1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Performance Guidelines for "Lordship" Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Lou Martuneac, Jun 30, 2008.

1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!! A sinner's promise has nothing to do with salvation. It is the sinner's new-found hatred of sin that is evidence of genuine conversion. Why do you keep lying about LS?

2. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually, this is an intersting admition from you. You admit that we emphasize the RESULTS of genuine conversion. But how is it that we emphsize results and yet demand "up front" committment? If it is up front, how is it then resultant?

3. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

JD:

I mean this sincerely, but you are exhibiting a lack of understanding over what LS is and where the dividing lines are. Furthermore, either a lack of understanding or deliberate misrepresentation of what I have been saying for two decades.

First of all, “admission?” I have since 1988 always identified that there is a difference in the debate between the results of and requirements for salvation.

Second, I am demonstrating to readers that LS men prefer and always rush to discuss results and tend to avoid discussing LS’s requirements for salvation.

Third, your two questions demonstrate that lack of understanding what the crux of the debate is over, which I detailed in this thread several times. Please go back and read it again.

Fourth, my full comment was,
    And, to reiterate, I wrote that not as an admission, but a help to readers to know that LS advocates try to steer away from dealing with LS's requirements for salvation in preference for the results of salvation because that is where there is little controversy in their teaching.

LM

4. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Here again you demonstrate the very thing I have been saying. You are steering away from requirements to become a Christian in preference for thoughts on the results/evidence of having become a Christian.

What you have failed to address is LS, as defined by MacArthur, which conditions the reception of eternal life on a decision/commitment by a lost man to "turn from sin,", i.e. to stop committing sin and to start obeying.

Will you be willing to make a commitment to discuss ONLY what LS, as MacArthur defines it, requires of a lost man to be born again?

LM

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen Sp, I mean Wd, where did I say that many people coming to Christ = flawless ministry? Quit making stuff up. I said it was shameful to make an analogy between the bogus "ministry" of E.A. and that of John MacArthur. Got that? Deal with what I say, not the words you try to insert in my mouth.

I said that the ministry of John MacArthur extends 40 years. It is a solid, God-honoring ministry. J.MacArthur has lead a consistent Christian walk, and has labored in a clear exposition of the Word. There is no conceivable way for someone to liken E.A's "ministry" to that of John MacArthur.Contrasts yes, comparisons --certainly not!

6. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Here is John MacArthur from all three editions of The Gospel According to Jesus:

This is the passage Dr. MacArthur refers to as an “invitation to salvation.”

John MacArthur’s LS “invitation to salvation,” to the lost from James 4 is the LS invitation to being born again. JM is documenting what he believes is a necessary requirement for the reception of eternal life; how to be born again. He finds those elements in James 4:7-10. He believes those elements are the conditions that the lost must commit to FOR salvation.

That is what he says; it is in print, in his own words, in his own books.

LM

7. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Here is John MacArthur from all three editions of The Gospel According to Jesus:

This is the passage Dr. MacArthur refers to as an “invitation to salvation.”

John MacArthur’s LS “invitation to salvation,” to the lost from James 4 is the LS invitation to being born again. JM is documenting what he believes is a necessary requirement for the reception of eternal life; how to be born again. He finds those elements in James 4:7-10. He believes those elements are the conditions that the lost must commit to FOR salvation.

That is what he says; it is in print, in his own words, in his own books.

LM

8. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Hi, I'm back. Posted one post and then "vanished" as things got really busy. Hope I have more time to post now.

Just wanted to say - I'm glad to see this discussion here.

I've been reading up on Lordship Salvation recently, and the way I see it, it's obviously a works based salvation - and one sees a lot of it in churches and on various forums and websites, as opposed to true saving faith through the grace of Jesus Christ. What I've come to learn is that all one really needs to do is believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved - Jesus has done all the work. So simple, anyone can be saved, yet sadly, many people take the "you must repent of your sins" route first - which equates to works salvation, i.e., Lordship Salvation. Biblical repentance means a "change of mind", i.e., to turn from unbelief to belief in the Lord Jesus Christ, yet this word (repentance) is greatly misunderstood and misinterpreted to mean that one has to turn from ones sins. So in effect, if you really think about it, if one can effectively turn from one's sins in order to be saved - then why would you need a Saviour?

Regards,
    Audrey

#108 Goldie, Jul 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  9. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, John MacArthur never says that to be born again a person must be "willing to turn from sin". That is an invention of Lou Martuneac.

Secondly, the context of MacArthur's quote is "salvation begins from a human standpoint". Notice how Lou Martuneac leaves the context of the quote in an attempt to make MacArthur sound as if he is saying something that he is not.

The truth is that MacArthur believes and teaches a person is "born again" or "regenerated", prior to faith, and that faith (a gift from God) is the response to the work of Holy Spirit. Salvation is appropriated by faith, but it is all a gift of God.

This is further, irrefrutable evidence that Lou Martuneac is intellectually dishonest in the way he presents MacArthur's views.

Lou Martuneac has proven by his own distortions that he cannot be trusted to accurately and honestly state what John MacArthur believes and teaches.

Lou Martuneac should not be considered a serious scholar, writer, blogger, or contributor to the BB.

peace to you:praying:

10. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    Will Lou Martuneac ever make a commitment to accurately and honestly state what John MacArthur believes and teaches?

It has been demonstrated in this very thread that Lou Martuneac has claimed two completely contradictory views of what MacArthur believes concerning regeneration (being born again).

