1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Performers who worked with Elvis

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Rippon, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been a fan of the singing of Elvis Presley for a long time. His ballads in particular are superb.
    I am not a fan of his lifestyle.

I attended seven of his concerts in the 70s. I met some band members and backup singers --J.D. Sumner and Ed Enoch stand out. I met them while they were backing Elvis and I met with them after E's death.

I can get to a pretty low bass when I want to, but when I met J.D. in 1972 because of nervousness my voice turned into a falsetto unfortunately. And I had the intention of impressing him. ;-) J.D. died in 1998.

Elvis passed away 40 years ago August 16.

Some notable deaths of his friends :
    Sonny West May 18,2017 (81)
    Red West July 18,2017 (78)

They were cousins.

Scotty Moore died June 28,2016. He was with Elvis at the start in 1954. To say Scotty was a guitarist would be an understatement.

Joe Moscheo of the Imperials died in Jan. of 2016 at age 78.

Joe Guercio --orchestra leader, conductor and arranger. Died in Dec. of 2014 at age 87.

The Living:

I never met Kathy Westmoreland "the high voice singer." I never met any of the Sweet Inspirations either.

James Burton age 77
    Jerry Scheff 76
    Ronnie Tutt 79
    Glen Hardin 78
    D.J. Fontana 86

I wish I could say I met ant of the above --but I have not. Perhaps one day I can meet up with J.B.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Burton, Tutt, and Hardin were in Emmylou Harris's Hot Band for years. Burton is still around. The album he did with Ralph Mooney is a classic.

3. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have come to think one of the greatest tragedies of Elvis' life is I don't remember him performing with other stars of his era. I put that down to "Colonel" Parker's management. At best, he didn't want to share the take with some one like Sinatra. At worst, he didn't want Elvis to compare notes with his peers. By not performing with others, Elvis didn't develop relationships outside his "posse".

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Before he hit the big time in 1956 and beyond he worked with a number of other singers.That would be from 1954 to the end of 1955.Slim Whitman and Pat Boone come to mind.
    He did a TV show with Sinatra in 1960. They sang together.
    I don't know what you mean by his posse.

He had friendships with a lot of singers.

5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also read that the Col forbid Elivis to preform for Army (during his active duty time) as that would have given the Army the rights to those concerts.
    (looking for a valid link - does anyone else have one)

6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing's for certain, there will never be another Elvis. Most singers on stage sound like they gargled razor blades right before coming on stage.

Elvis singing live was like listening to him on CD.

His trilogy song gives me chills when I hear it.

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe a lot of Elvis' troubles stem from Parker's greed and paranoia over being an illegal alien. Parker was a Dutch merchant marine sailor who jumped ship. With the lack of documentation in that era, he just melted into the general population. But, it meant later he couldn't leave the country. Which is the reason Elvis never made any foreign tours. Though, if Parker hadn't been so paranoid and greedy, he could have done a deal with the Feds. Who would want to be the INS agent that deported Elvis' manager? IIRC, he could have talked one of Tennessee's congress critters into a special bill to naturalize him. The man was penny wise and pound foolish.