1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Perfection

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Tazman, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Matthew 5:48

"Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."

I believe this scripture really does mean that we must be perfect. I don't believe its too lofty of a command.

Why would Jesus command it if it were not possible?

Any thoughts?

2. riverm

riverm New Member

My thought is that Jesus was not primarily seeking to show those He was preaching to what God requires of the Christian in his daily life. But, Jesus did reveal God’s ultimate standard, and we Christians must take it to heart. What I feel Jesus’ primary intent was to say, is that if you want to be righteous by the law, you must keep the whole law, internal and external; that’s, what it means to be perfect.

Blessings

3. Tazman

Tazman New Member

I appreciate your response. I don't know if it is a matter of "Law" or not. I do believe that there is a perfection that is possible for us, but not a "God" perfection. God's perfection is absolute! No more to be added. However, for us I believe our perfection is perpetual, in the sense that that we can only be complete by living up to what we have already attained and continuing to learn more.

4. Kamoroso

Kamoroso New Member

Is a plant not perfect in every stage of it's growth? When we accepted Jesus Christ, we accepted our death in Him. This is so we can be born again, of the Spirit, not the flesh. Being born again, do we not need to grow up in Christ? We can be perfect in Him in all the stages of our growth. He would not have asked us to be, if we could not.

However, if we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ.

1 John 1 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Bye for now. Y. b. in C. Keith

5. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Wow!. I like that example. thanks for the reply. [​IMG]

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Just two:

1 - Persuming that it is impossible, Jesus was juxtaposing the grace of salvation. If we want to enter the Kingdom, we could either be perfect like God the Father, or allow the Son to pay the price for our transgressions.

2 - Presuming that it is possible, we need to have an attitude of ourselves that God has for us: If God created us, then we perfect just the way he made us, and once we have entered into a relationship with Him, we need to see ourselves as God sees us, and stop seeing ourselves as the world values men. Such as: God loves us and we have value to Him.

7. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

We will all be perfect when we arrive in heaven. It is a prerequsite.

8. Tazman

Tazman New Member

Just two:

1 - Persuming that it is impossible, Jesus was juxtaposing the grace of salvation. If we want to enter the Kingdom, we could either be perfect like God the Father, or allow the Son to pay the price for our transgressions.

2 - Presuming that it is possible, we need to have an attitude of ourselves that God has for us: If God created us, then we perfect just the way he made us, and once we have entered into a relationship with Him, we need to see ourselves as God sees us, and stop seeing ourselves as the world values men. Such as: God loves us and we have value to Him.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Wow! Both are interesting options. I must admit that I learned a new word. Thanks!

I'm thinking Jesus gave that command after the sermon on the mount. Jesus gave a lot of beatitudes. It would seem that being perfect is a part of a higher calling of lifestyle with God.