1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pastors please look here!

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by vwdad2001, Jul 24, 2002.

1. vwdad2001

vwdad2001 Guest

Hello Pastors,
    My name is Larry and I am a volunteer with Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief-El Paso TX.
    From June 21-27 2002 I was a volunteer helping the Salvation Army feed & comfort folks at the Hayman forest fires located in Divide Colorado. The fire cost over 300 homes and left thousands devastated even now.
    But my point is this, more Baptist need to get involved in volunteering with Disaster Relief in your community. From El Paso SBC Disaster Relief only 2 of us volunteered to help. Salvation Army flew us up to Co for a week and back and what a experience!
    Being pastors of churchs it is your resonsibility in times of disasters to go to your local relief agencies and say what can we do? Remember kids! Offer a cup of cold water in Jesus name". We finally got the volunteers we needed but you would never guess from where! The Mormons! came to our rescue to help feed and comfort these folks & Thank God too!
    So get your church involved folks! Locally & nationally! Its free and feels great! And if any one says they are too old then ask them this question. Where would we be if Jesus had said "I am too old to help"
    email me back and let me know how you are involved or how you plan to get involved.
    Thanks & God Bless

Larry in El Paso Tx.
    [email protected]

2. bro jeff

bro jeff New Member

brother you are right we need to be involved not only in disaster relief, but in all things we must be heard what about the killing of babies, the poisoning of teenagers, we must speakout!!

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IFB'ers have traditionally given little or no support to anything short of mission work reaching the unsaved with the Gospel, local church planting, etc.

Am amazed at how successful MISSIONARIES work in hospitals, clinics, relief agencies, etc. Yet we neglect that right here at home.

Our church gives annual donations to the rescue mission, the food bank, the women's pregnancy center, salvation army clothing program, battered women home, youth crisis center, YMCA meal program, etc

But, of course, I am interim pastor at an Evangelical Free church, not a Baptist . . .