1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pentagon Nixes 9/11 Hearing Testimony

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Sep 22, 2005.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Pentagon Nixes 9/11 Hearing Testimony
    By Kimberly Hefling
    The Associated Press

Wednesday 21 September 2005

Washington - The Department of Defense forbade a military intelligence officer to testify Wednesday about the work of a secret military unit that identified four 9/11 hijackers more than a year before the Sept. 11 terrorists attacks, according to the man's attorney.

In written testimony prepared for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing, attorney Mark Zaid, who represents Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer, said the Pentagon also refused to permit testimony there by a defense contractor that he also represents.

The Judiciary Committee was scheduled to hear testimony about the work of a classified unit code named "Able Danger."

In his prepared remarks, Zaid was ready to say on behalf of Shaffer and contractor John Smith that Able Danger, using data mining techniques, identified four of the terrorists who struck on Sept. 11, 2001 - including mastermind Mohamed Atta.

"At least one chart, and possibly more, featured a photograph of Mohamed Atta," Zaid said in his prepared remarks.

The Defense Department had no immediate comment.

On three occasions, Able Danger personnel attempted to provide the FBI with information, but Department of Defense attorneys stopped them because of legal concerns about military-run investigations on U.S. soil, Zaid said in his prepared remarks, encouraging the panel to locate a legal memorandum that he said Defense Department attorneys used to justify stopping the meetings.

Zaid also charged that records associated with the unit were destroyed during 2000 and March 2001, and copies were destroyed in spring 2004.

Rep. Curt Weldon. R-Pa., who was the first to come forward to assert that Able Danger had identified Atta and three others as being members of an al-Qaida cell, was also scheduled to testify.

If Weldon is correct, the intelligence would change the timeline for when government officials first became aware of Atta's links to the terrorist network al-Qaida.

Former members of the Sept. 11 commission have dismissed the "Able Danger" assertions.

Pentagon officials had acknowledged earlier this month that they had found three people who recall an intelligence chart identifying Atta as a terrorist prior to the Sept. 11 attacks.

In addition to Shaffer, another military officer, Navy Capt. Scott Phillpott, has come forward to support Weldon's claims. He was not on Wednesday's witness list.

Salon provides breaking news articles from the Associated Press as a service to its readers, but does not edit the AP articles it publishes.

SOURCE

Well, gag me with a writ.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes me wonder who is hiding what. And why?

3. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Looks like Bush covering up for Clinton again.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The credibility of truthout.org notwithstanding, the fact is that a hearing is not a trial, nor can anyone be compelled to appear. In this case, if the person called runs the risk of divulging secrets of national security, that person's commanders are well within their right to require of that person to refrain from being heard, and I see no reason, practical or otherwise, for that person to be heard by the committee. Whether that gives fodder to conspiracy theorists should be on no consideration.

5. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

This is an Associated Press piece Johnv.

I figure the government gets all the secrecy they require when they can use a warrantless search and gag the person who's home it took place in. Via the Patritot Act(s). No questions it's national security.

They can operate behind closed doors and we get monitored. Vive Liberty!

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Okay, but this has nothing to do with "warrantless searches", so that's a separate issue altogether.

7. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Sorry Johnv,

Guess I was trying to eat the steak whole again. Liberty being the steak. The government seems to have that problem also. [​IMG]

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I have nothing against steak, but I alesys suggest it be served with A-1.

9. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,170267,00.html

'Able Danger' Will Get Second Hearing
    Friday, September 23, 2005

WASHINGTON — The Defense Department on Friday reversed its earlier decision to bar key witnesses from testifying about just how much information the U.S. government had on the Sept. 11 hijackers before they led the attacks that killed 3,000 people.

The Senate Judiciary Committee has therefore scheduled a second hearing for next week on the formerly secret Pentagon intelligence unit called "Able Danger" (search).

Former members of Able Danger say the group identified Sept. 11 hijackers, including Mohamed Atta (search), more than a year before the attacks. Although those Able Danger analysts say they told the Sept. 11 commission about their findings, former members of the panel have so far dismissed the claim.

The Senate Judiciary Committee said in a statement Friday that the Pentagon now will allow five witnesses to testify. Among those are Army Lt. Col. Anthony Shaffer (search), Navy Capt. Scott Phillpott (search) and defense contractor John Smith (search).

11. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I can't hep but rub my hands together and smile. I'm tired of the President protecting the liberals of the age of Aquarius.

Oh this could be a biggy.

12. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

You're kidding, right. Bush is protecting his own operatives who knew much more about the attack than he wants the people of America to know about.

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

Nope.....I wasn't kidding. That's just silly

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    S&N competing with Pnut? [​IMG]