having no substance. Folks will rally around it because they think it's such a good idea as an expression of our honoring God over country.

The only problem is that the people inside the church aren't doing that. It will become like the fish symbols.

Stick a Cross finial at the top of the flagpole. But placing a flag above the US flag is just a bad idea for a whole host of reasons.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

No one has ever made a church fly the American flag. It became more of the "thing" to do as churches became more and more politically influenced. I've never seen any reason to display the US flag in a church or outside a church other than for special occasions (holidays, to show national unity, recognition of servicemen, funerals, etc.).

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have found no record indicating when the national flag was first displayed in a church. It was officially sanctioned as permissible to do so in Catholic churches in 1911.

I did find an article that shows the flag being used in the United States by German Lutheran Churches during WW I. This was done to show the congregation sided with the US and not Germany. Many non-German Americans harbored ill feelings toward Germans during WW I and, indeed, in WW II. If this is true it means the flag was shown for a secular reason, a secular reason and not a spiritual one.

http://www.wlsessays.net/files/ValleskeyHistoryUseFlagsLutheranChurch.pdf

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good point. I should have said "countries and organizations." But none of those flags have ever been, nor will ever be, in consideration to be above the US flag.

13. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

14. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities; for there is no authority except from God, and those authorities that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists authority resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. Romans 13:1-2

If you just want to pick a verse here or there, we could day that all day. The whole of scripture says that we are to be good citizens until the government asks us to be unfaithful Christians. So, for now I will be a good citizen, part of which is flying the flag in the manner so prescribed by the government it symbolizes.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Precisely. The folks who are talking about flying this "Christian flag" above the US flag would probably be the first ones to scream bloody murder and unpatriotic if somebody flew an Islam flag or any other religious flag over the US flag.

17. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or be the first ones to welcome a government program that would enforce their religious views, or welcome a rewrite of textbooks to reflect their false views of history.