1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl Buck and J. Gresham Machen

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Rippon, May 4, 2018.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have before me David B. Calhoun's book : Princeton Seminary Volume 2. (p.518)

"After Machen's death Pearl S. Buck, noted author and former Presbyterian missionary whom Machen had vigorously criticized because of her liberal views, wrote a tribute to her opponent."

The New Republic of January 30, 1937 quotes her :
    We have lost a man whom our times can ill spare, a man who had convictions which were real to him and who fought for those convictions and held to them through every change in time and human thought. There was power in him which was positive in its very negations. He was worth a hundred of his fellows who, as princes of the church, occupy easy places and play their church politics and trim their sails to every wind, who in their smug observance of the convictions of life and religion offend all honest and searching spirits. No forthright mind can live among them, neither the honest sceptic nor the honest dogmatist. I wish Dr. Machen had lived to go on fighting them."

In a book by Hilary Spurling called Pearl Buck in China: Journey to the Good Earth (p.210), the author says there was a "public witch hunt spearheaded by a hard-core fundamentalist, Dr. J. Gresham of Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, who charged the Mission Board with scandalous laxity, identifying Mrs. J. L. Buck as the prime culprit and demanding her immediate dismissal as an unbeliever. Machen's challenge was the signal for a further round of accusation and counteraccusation. There were calls for Lossing and as well as his wife to lose their jobs."

I believe Buck's account rather than Spurling's.

I am a fan of Buck, having read about 15 of her books. However, she was not a Christian. She openly said so in numerous places denying cardinal doctrines of the Bible.

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's probably been 25 years or more since I've read The Good Earth.

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Syracuse Herald, May 18, 1933

[Lucy Peabody was founder and president of the Association of Baptists for Evangelism in the Orient, now ABWE, the Association of Baptists for World Evangelism]

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Associated Press, April 18, 1933

Dr. Cleland McAfee is the same guy who devised the TULIP acronym!

5. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw Pearl Buck once in a public lecture. When I was in high school, I read every book of hers in the local public library. I bought her book on Korea a couple of years ago but stopped reading it when the Japanese assassinated the Korean Queen. When I saw her, she was talking about all of the children of American soldiers who were left in Asian countries. That was a half century ago, or more.