Lou Martuneac claims MacArthur believes regeneration (being born again) occurs prior to faith (Lou Martuneac believes it to be unbiblical), and in the same breath Lou Martuneac will claim MacArthur believes and teaches a man must have faith including commitment to works prior to being born again.

Lou Martuneac is in an argument with himself.

It has been demonstrated in this very thread that Lou Martuneac cannot (will not or is unable to) accurately state the context of a quote from MacArthur's book "The Gospel According to Jesus", despite exhalting himself as the only "expert" on the subject and lecturing everyone else not to disagree with him.

Lou Martuneac cannot be trusted to accurately and honestly state what John MacArthur believes and teaches.

Lou Martuneac should not be considered a serious scholar, writer, blogger, or contributor to the BB.

11. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

You Have It Exactly Right

Dear BB Readers:

Once again a MacArthur/LS apologist demonstrates that he does not recognize or understand what MacArthur is writing and is teaching. This time the mistake is on MacArthur’s view of repentance. The apologist wrote,
    The Grace to You website, which posts an article by Dr. MacArthur, that is touted as his definitive statement on Lordship Salvation begins with a paragraph that defines how MacArthur views a lost man must be born again. The statement is written by MacArthur and it is discussing the Gospel, the plan of salvation, the LS interpretation of how a lost man receives the gift of eternal life.
    I already posted this link, but since LS apologists continue to post comments that reveal an on-going lack of understanding of the LS message that they seek to defend, I will link to it again- John MacArthur’s Position on the Lordship of Christ

In that article, by Ps. George Zeller, you will read additional documentation of MacArthur’s view that repentance for salvation requires a lost man to “turn from sin.” Here is that portion.

#111 Lou Martuneac, Jul 21, 2008
  12. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

You Have It Exactly Right

Audrey:

Thanks for posting your note above. You have it EXACTLY right!

Your notes above are succint, and right on target. LS conditions salvation on a lost man's commitment to "turn from sin" to stop sinning and keeping that commitment to stop sinning. That is what MacArthur says, in his own words, as I have documneted from his own books.

By the way, I just wrote a new article you will appreciate. It is titled, Is Lordship Salvation a “Barter” System?

I take a theme that is in all three editions of The Gospel According to Jesus and for example I noted that,
    Thanks again for posting your comment above, it is a blessing to read one who understands the works based, non-saving message of Lordship Salvation. I am going to repeat your excellent comment here in the tread under my new article.

Kind regards,

LM

PS: I used to live in South Africa.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

npetre...I mean rippon...here are your words...

"straight and true" is pretty close to flawless, is it not?

...to which I replied to you...
    ...to which you replied...
    I think we can see who is being dishonest and avoiding what is actually said.

#113 webdog, Jul 21, 2008
  14. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

From LM's quote of "Ps." Zeller (what does "Ps." mean?):
    Once again, you've got it completely wrong. How is "turning from sins" a behavior? You are putting words in JMac's mouth that he never said. "Turning from sin" is an attitude that leads to a change in behavior. I think that's what JMac said, as Zeller himself admits:

Or should he (Zeller) have said "to quote MacArthur accurately for a change, ...."

When are you going to stop lying about John MacArthur and Lordship Salvation in general?

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

AMEN!

J Mac. always defines repentance as a change in attitude/focus which RESULTS in a change of action. If one says they have "Changed their mind", but their actions do not change, they are either self deceived, or a liar.

16. Lou Martuneac

Lou Martuneac New Member

Goldie:

I posted your comment here over at my blog and it drew a very good reply that the writer wants you to read. You can read it at...

http://indefenseofthegospel.blogspot.com/2008/07/is-lordship-salvation-barter-system.html

LM

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

18. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    To all:

I have read the quote from MacArthur several times. I still do not see the words "to be born again you must turn from your sins".

When Lou Martuneac claims that this quote from MacArthur is "his definitive statement on Lordship Salvation begins with a paragraph that defines how MacArthur views a lost man must be born again." he is putting his intellectually dishonesty on display for all to see.

The above post by Lou Martuneac proves Lou Martuneac cannot be trusted to accurately and honestly state what John MacArthur believes and teaches.

Lou Martuneac should not be considered to be a serious scholar, writer, blogger, or contributor to the BB.
    peace to all:praying:

#118 canadyjd, Jul 21, 2008
  19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This ad hominem is getting quite old. The same could be said of you.

20. canadyjd

Faith:
    Baptist
    It could be said of me, but it wouldn't be true as it is with Lou Martuneac.

I have not presented myself as an expert on John MacArthur and LS.

Even so, I can clearly see that what Lou Martuneac claims John MacArthur believes and teaches is easily demonstrated to be untrue by a simple comparison to what John MacArthur actually believes and teaches in his book and on his website.

Anyone without an agenda can easily see it as well.

Lou Martuneac has presented himself as an expert on John MacArthur and yet he cannot (will not?) accurately state the context of a quote from MacArthur's book which he often uses to smear John MacArthur with allegations of teaching a "non-saving", "works based" message that "frustrates grace".

Lou Martuneac has presented himself as an expert on John MacArthur but has given two contradictory statements concerning when MacArthur believes regeneration (being born again) occurs.

Lou Martuneac has presented himself as an expert on John MacArthur but will not acknoweldge that MacArthur on dozens of occasions in his book specifically states or alludes to his belief that salvation is completely a work of God, and is not based on any works of man.

Lou Martuneac has not let that fact stop him from a continuous smear of John MacArthur by comparing him to heretics and accusing him of teaching a non-saving message.

Your selective self-righteous indignation doesn't change that.