1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Pauls salvation

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by awaken, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    basically, same thing thathappens today in church when one lays hands by pastor/elders upon missionaries/evangelists and send them out in prayer!

It "commissioned" him to start his ministry among the gentiles...

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

I thought Jesus had already commissioned Him?
    Why was he not filled with the Holy Spirit when he was saved on the road?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    why wearn't the Apostles until Pentacost?

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

Your questions are confusing...I do not know how you stand on this??
    But after Pentecost everyone was suppose to be saved and filled and baptized all at once, right?

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apostles were saved, but not indwelt by the Spirit as we are until Pentacost, so ALL today who received jesus are saved, baptized by HSinto Body of Chrsit, but being filled with HS is a moment by moment decision we make! ALL indwelt, some infilled!

6. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't think this is accurate brother. The Disciples did have to wait until Jesus was glorified to receive the Holy Spirit, but according to the scripture they received it before Pentacost...

"And when he had said this, he breathed on [them], and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:" (John 20:22)

They then had to wait until Pentacost to receive the infilling power of the Holy Ghost. Let's face the truth, no one since the Apostles has had all the gifts given by the Holy Spirit. They were full. We today receive portions of the gifts available from the Holy Spirit. We can be "baptized" again and again with power and gifts, maybe permanent gifts, or a gift or power given for a certain work at a certian moment that the Lord wants something accomplished through us for His glory.

We had a pastor once who said the same thing Awaken mentioned, that when one is born-again one receives all of the Holy Spirit. That simply makes no sense at all. If I had all of the Holy Spirit then I could move mountains, touch and heal all infirmities in the name of Jesus, speak in all foriegn tongues, etc.

We are given the Holy Spirit at rebirth, whatever portion that may be as a seal of ownership, a Comforter and a source of power to repent of sin and begin a journey of sanctification. Some may receive additional gifts at that same time and some may receive gifts later in life.

The Holy Spirit is so infinite a Being who could ever explain all of His works and operations in this world??? Praise Him! :thumbs:

7. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you are saying that the Apostles were saved as the OT saints were?
    By faith?
    So what did they receive in John 20:22 as Steaver mentioned?
    What did they receive on the Day of Pentecost?

What did Paul receive on the road to Damascus?

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Greetings Awaken, I have not followed all of your post so I do not know your testimony of your Holy Spirit baptism. What happened? Did you receive any special gifts? Just curious, I'm not setting you up to tear you down. If you don't want to post it publicly, just pm me. Thanks!

9. awaken

awaken Active Member

I sent you a pm!

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i am saying that that the Apsotles had the Sprit upon them, just as he was upon prophets in OT, but that He did not reside and indwell them in a permenant basis until pentacost!

11. awaken

awaken Active Member

I have heard this all my life! Can you share scripture to back this up?

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus told his Apsotles that the HS right now abided with them, on them, but a day was coming when He would be in them!

17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.
    john 14:17

#32 Yeshua1, Mar 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2013
  13. awaken

awaken Active Member

So you are saying they received this on the Day of Pentecost?
    So when did Paul receive the indwelling HS? On the road to Damascus or when Ananias laid hands on him in Acts 9?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When he called jesus his lord in desert, and he was filled by the Spirit when his blindness was removed from him by the lord..

Same way, we all got the HS at rebirth, but we can still be refilled moment by moment each day!