1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PC Emulator on Macs?

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by NateT, Jul 14, 2005.

1. NateT

NateT Member

I know with Linux there is WINE which supposedly intercepts the Windows APIs and translates them to linux APIs. Does anything similar exist for Macs?

I'm asking b/c I've written some Greek software which I am going to be selling to some students this fall and wanted to be prepared in case a student was using a Mac and wanted to buy it.

Thanks

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been told you there is a program that allows pc programs to run fine, but don't know what it is. I think it comes on some new macs.

You could call a mac store and they could tell you the name so you can research it.

3. Grand_Poobah

Grand_Poobah New Member

Mac OS X is on BSD Unix, which would run WINe (the Windows Emulator). That does a fine job on notepad, and a few other extremely basic windows applications. WINe does the standard Windows API. Since you've written software, hopefullly this won't be "Greek" to you (couldn't resist the pun, sorry): there's virtually no MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++) support. IF it's written in VB, there only slim hope. Your best hope is if it was written in C/C++ with no MFC, or in Assembly.

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Give it a year and you can buy a Mac with an Intel chip that will also run Windows.

5. superdave

superdave New Member

I am not sure about running WINe on MAC, I have used it in Linux and Solaris. Mac tends to not support things that you would think a Unix based OS would support, but who knows. google it and see what crazy things folks have compiled out there.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Or save the trouble and money and tell them to just buy a PC to begin with.

7. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If they have a Mac, they already have a Personal Computer.

Microsoft sells an emulator that should work well with Greek software. There are also a small number of other options.

When the Intel versions of the Macintosh come out next year, users will have the choice of installing Windows on their system if they feel some strange compulsion to attract viruses.